Breakdown advice for my first Paulson set (1 Viewer)

Mr_Y3RAC

Straight
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm currently planning to buy my first Paulson Set and I am struggling a bit with the breakdown and wanted to see what you guys think of it. I already got alot of help and ideas from @OfficerLovejoy so thanks for that. Great Member!

So here it goes:
-400pc Set for Micro Stakes
-usually 5-7 Players sometimes we get a full table but rarely
-Buy In: $10-$20
-Blinds: 10ct/10ct or 10/20ct maybe? or is 5ct/10ct better?

100x 10ct or 5ct
260x 50ct or 25ct depending on the lowest denom chip
40x $2,5 or $1 again depending on the lowest denom chip

The 10ct/50ct/$2.5 Breakdown would give me a bank of: $240
The 5ct/25ct/$1 Breakdown would give me a bank of: $110 (Which is imo not alot especially for 5-7 Players)

I actually really like the Idea of integrating snappers into the set since it seems to be quite rare.

So what do you guys think of this? Thanks for your help and ideas!

Mr_Y3RAC

I think 400 chips is on the low side for a cashgame, especially if you sometimes get a full table. I would get at least 600 chips. Other than that my best advice is to not only get a set that fits your immediate needs. Your game will eventually grow out of it, if nothing else by inflation. Future proof.

I agree with @Eriks with future proofing the set.
I would go with nickels, quarters, $1’s and $5’s. As for a breakdown it depends on budget and if you like lots of chips on the table or not.

Microstakes Breakdowns will never be perfect. There is always something I dislike.

My new Cash Breakdown is
300x non denom (Big Blind either 10c or 25c)
150x 1$
50x 5$

I have not played yet with 10x jump but I think it will work just fine.

Beside this specific breakdown I would go with
(5c)/10c/50c/1$/5$

I like the snapper idea as a Pokerchip Nerd but not as Player. Its as awkward as a 5c/25c/1$ breakdown with players betting 65c...

So my budget is quite capped and thus only the 400 Chips... I thought maybe 1x Rack of the Blind Chip and 3 Racks of the workhorse and then maybe 2x Barrels of the value chip. Do you think that the breakdown is more suitable for a "rare full table" (and with rare I mean really rare)?

So I kind of settled on the 10ct/50ct/$2,5 Breakdown and I am going to add 1x Barrel of $10 chips for rebuy and for the fun of it (not that I will likely every need them but you guys know how it is..... MOAR chips) :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: I am also going to be going for a 500pc set rather than the 400pc set I initially suggested.

500pc Breakdown:

100x 10ct
300x 50ct
80x $2,5
20x $10

We are currently playing 5ct/10ct games so 10ct/10ct or even 10ct/20ct will already be a "large" step, thus I dont think I will have to increase the denoms of the set in the near future.

What do you guys think? Any recommendations or adjustments? Do you guys think this somewhat unorthodox breakdown will work? I just love the idea of a $2,5 Chip in Play:nailbite:

Thanks for your input!!!

Mr_Y3RAC

So I kind of settled on the 10ct/50ct/$2,5 Breakdown and I am going to add 1x Barrel of $10 chips for rebuy and for the fun of it (not that I will likely every need them but you guys know how it is..... MOAR chips) :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: I am also going to be going for a 500pc set rather than the 400pc set I initially suggested.

500pc Breakdown:

100x 10ct
300x 50ct
80x $2,5
20x $10

We are currently playing 5ct/10ct games so 10ct/10ct or even 10ct/20ct will already be a "large" step, thus I dont think I will have to increase the denoms of the set in the near future.

What do you guys think? Any recommendations or adjustments? Do you guys think this somewhat unorthodox breakdown will work? I just love the idea of a $2,5 Chip in Play:nailbite:

Thanks for your input!!!

Mr_Y3RAC
If you are playing no limit, I would change up the breakdown. You may want more of the higher denoms.

100x .10
200x .50
160x 2.5
40x 10

And there really is no difference between .05/.10 and .10/.10. Really. No difference. Just that the small blind will see the flop more.

Hello everyone,

I'm currently planning to buy my first Paulson Set and I am struggling a bit with the breakdown and wanted to see what you guys think of it. I already got alot of help and ideas from @OfficerLovejoy so thanks for that. Great Member!

So here it goes:
-400pc Set for Micro Stakes
-usually 5-7 Players sometimes we get a full table but rarely
-Buy In: $10-$20
-Blinds: 10ct/10ct or 10/20ct maybe? or is 5ct/10ct better?

100x 10ct or 5ct
260x 50ct or 25ct depending on the lowest denom chip
40x $2,5 or $1 again depending on the lowest denom chip

The 10ct/50ct/$2.5 Breakdown would give me a bank of: $240
The 5ct/25ct/$1 Breakdown would give me a bank of: $110 (Which is imo not alot especially for 5-7 Players)

I actually really like the Idea of integrating snappers into the set since it seems to be quite rare.

So what do you guys think of this? Thanks for your help and ideas!

Mr_Y3RAC
I also plan on having that type of game except I decided that I'm not going to take the actual amount on the chip so seriously. For instance if the buy-in is $20 everyone gets say $2000 worth of chips or even more arbitrarily $1000 or $10000 worth, whatever amount we decide at the time.
The payout at the end of the night is the same but people can feel like they're high rollers for a few hours.

Here's a little something that I've been working on. It's a quick little guide/tool for newbies concerning cash and tourney set setups. This is just a first draft so if anyone has any suggestions or wants to debate the recommendations, have at it.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1NQ7-uvyM71UOabYJQ22IjY9Fj0y6e_Dl1IRpoGWrqAg/edit?usp=sharing

It covers some of the most common setups... reading your OP it looks like your needs might be kinda unique. There's lots of good advice already posted in this thread for you.

Imo no need for .25 cent chips. Use $25 instead. Save $$ on chips. Use the extra $$ to make 1 set to use for tournaments and cash. Unless you are running both simultaneously then 2 different sets are needed. Im really lucky and have no security issues

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom