Breaking a Tie in Standings (1 Viewer)

Bredog

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I run a monthly tournament game and each finishing position points are awarded and at the end of the year the Top 10 in points make a final table to play for a winner take all pot. We never had a situation where there was a tie in the standings for 10th place but it could happen. Does anyone have an good idea on how to break the tie to only have 10 people at the final table game? I didn't create the points system and rules but took them over once someone left the group, the system works great but no one ever talked about if there ends up being a tie at the end for the final spots. Any ideas would be great, thanks.
-Ryan

Arm wrestle, obviously.

f48.gif

What other stats are kept?

Tie breakers can include:
  • Most knockouts throughout the season
  • Least amount of rebuys throughout the season
  • Best finish during the year (I.e. one player’s best finish was a 2nd place spot, other player’s best finish was a 4th place finish)
  • Most cashes during the season

What other stats are kept?

Tie breakers can include:
  • Most knockouts throughout the season
  • Least amount of rebuys throughout the season
  • Best finish during the year (I.e. one player’s best finish was a 2nd place spot, other player’s best finish was a 4th place finish)
  • Most cashes during the season
This is what you 100% cannot do - not for this year. Yes write a rule that you'll use these stats to break future ties. But if there's no provision already in place to break a tie, you cannot just make one up now based on stats that have been accumulating all year that nobody knew would be used.

I think the best idea is to seat 11 players. Yup, that stinks, but it's the most fair.
If you won't do that then I guess the heads up tournament to break the tie makes the most sense. But if I were involved in that, I'd at least want it to be best 2 out of 3.

This is what you 100% cannot do - not for this year. Yes write a rule that you'll use these stats to break future ties. But if there's no provision already in place to break a tie, you cannot just make one up now based on stats that have been accumulating all year that nobody knew would be used.

100% agree with this.

IMO, if you want to create a tiebreaker, it has to be either random (like a coin-flip) or involve something that happens between the two players from this point forward (like a heads-up tie breaker match).

After reading this, I agree.

I'd add to this that if the season is in progress or over, only if all players can agree with the new tiebreaker rules to be added, then I'd say you can add rules mid-season, but that might be a tough ask to get all players to agree.

Last edited:
I think the best idea is to seat 11 players. Yup, that stinks, but it's the most fair.
If you won't do that then I guess the heads up tournament to break the tie makes the most sense. But if I were involved in that, I'd at least want it to be best 2 out of 3.
To play devils advocate and counter this -- seat nine. They're both out. Three are tied for 9th? All out and seat eight. Will make for a better game, IMO.

We use "best finishes" as the primary tie-breaker -- most wins, if still tied then most 2nd places, etc. If they have identical finish records, then it goes to "most $$ won", followed by "most bounties won", followed by "most appearances". If still tied after all that, we declare them FML Identical Twins and they are considered 100% equal. Never happened yet -- the deepest we've ever gotten is # of 3rd place finishes, but we're well-prepared in advance.

But the rules are known well before the tie scenario exists. Like others said, you can't add/change things midstream, at least not without 100% consensus and agreement from everybody. With no formal tie-break policy in place up-front, just consider them as equal and either a) let them both play, or b) have them play a tie-breaker heads-up (only if all agree to it).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom