Breakdowns for milled set: Cash & Tourney (1 Viewer)

Taghkanic

4 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
hmolds-countsonly.jpg

@JoshKifer did a fantastic job milling about 1,500 vintage H-mold monogrammed solids that had been sitting around here for a long time...

Now, my challenge is how to squeeze a cash set and a small tourney set out of these, and I could use some feedback.

The quantities were pretty random; these are what I’ve been able to assemble over the years. (I still have an order pending from last Fall with CPC to get some additional chips, but need to have the initial sets ready by August, and there is little chance the add-ons will be ready in time, so I am proceeding with what I have.)

I may have a few more or less of each color than indicated above, but these are in the ballpark.

The color names are my own, not old factory ones. (Would be interested to know what ASM used for each.) The rough inventory in text form is:

ROW 1:
----------
100 Burnt Orange
219 Cream
395 Red
58 Pale Green
100 Brown

ROW 2:
----------
90 Dark Green
181 Black
100 Dutch Blue
96 Yellow Ochre
146 Hot Orange

My sense is that there will be more use for the cash set than the tourney set, but I’d like to have that option.

In the next post, I’ll indicate my initial thoughts on assigning values to these, in hopes of getting some community input on the best way to use these colors and quantities.

Last edited:
They are fab chips, and zero foil showing. I'm excited to see the direction these go!

I'd go

Burnt - frac
Creme - 1
Red - 5
Brown - 20

Dark green - T25
Black - T100
Blue - T500
Yellow - T1000
Hot orange - T5k
Light green - T25k

Thanks, Josh, for your work and for those suggestions...

I suspect the cash game won’t play very big, and since I have a lot of 1s and 5s, there may not be much need for a $100 per above.

I’m pretty light for tourney chips as it is... I tried this out at T25 since I have more blacks than any other denom, but it still is a bit thin.

Probably would make sense to swap the 1K and 5Ks in the pic above, since I have more hot oranges than yellows.

My CPC order includes more yellows, plus some light blues and lavenders, but I don’t know how these will match up with what I’ve got.

Note: My yellows are more of an ochre than what shows up in the pics, but that may just be my screen setting.

(I might make one color, possibly brown, a non-denom, which could create some flexibility.)
That's not a bad idea. Or do it with the fracs so you can make them 25s or 50s.

I'd keep the yellows and orange the same, as it tilts me to have orange 1ks. And in a tourney, having more 5ks isn't a bad thing. You have enough of the lower denoms to make it work IMO

New thought:

Dark green becomes the cash $25
Brown becomes NCV to flex as $2/$20/or $100 in cash game, depending on stakes
----
Tourney is T100
Pale green (smallest quantity in set) becomes the tourney 25K

But I need to run a spreadsheet to see how the tourney breakdowns work out.

Last edited:
Spreadsheet:

1621603858496.png

For the most part, the Cash breakdown with a T100/20K starting stack scheme just about works, also allowing for a tourney with up to 16 players.

At two full tables of 8, the T100 breakdown does not give me much breathing room for color-ups; and I’ve used an Orange for the 1K instead of the Yellow, just to have a few more to spare before having to buy chips from big stacks. Also the 10K pale greens would barely come into play at all; I made them 10K instead of 25K for that reason, and also because they would be useful as rebuy/add-on chips.

The T25 scheme is more comfortable as far as coloring up, but has the defect of odd starting stacks, and very few of the lowest denom (Green 25s).

Both options would work better for a smaller one-table or 13-14 player tourney. Given the venue (a small island in Maine), the likelihood of ever getting two tables of 8 is low.

My other problem, just realized, is that I have no Bounty/Seating chips. I might requisition 16 of the Browns from the cash game for that purpose. In that scenario, I’d have to make sure the labels were significantly different in order to avoid any potential commingling/confusion.
If my CPC order somehow comes through early, I may have a lot more options, but I pretty much need to get label designs together now for an August premiere. Nicely, the name of the jazz band whose 100th anniversary these will commemorate starts with “H,” so the mold is just perfect for these purposes.

Anyone have thoughts on how to make these quantities work for a small tourney? I’m stretching quite a lot, given that I plan to use the few colors I have in large quantities for the cash portion of the set.

Looking at my table above, swapping the Hot Orange (146) for the Burnt Orange (100) in the T100 Tourney scheme might help things. Especially if I made the fracs 50c instead of 25c. I doubt we’d play much .25/.50, more likely .50/$1 or $1/2.

Anyone have thoughts on how to make these quantities work for a small tourney? I’m stretching quite a lot, given that I plan to use the few colors I have in large quantities for the cash portion of the set.

Looking at my table above, swapping the Hot Orange (146) for the Burnt Orange (100) in the T100 Tourney scheme might help things. Especially if I made the fracs 50c instead of 25c. I doubt we’d play much .25/.50, more likely .50/$1 or $1/2.
1621797005838.png

How many tables are you looking to field?
I can see a possible 29 player set but the colours would be non-traditional for a T1000 to T5000 starting stack style set utilizing the denom figures below
red5295
white25219
black100181
blue500100
orange1,000146
yellow5,00096

29 starting stacks of 1000 @ ten-5's, six-25's, 3-100's, 1-500 is the largest set coverage that I can figure out of your chip options. You could also field up to 29 starting stacks of 5000 chip value with ten-5's, six-25's, three-100's, three 500's, three-1000's (this would be better with a live dealer and rack to drawn from for change), This would allow for "Lots" of rebuys and add-on options. While leaving other chips for cash/etc options.

TOURNAMENT
Players29
Denoms* (populated from Column B)Chips PPChips in playBank
PPBank usedBank left over# of Rebuy's
Total$1,000$29,000670,575lots
Chips used10580

TOURNAMENT
Players29
Denoms* (populated from Column B)Chips PPChips in playBankColour up
PPBank usedBank left over# of Rebuy's
Total$5,000$145,000554,575lots
Chips used15725

Last edited:
Interesting, I hadn’t thought of starting the blinds that low. Per above, I am not expecting to field more than 2 tables of 8 (16 players) but it might be good to plan for the possibility of more. Say, 24 max.

Interesting, I hadn’t thought of starting the blinds that low. Per above, I am not expecting to field more than 2 tables of 8 (16 players) but it might be good to plan for the possibility of more. Say, 24 max.
What I have done with my sets is basically create a cash and tourney set in 1. I always liked the idea of a continued theme from Tourney to cash game which is how my poker games have mostly been played. I like having a 25,100,500,1000,5000 chip option for tourney's and for cash most games I play are .25/.50 to 1/2NL....

So I can play a set without having chips cross over the table on the same night it does require your cash set to be larger. I would If I had your breakdown consider making the entire set $ value with the colours i did not mention above as .25,1, then maybe .50?,2? etc...

Are we suddenly pro-denomination?

Who said these would have denoms on them? You still have to assign values.

But yes, this particular set may get actual denoms notated on the label, because it will only be used a few times each summer and mostly by casual players. It’s a commemorative set for total amateurs.

(The non-denom argument applies to regular home games where the player pool is very steady and people play for years together. I’ve contended that if after 1-2 sessions in a weekly/biweekly game you still need to “read” the chipd for value, the problem is not the labeld—the problem is Alzheimer’s… If on the other hand your game only goes off a few times per year, or you run a public room, and/or have a ton of turnover in the players, then marked denoms might save the host some annoyances. Then again I’ve played in big, occasional tourneys in social halls with unmarked dice chips, and it was fine. As far as the denoms. Not the chip quality… Some hosts may provide a cheat sheet for the differently-abled.)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom