Cash Game Breakdown of chip set for .25/.25 cash game (1 Viewer)

Clintanders

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hope this is the right place for this. If not, let me know. Totally new to this world, but looking to get a friend, who expressed interest in starting a poker game, a decent set of chips as a gift. Think its safe to assume they'd be low stakes games with a $25 buy in, tops. Been through a bunch of threads here trying to get a handle on things, but want to make sure I have the right idea. I've decided on probably the milano/majestic range of chips(still shopping).

Assuming I'm getting them new, it'd have to be a starter set that he could add to. Probably 250 chips. Would a breakdown of 100/100/50 for .25/1/5 make sense? I know it's only 25 buy in, but I imagine the games will probably over around 5 people, so that seems like it could be enough? Or maybe 50/

I'd love to pick up a bigger set second hand and not have to worry about this as much, but i can't guarantee I'll find anything. Very open to all suggestions. Cheers!

Plan on:

10 x 25c chips per player
20 x $1 chips per player
10 x $5 chips per player

and have $20 bills play if you don't want to buy/use higher-denomination chips.

Plan on:

20 x $1 chips per player
10 x $5 chips per player

Very close to what I would say.

Since it looks like you are ordering chips that must be ordered in 25 chip increments, to make it easy I'd say 25 .25 chips for every 2 players. 25 $1 chips per player. Fill out the rest with $5s. And if you think it at all necessary, a single batch of $20 or $25 chips.

How often will people likely rebuy? How many people max would you ever expect to have?
I'd say probably only once or twice at that buy in. He's just done a lot of poker online and is now in the mood to start some home games, so this seemed like a nice gift. They'd be pretty casual games.

Very close to what I would say.

Since it looks like you are ordering chips that must be ordered in 25 chip increments, to make it easy I'd say 25 .25 chips for every 2 players. 25 $1 chips per player. Fill out the rest with $5s. And if you think it at all necessary, a single batch of $20 or $25 chips.
Thanks! This is real helpful. Didn't realize how deep the world of poker chips went until yesterday. Now I'm 100% trying to figure out getting myself a set too...

$25 buy-in seems like an upper limit that they'd start, so I've been tossing around the idea of getting .05 chips to accommodate .05/.1, but that seems like it might be a waste if it'd be on that fence and could maybe just tip to .25/.25

Plan on:

20 x $1 chips per player
10 x $5 chips per player

This although I would do 12x 25c per player because giving some people 8 and others 12 will trigger my OCD.

I put together a small travel set for 25c/25c games based on another thread. 60x 25c, 80x $1, 60x$5 - for 5 players and 200 chips, total bank $395. We used this last Friday for a post tourney cash game. There were only three of us so I gave 20x25c and 15x$1 for $20 buy-in.

I have another travel set that I take to a friend's place whenever he's hosting tourneys: 100x 25c, 200x $1, 100x $5 - for up to 10 players and 400 chips, total bank $725.

If people tend to limp or bet 50¢ or 75¢ preflop, you may want up to 20 quarters per player. Or, you may have a game where preflop raises are to a dollar, and most subsequent bets are in dollars. Then you need fewer quarters and more dollars.

If I understand correctly, you have five players. Your 250-chip breakdown has a bank of $375. It should work fine, and you can always let $20 bills play, as was mentioned.

Also, what I do for my 5¢/10¢ game, is give the first five players 20/20/4 for $10, then late buyins and rebuys get $1’s ad make change at the table.

This although I would do 12x 25c per player because giving some people 8 and others 12 will trigger my OCD.

I put together a small travel set for 25c/25c games based on another thread. 60x 25c, 80x $1, 60x$5 - for 5 players and 200 chips, total bank $395. We used this last Friday for a post tourney cash game. There were only three of us so I gave 20x25c and 15x$1 for $20 buy-in.

I have another travel set that I take to a friend's place whenever he's hosting tourneys: 100x 25c, 200x $1, 100x $5 - for up to 10 players and 400 chips, total bank $725.
That 100/200/100 is my goal if i can manage to get a decent used price. But nice to see that 200 can stretch pretty well for a small game of 5 people!

Also, what I do for my 5¢/10¢ game, is give the first five players 20/20/4 for $10, then late buyins and rebuys get $1’s ad make change at the table.
Is there a way to factor .05 chips into a 250 chip limit tho? I don't want to stretch it too thin is the problem.

Is there a way to factor .05 chips into a 250 chip limit tho? I don't want to stretch it too thin is the problem.
I’m sorry, I wasn’t clear. I was just letting you know what I do for my game. If I were running a .25/.25 game, I would give the first players a barrel of quarters and a barrel of 1’s, till all the quarters are gone. Later buy-ins would be in ones and fives.

I’m sorry, I wasn’t clear. I was just letting you know what I do for my game. If I were running a .25/.25 game, I would give the first players a barrel of quarters and a barrel of 1’s, till all the quarters are gone. Later buy-ins would be in ones and fives.
Absolutely. That's just also venturing to what I was wanting to accommodate .05/.10 games. Lots to think on.

Thanks for the help!

So would a 75/100/75 split for .25/1/5 be a better call then?
Yeah, that works for 5-handed 25c/25c or 25c/50c.

If playing 5c/10c or 10c/20c 5-handed, you're going to need:

10 x 5c chips per player
20 x 25c chips per player
10 x $1 chips per player (15 would be better)
....and a few $5 chips.

So to accommodate both stakes, you'll want a 75/100/100/75 breakdown, or 350 chips for 5-handed play.

Yeah, that works for 5-handed 25c/25c or 25c/50c.

If playing 5c/10c or 10c/20c 5-handed, you're going to need:

10 x 5c chips per player
20 x 25c chips per player
10 x $1 chips per player (15 would be better)
....and a few $5 chips.

So to accommodate both stakes, you'll want a 75/100/100/75 breakdown, or 350 chips for 5-handed play.
great! might end up going that route if i can somehow grab 350

You will need this many at a minimum.
8v Cash set wip 07.JPG

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom