Building a custom set, help me pick the chips (1 Viewer)

nezara

Flush
Reaction score
I'm working on building a custom set and looking for opinions on the chips. It's a $0.25 NL cash set, so I want 5 chips:
$0.25, $1, $5, $20, $100
I plan to relabel, so not worried about the current chip denomination.

I have 2 anchor chips that are two of my all time favorite: pca 5 and Aurora star 20. I plan to use these as the 5 & 20 in the set.
IMG_20181213_224029.jpg
MVIMG_20181213_224055.jpg

I have two options so far on the 100 and two options for the 1s.
Question #1 is which do you prefer, could mix & match combinations. Also open to suggestions on other chips that might look better.
Option 1:
Cleveland 25k & capitol City 20
IMG_20181213_224427.jpgIMG_20181213_224439.jpg

Option 2:
Aurora star 100 & es 1
IMG_20181213_224641.jpgIMG_20181213_224657.jpg

Question #2
What can I use for the $0.25 chip? Prefer a new color that's not prevalent or used at all: green, orange, purple.

Here's 2 I have so far, less confident I have the right chip yet:
Let cove 500
IMG_20181213_224958.jpgIMG_20181213_225018.jpg

EST 25
IMG_20181213_225048.jpg

What can I use for the $0.25 chip? Prefer a new color that's not prevalent or used at all: green, orange, purple.

Go with a solid THC frac. Well, lookee here, I just happen to have a huge variety for sale! Coincidence! :whistle: :whistling:
Seriously, though, one to two racks of solids with mill and label costs really won't break the bank.

Go with a solid THC frac. Well, lookee here, I just happen to have a huge variety for sale! Coincidence! :whistle: :whistling:
Seriously, though, one to two racks of solids with mill and label costs really won't break the bank.

I thought about it, while I appreciate edge spot progression I love edge spots too much to use a solid chip. I also prescribe to the theory that my frac will probably be there most used chip so it should look good

I thought the workhorse chip would be your $5? I think your inlay design will be the make or break, not your edge spot pattern. My opinion only.
Probably right about the inlay. Can't find a designer, so after I nail the chips gonna hold a contest

With the chips in that lineup, I’d say breaking the bank isn’t a concern lol.

I actually like option 2. I prefer a white $1 and a black undo, but that's just me.

Using the chips pictured in the OP:

25c = white ES $1
$1 = blue Capitol City $20
$5 = red PCA $5
$20 = yellow AS $20
$100 = black AS $100
$500 = blue Horseshoe $25000

Set is half 39mm THC and half 43mm IHC. 1/8" wide spots used on all 39mm chips and 1/4" wide spots used on all 43mm chips, while the V spots on the workhorse $1 chip tie it together with the most likely high denom in play (8V $20), and the 4T318-spotted $5 transitions well visually with the two highest denominations.

All chips stand alone on their own accord well -- no weak designs in the entire lineup -- but they still maintain a spot progression and flow as a set. A common inlay will tie it all together (I'd avoid chip/spot color-matching and similar tricks for chips this diverse).

25c = white ES $1
$5 = red PCA $5
$20 = yellow AS $20
$100 = black AS $100

Set is half 39mm THC and half 43mm IHC. 1/8" wide spots used on all 39mm chips and 1/4" wide spots used on all 43mm chips, while the V spots on the workhorse $1 chip tie it together with the most likely high denom in play (8V $20), and the 4T318-spotted $5 transitions well visually with the two highest denominations.

All chips stand alone on their own accord well -- no weak designs in the entire lineup -- but they still maintain a spot progression and flow as a set. A common inlay will tie it all together (I'd avoid chip/spot color-matching and similar tricks for chips this diverse).

^All of this^

I agree with Dave’s lineup completely. I don’t like either the le cove or es 25 as a quarter option, but the es $1 would be a great choice.

Can’t wait to see the finished set, you’ve basically got an all star lineup of chips in one set.

Has anyone ever attempted to do full inlay replacement on the Horseshoe $25k chips? I'm just wondering what happens if one removes the existing inlay, due to it being slightly larger than the recess. I'm tempted to try this with the Horseshoe Cleveland $25k (not the one pictured, can't remember which is primary/secondary).

Sorry for the derail

The black AS $100 and the primary HS Cle $25k have the same spot pattern. That would be my only small concern with the suggested lineup.

25c = white ES $1
$5 = red PCA $5
$20 = yellow AS $20
$100 = black AS $100

I like the thought, but having so much white in both the Quarter (ES1) and Dollar (CC20) would bug me. I think I need to replace one. Thoughts on other possibilities (even if not included in the lineup I have so far)?

As for the rest of the lineup unless mass inflation is about to hit I'll never use a $500 chip in my lineup. My game rarely needs $100s so I just don't see it getting into play. I take it by your comment though you think the AS100 is a better choice than the HC25K for the 100?

Yes, AS $100 >> HS $25k as a hundo.

I use those blue CCC $20s with white Aztar $1s, no issues.

Will give some thought to alternate $1s and quarters.

Has anyone ever attempted to do full inlay replacement on the Horseshoe $25k chips? I'm just wondering what happens if one removes the existing inlay, due to it being slightly larger than the recess. I'm tempted to try this with the Horseshoe Cleveland $25k (not the one pictured, can't remember which is primary/secondary).

Sorry for the derail

I have experimented with a grand inlay and it would be similar. You would have a double lip (one with the recess within the inlay and another at the edge of the inlay). The final result would look strange and wouldn't accommodate a label properly.

20171014_143316-1.jpg

AS snapper as a quarter?

That's one of the ones I was considering. Here's some other possibilities and commentary:

Looking at a color wheel, I hit all the primary colors as main colors of my chips. I also have purple in there as a secondary color but no orange or green. So those seem like good options. Lots of tertiary colors I'm not using.

This seems like the best possible chip but is stupid expensive and probably never available. Not sure if there's something similar that's not over priced and available.
best.jpeg

This seems fantastic from an edge spot point of view. I wish the green was darker and I could figure out where to buy them. Worry a little about dirty stack with the capitol cities.
venetian_2green_5.jpeg

This has a lot going for it IMO and is high on my list of possibilities. There's some on spinetti's but not a whole lot outside of that. I emailed the member with a rack and never heard back:
green.jpg

Sorta complex edge spots, but the colors are ones not in the pallet yet.
orange.jpg

As mentioned this isn't a bad choice and is readily available
pink.jpg

I have experimented with a grand inlay and it would be similar. You would have a double lip (one with the recess within the inlay and another at the edge of the inlay). The final result would look strange and wouldn't accommodate a label properly.

View attachment 227483

Can you apply a label on top of that grand inlay that looks decent? I would think the curved surface would be a challenge to label over.

View attachment 227483

Having owned Cleveland $25k’s in the past, I wanna say it’s not a full grand inlay though. More like the weird sized inlays on the Casablanca chips, but 43mm instead of 39mm? I could very well be wrong though, I’ll scroll up and look at the pictures again. Hope I’m wrong, it could save me a lot of money!

Having owned Cleveland $25k’s in the past, I wanna say it’s not a full grand inlay though. More like the weird sized inlays on the Casablanca chips, but 43mm instead of 39mm? I could very well be wrong though, I’ll scroll up and look at the pictures again. Hope I’m wrong, it could save me a lot of money!
It's really the fact that the inlay goes passed the recess area.

If someone wants to sent me a 25k chip I'm more than happy to remove the inlay.

Update? Curious which quarters and 1s you went with!

Or you could go super crazy and make it a cali set (with oversize $5+) with the PCA$5s as quarters, CCC$20s as S1s and AS$20s as $5s and AS$100s as $20s... just saying, that'd be a sick line up too.

Maybe I'll have to try something like this....

Thanks for posting!

Those CCC$20s fit nicely, but the $25s seem off somehow. Neat edgespots though.

What is that black oversize rack? That's pretty awesome!

Thanks for posting!

Those CCC$20s fit nicely, but the $25s seem off somehow. Neat edgespots though.

What is that black oversize rack? That's pretty awesome!

Yeah those 25 chips are really cool, I think they have a brass flakes or whatever it is in them so they look extra nice up close. Definitely work just fine for the time being, and gives me time to search and not pay an arm and a leg for the chips I end up with.

The racks are awesome, I had several of the oversized ones made by a member: @Ken He 3D prints them, so he can add custom engraving - though I got mine made just plain. They fit in a standard birdcage and can stack with regular racks. Highly recommend them especially for sets that mix the 39 and 43mm chips.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom