Building a 55" round table...looking for some opinions (2 Viewers)

Glue the cloth to the foam, that way when you pull it tight it doesn't distort the lines.
The lines were 99.9% straight on the table in the pic, it surprises me that the image looks like on the right hand side the lines were wavy but that wan't the case.

I’m looking at the left side near the bottom of the racetrack, looking all the way to the top. It’s pretty good but there is some wave in there (if your follow the suits up). Maybe I’m just being too particular. If I use glue will it be too hard to change the felt in the future ?

The table looks great I’m not implying that it isn’t just trying to sort out the finer details

Hey guys I finished the table yesterday and I am quite pleased with it. The finishing took longer then expected but I took my time because I wanted it to look good. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that had an input and point out a few things about the build if someone reads this and decides to build one for the first time like me.

-definitely use a router instead of a jigsaw jig. The cuts were way cleaner and looked much more professional. It was an extra $60 ($30 for the tool rental at Home Depot, $30 for the 1/4” bit)
-doing the upholstery was very tough. Specifically the outside edge. Lots of adding/removing staples. I used a heat gun in some spots to increase the stretching and it helped a lot. See YouTube videos for heating vinyl.
-the only mistake I made was I didn’t glue down my felt first before stapling. Nobody mentioned it on here or on the YouTube builds I ended up watching but it makes sense if your using a cloth with a pattern. I ended up stretching it (see picture below). But it’s not a big deal it only costs $20 for a standard pattern I will do that down the road. It’s not that noticeable right now because the pattern is very suttle.
-it’s not perfect but I enjoyed the process and am quite satisfied considering it was my first build. Don’t do too much at once you’ll get tired and frustrated and keep the beer fridge near by! Lol

Attachments

• CA844A14-9029-4FA2-8602-DE00A267BA96.jpeg
    CA844A14-9029-4FA2-8602-DE00A267BA96.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 172
  • E8D35D6F-71F2-47FA-AC96-F222A11B1E19.jpeg
    E8D35D6F-71F2-47FA-AC96-F222A11B1E19.jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 161
  • 69CF4B1D-F09D-4034-AEC0-42748D7F055F.jpeg
    69CF4B1D-F09D-4034-AEC0-42748D7F055F.jpeg
    214.9 KB · Views: 163
  • 5D1D5B19-6D67-437A-89BD-B1C2E3263B1E.jpeg
    5D1D5B19-6D67-437A-89BD-B1C2E3263B1E.jpeg
    85.6 KB · Views: 185
  • 4814BA74-FCF8-41D9-97F3-FEBEC686294F.jpeg
    4814BA74-FCF8-41D9-97F3-FEBEC686294F.jpeg
    191 KB · Views: 191
  • BB5335A7-1D2F-4299-B1A2-39FC7232CF12.jpeg
    BB5335A7-1D2F-4299-B1A2-39FC7232CF12.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 196
  • 66F952B2-3171-4061-BC17-17B70475A5CA.jpeg
    66F952B2-3171-4061-BC17-17B70475A5CA.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 179
Table looks great! Now that you have been using it for a while, how is the 55" size for 8 players?

Thank you. The size is decent. It fits 7 people but you can squeeze in 8. A couple of the guys we play with are bigger guys. If I were to redo it I would probably make it 60” round. And you can do that with 5x5 plywood (but the rails would then probably had to be made in 2 pieces)

Thank you. The size is decent. It fits 7 people but you can squeeze in 8. A couple of the guys we play with are bigger guys. If I were to redo it I would probably make it 60” round. And you can do that with 5x5 plywood (but the rails would then probably had to be made in 2 pieces)

Nice table build. I like the look of the table base too.

Couple of questions:
How do you like the racetrack? Would you make it again with a racetrack?
Can you reach the middle of the table without standing up?
Why would the rail need to be two pieces if you're using 5x5?

Hey guys I finished the table yesterday and I am quite pleased with it. The finishing took longer then expected but I took my time because I wanted it to look good. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that had an input and point out a few things about the build if someone reads this and decides to build one for the first time like me.

-definitely use a router instead of a jigsaw jig. The cuts were way cleaner and looked much more professional. It was an extra $60 ($30 for the tool rental at Home Depot, $30 for the 1/4” bit)
-doing the upholstery was very tough. Specifically the outside edge. Lots of adding/removing staples. I used a heat gun in some spots to increase the stretching and it helped a lot. See YouTube videos for heating vinyl.
-the only mistake I made was I didn’t glue down my felt first before stapling. Nobody mentioned it on here or on the YouTube builds I ended up watching but it makes sense if your using a cloth with a pattern. I ended up stretching it (see picture below). But it’s not a big deal it only costs $20 for a standard pattern I will do that down the road. It’s not that noticeable right now because the pattern is very suttle.
-it’s not perfect but I enjoyed the process and am quite satisfied considering it was my first build. Don’t do too much at once you’ll get tired and frustrated and keep the beer fridge near by! Lol
That's awesome. Any other tables/accessories since? I will add that, as with any DIY type project, the errors will probably only be noticed by you. Sitting at that table will probably be the best experience most of your players get!

Couple of questions:

Couple of questions:

Thank you. I picked up the base for $15 off of kijijii. Personally I really like the racetrack, I like the look of it as well as the red colour with the black felt. Players usually put their phone/stack their chips on it, and it feels like it keeps everything organized. The main reason I did it was for the cup holders. I didn’t like the look of putting them in the rail or in the felt. That being said if you didn’t put one in you would save a lot of time with the build. It’s just less work. If I didn’t put one in, I would want a felt that has a round betting line.

I have no issues reaching the middle of the table sitting down and I’m only 5’7”. The rail would have to be 2 pieces because you need to extend the rail padding 2” on the exterior of it. The only high density foam I could find was 60” width and technically you’d need 64” otherwise the padding wouldn’t be even on the outside edge of the rail.

I should also mention one more thing. I highly recommend getting standard size cup holders. They hold 355 ml beer cans nice and snug. The crowd I host drink quite a bit and with those snug cup holders there has not been one spill. My brother has the larger size cup holders and cans/cups move around in them quite a bit.

Last edited:
That's awesome. Any other tables/accessories since? I will add that, as with any DIY type project, the errors will probably only be noticed by you. Sitting at that table will probably be the best experience most of your players get!

Haha thanks. No I have not. Really enjoying this table (as are my friends). Down the road I will make another one. But just don’t have the room/need for another one. We play on my pool table if I get 2 table tournaments going

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom