Budget Tournament set (1 Viewer)

zshearin

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I am trying to find a good poker chip set that other people enjoy playing with, and I wanted to get suggestions for sample packs to buy. Right now I'm thinking of trying the Tiki Kings because lots of people I hear really enjoy them and I personally think they look pretty cool.

I currently have a 14 gram set that are very similar to Monte Carlo, but I know lots of people think those chips are too heavy (and they are - I can kind of feel it after I shuffle them for a while).

You can’t go wrong with tiki kings. I prefer the dia de Los muertos, but they’re basically in the same “class”. Just a different design. For not much more you could get a T10,000 set from the chip room summer sale. In my opinion they’re the best value tournament chip out there.
A53FE2D2-B00A-4BF1-BDBE-9DDE616DC298.jpeg

Yep, you got it. Do you have your tournament structure figured out already so that you have an efficient chip breakdown?

Greetings from a fellow Floridian.

I think so but open to suggestions. I was gonna do 20k starting stack with 8/8/6/6/2 - 25/100/500/1000/5000.

Yep, you got it. Do you have your tournament structure figured out already so that you have an efficient chip breakdown?

Greetings from a fellow Floridian.

Also what do you think would be a good number for each? Obviously I can just multiply by the number of players + rebuys but that doesn't take into account chipping up. Ideally I think I'm going for a 500 chip set but I am flexible (want all the chips to fit in one carrying case)

I think so but open to suggestions. I was gonna do 20k starting stack with 8/8/6/6/2 - 25/100/500/1000/5000.

Also what do you think would be a good number for each? Obviously I can just multiply by the number of players + rebuys but that doesn't take into account chipping up. Ideally I think I'm going for a 500 chip set but I am flexible (want all the chips to fit in one carrying case)
Better would be 8/8/4/7/2 (you don't need many T500s, never more than one per bet), but imo best is 12/12/5/6/2 resulting in less change-making.

400 chips easily covers a 10 player single-table tournament:

120 x T25
120 x T100
50 x T500
75 x T1000 (includes 15x for T25/T100 color-ups)
35 x T5000 (enough for T500 color-ups plus larger stacks and/or re-buys).

You can’t go wrong with tiki kings. I prefer the dia de Los muertos, but they’re basically in the same “class”. Just a different design. For not much more you could get a T10,000 set from the chip room summer sale. In my opinion they’re the best value tournament chip out there.
View attachment 754931
Yes i seconded that if you have a bit more budget you can never go wrong with Paulson chip that is as cheap as this.

You can always sell them back to the public at the least at cost in the future if you realize this set is not what you like too

If you are on a budget, BR bro and Ceramic Card mold are very good value chip to consider too

Better would be 8/8/4/7/2 (you don't need many T500s, never more than one per bet), but imo best is 12/12/5/6/2 resulting in less change-making.

Ahh that makes a lot of sense. 1000s more used than 500s. It’s weird I still gravitate toward the 8/8/6/6/2 just because I’m irrational haha. But the breakdown you gave and reasoning is making me reconsider for sure. Change making interrupts the flow of the game.

You can always sell them back to the public at the least at cost in the future if you realize this set is not what you like too
I'd be careful saying that. The chip market is presently at an all time high (so far) and those chips are just sitting there, unsold. So if the chiproom can't sell them at that price, I wouldn't tell somebody they can resell them at that price or more. And I'll totally acknowledge that Paulsons have generally increased in value over time, but I'd also point out that some of the chips that I've seen decrease in value after a chiproom sale have been solid inlaid tournament chips.

400 chips easily covers a 10 player single-table tournament:

120 x T25
120 x T100
50 x T500
75 x T1000 (includes 15x for T25/T100 color-ups)
35 x T5000 (enough for T500 color-ups plus larger stacks and/or re-buys).
Curios your thoughts on 12/12/5/6/2 versus 12/12/3/7/2.

I'd be careful saying that. The chip market is presently at an all time high (so far) and those chips are just sitting there, unsold. So if the chiproom can't sell them at that price, I wouldn't tell somebody they can resell them at that price or more. And I'll totally acknowledge that Paulsons have generally increased in value over time, but I'd also point out that some of the chips that I've seen decrease in value after a chiproom sale have been solid inlaid tournament chips.
I agree with what you’re saying. But I would wonder… all things considered. The Paulson solid tournament chip will hold value over the BRPro ceramic apples to apples. Don’t you think?

I agree with what you’re saying. But I would wonder… all things considered. The Paulson solid tournament chip will hold value over the BRPro ceramic apples to apples. Don’t you think?
Yes. If you’re suggestions that you’d have an easier time selling the Paulsons at hopefully less of percentage loss than you would with the used ceramics, I’d have to agree with that.

Yes. If you’re suggestions that you’d have an easier time selling the Paulsons at hopefully less of percentage loss than you would with the used ceramics, I’d have to agree with that.
Yeah I mean. I never buy poker chips expecting to make a profit. But I guess many have in the past.

I feel like 12/12/5/6/2 would be better for having to give change slightly less than 12/12/3/7/2
Yeah probably. Was just thinking T500 becomes obsolete while T1,000 is used much longer so maybe more efficient. But maybe because my tournament set T500 are the hardest to get.

Imo, for a T25-base set, just three T500 chips per player is not enough. Generally speaking, four is plenty, and six is really more than is needed.

Between 10-16 each of the lowest two denominations in a tourney set are best. That means either 10 or 15 each for T1-, T5-, and T100-base sets, and either 12 or 16 each for T25-base sets. Eight chips per player really isn't enough. Playable, yes, but not efficient.

Fewer T500s are needed if T1000 chips are in play, (no bet requires more than one T500), and at least 7 x T1000s per player are needed, since they replace the T100 as the primary chip in play.

That number (7) is lower than 10-12 simply because by the time they become workhorse chips, the T1000s are spread across fewer stacks due to player eliminations. T1000s can be added to play via color-ups to get sufficient chips in play by the time they are needed.

Imo, for a T25-base set, just three T500 chips per player is not enough. Generally speaking, four is plenty, and six is really more than is needed.

Between 10-16 each of the lowest two denominations in a tourney set are best. That means either 10 or 15 each for T1-, T5-, and T100-base sets, and either 12 or 16 each for T25-base sets. Eight chips per player really isn't enough. Playable, yes, but not efficient.

Fewer T500s are needed if T1000 chips are in play, (no bet requires more than one T500), and at least 7 x T1000s per player are needed, since they replace the T100 as the primary chip in play.

That number (7) is lower than 10-12 simply because by the time they become workhorse chips, the T1000s are spread across fewer stacks due to player eliminations. T1000s can be added to play via color-ups to get sufficient chips in play by the time they are needed.
Thank you this is good advice. I built a set around 8/8/4/7/3. I may try to expand for 12/12/5/6/2. I just keep getting hung up on the T500’s which are hard to find.
I guess the question is, is 6 T1,000 enough?

And this is why I ask other people :)

What is your suggestion for starting stack on a T5-base set? I was thinking of getting a set that could alternate between T5-base and T25-base (honestly because I really like the $5 and $5000 in the tiki king set but it doesn't make sense to have both in the same tourney game).

I did the math and came up with 10/10/7/6 (5/25/100/500) for a 4k starting stack (base chip 1/5 of T25-base we talked about above, tried distributing chips relatively evenly - open to suggestions on this not nearly as well versed because I typically stick to the 20k starting stack). I was also think that this, combined with the chips you mentioned above, would only require adding a rack of 5s.

Thank you this is good advice. I built a set around 8/8/4/7/3. I may try to expand for 12/12/5/6/2. I just keep getting hung up on the T500’s which are hard to find.
I guess the question is, is 6 T1,000 enough?
It's enough for the starting stacks, but generally won't be enough for optimum playability when the T1000 becomes the workhorse chip.... hence adding T1000s by using them to color-up the smaller denominations. And 12/12/5/11/1 is a far superior starting stack composition (using T5000s for all color-ups) for improved playability, imo.

For chips-in-play at tournament end, I consider between 80 and 160 total chips to be optimal, with the 'sweet spot' right around 120 chips (two denominations, with a ratio around 5:1). Fewer chips can cause excessive change-making (especially with lower denom ratios), and more can be unwieldy in large pots or when all-in.

And this is why I ask other people :)

What is your suggestion for starting stack on a T5-base set? I was thinking of getting a set that could alternate between T5-base and T25-base (honestly because I really like the $5 and $5000 in the tiki king set but it doesn't make sense to have both in the same tourney game).

I did the math and came up with 10/10/7/6 (5/25/100/500) for a 4k starting stack (base chip 1/5 of T25-base we talked about above, tried distributing chips relatively evenly - open to suggestions on this not nearly as well versed because I typically stick to the 20k starting stack). I was also think that this, combined with the chips you mentioned above, would only require adding a rack of 5s.
I much prefer using 12+ chips vs just 10 per denom starting stacks for improved playability, so I like a 4k stack containing 15/13/16/4, with T500s used for color-ups.

But I think T5-base sets are inferior to T25- and T100-base sets, due to the more difficult and less intuitive math involved with bet sizing and construction while the T5s are in play (which is also typically longer than T25s will get used in a T25-base event).

Curios your thoughts on 12/12/5/6/2 versus 12/12/3/7/2.

Imo, for a T25-base set, just three T500 chips per player is not enough.

In my experience, 3 is enough (but perhaps cutting it close). For many years my set required starting stacks of 8/13/3/... or if we were fewer than 16 players: 12/17/4/... where a few players got 12/17/2/... due to my lack of T500 chips. I never experienced any issues. As already mentioned, only one is needed per bet, but also the T100 are backup when you're out of T500. Another thing is that inexperienced players will quickly make change 1×T1000 for 2×500, so it doesn't hold up the game the same way as change making involving other denoms does. (For experienced players it doesn't matter, all denoms are quickly exchanged).

My 0.02

Do you guys know of a chart or something like that laying out different starting stacks based on base chip denom? I know this is highly opinionated so maybe it doesn't exist (or maybe some people have their own opinionated ones haha). I've searched around threads and found bits and pieces. Also let's pretend this is for trying to get people somewhat interested very interested in playing (fun for the average enthusiast or even someone who doesn't know that a flush is better than a straight).

I'm not necessarily looking for the "perfect tournament stack" but instead solid options to choose from to make sure I get the right chips and can potentially switch up what chips are in play.

I found this for T25 and T100 but was curious for others (T5, T1, etc.): https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/basic-tournament-set-breakdowns-for-beginners-updated.49446/

It's enough for the starting stacks, but generally won't be enough for optimum playability when the T1000 becomes the workhorse chip.... hence adding T1000s by using them to color-up the smaller denominations. And 12/12/5/11/1 is a far superior starting stack composition (using T5000s for all color-ups) for improved playability, imo.

For chips-in-play at tournament end, I consider between 80 and 160 total chips to be optimal, with the 'sweet spot' right around 120 chips (two denominations, with a ratio around 5:1). Fewer chips can cause excessive change-making (especially with lower denom ratios), and more can be unwieldy in large pots or when all-in.
in this example. Would you use T1K to color-up T25/100/500 and then later on use T5K to color-up the T1K? at that point you'd have only 5/25K chips on the table? How do you use the T25K to color-up?

in this example. Would you use T1K to color-up T25/100/500 and then later on use T5K to color-up the T1K? at that point you'd have only 5/25K chips on the table? How do you use the T25K to color-up?

I wouldn't use the T1K to color up the 500s, you should use the T5K. Some people use a T5K to color up the T25's

go to the 4 minute mark in this video.

I wouldn't use the T1K to color up the 500s, you should use the T5K. Some people use a T5K to color up the T25's

go to the 4 minute mark in this video.
ok that makes sense. So say I'm running a 12/12/5/11/2 setup which is 25K starting stacks. I also have 25K chips that could be used.
Would I use T5,000 to colorup 25/100/500 and not color up the T1,000? Or do I color-up to get T25K in play and reduce the total chips?

You shouldn't use a denom for color-ups if it's going to be colored-off later (unless hosting a really, really large tournament). Adding more T1000 means unnecessary extra work if they are going to be colored off anyway. In that scenario, I would use T5000 to color off 25/100/500 and 25k to color off T1000, or something similar.

How do you use the T25K to color-up?
You can use any denom large denom for color-ups, as long as you can make change for it on the table without causing problems. An extreme example would be a deepstack tournament with T25 as the lowest chip. When they are to be colored up, you could introduce a single T25k chip and make change on the table into 4 T5k, 4 T1k and 10 T100 (assuming the stacks are large enough so that the 25k won't introduce playability problems). The T100 are then used to color off the T25.

A more standard example would be to use T1000 for coloring off T25 and T100 and then T5k for T500.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom