Brand New Chip Maintenance Guidance (2 Viewers)

rusmon

Pair
Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've been searching the chip maintenance threads but have yet to find a definitive answer to my question.
After ordering multiple chip samples, I decided to pull the trigger on the Bank Chips from Apache. They were just delivered today and obviously are all chalky. Personally I'm not a huge fan of the chalky feel and would love for the colors to pop more. My question is this, should I be cleaning them water, applying a small amount of mineral oil to the edge or just putting them into play and let players handling the chips do its job? Appreciate any and all feedback.

Attachments

• IMG_2907.jpg
    IMG_2907.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_2908.jpg
    IMG_2908.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 190
I oiled my CC Majestics after cleaning them with a wet cloth and the colors really popped.

Here’s a thread about oiling China clays. In a nutshell, the the consensus seems to be...don’t do it. However, there’s a few that like it. Proceed with caution.
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/need-advice-on-oiling-china-clay-chips.11364/

To me, I like chalky chips. Oiled ones feel slick and pick up dirt faster over time.
I mean it does look like the community is split about it. I think the consensus is if you’re going to oil them to use the smallest amount possible so you’re not getting that oily feel.
I oiled my CC Majestics after cleaning them with a wet cloth and the colors really popped.
Did you wipe each chip down with a wet cloth?
Does water do anything at all to combat the chalk or is it mainly the oil?
That’s my question actually. I’m really curious!
I did the same with the bank cc and I really liked the improvement on the colors. The feel didn't change much but I only used a very small amount of oil.View attachment 682447
View attachment 682448
Those look great! Did you oil them by the barrel or individually? Did you clean them with water beforehand?

Yes, I wiped each one with a wet cloth, dried them and then oiled them. Regarding the oiling process there are multiple opinions on how to do that perfectly. Just search for "oiling chips" you'll find lots of threads. :tup:

I mean it does look like the community is split about it. I think the consensus is if you’re going to oil them to use the smallest amount possible so you’re not getting that oily feel.

Those look great! Did you oil them by the barrel or individually? Did you clean them with water beforehand?
I cleaned them with a wet cloth first, let them dry and then oiled them using this technique:
Credit to Mj Daniels

As he said, it's easier when you do it using both hands. Just pick up the oiled cloth and rub the barrel on the edges.
Afterwards give all chipfaces a quick wipe on a dry(er) part of the cloth.
You can do a rack in a few minutes. Just don't use too much. If oil is dripping over the chip faces when you disassemble the barrel to wipe the faces down, you used too much. A little spillage between the chips is fine, just make sure you wipe it all off.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom