Bottled-In-Bond Bourbon CPC Small Crown (1 Viewer)

Which chips is your favorite?

• 25c

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • $1

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • $5

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • $20

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • $100

Votes: 11 18.6%

• Total voters
Bro... that $20 is insane!! I absolutely love it!! Yess on the whole set! Screw this hurricane, I am drivin up!! Lol

In all seriousness, congratulations Brother! A lot of time and effort on your part went into making this thing happen!!

Seriously can't wait to drive up for a game sometime!

Much love for my Jersey Fam!!
It kind of smacks you right in the face. A perfect check-raise chip! Thanks for the praise, Ben! I finally have a set that I can bring to a meetup and feel proud of.

It kind of smacks you right in the face. A perfect check-raise chip! Thanks for the praise, Ben! I finally have a set that I can bring to a meetup and feel proud of.
Count me in brother!! Don't listen to me too hard about the meet up worthy stuff man! You have many amazing chips, but definitely looking forward to playing these. Especially after playing @MikesDad new Scrowns a week and a half ago!

That Hundo is sweet, but man that $20 is just wicked looking! Seriously looking forward to checking them out!!

Great set!! Love the scrown, going to use that for my set as well. They really turned out well!! Congrats!!

Agree with Ben. These all turned out great, but the $20 is the star of the show here. Fantastically done!

A brief history of the tax stamp…
The tax stamp was originally used to represent that taxes on an item were already paid by its manufacturer or vendor. Originated by the British, early colonial America continued this tradition on many different types of goods, such as alcohol, tea, and tobacco.

A brief history of bourbon…
Distribution of whiskey was becoming an interesting problem as America began to grow in the early 1800s. In order to reach more states, distilleries would ship bourbon in old, wooden containers. As the liquid gold made its long journey down the Mississippi river, something magical would happen, and the whiskey would be transformed by the wood and temperature changes. Eventually, distilleries began aging their whiskey on purpose in more controlled environments. As whiskey was stored in warehouses after aging for a time before it was sold, the tax stamp was a way to show that taxes had been paid by the distiller.

A brief history of the bourbon problem…
With the first bourbon boom on the horizon, many scoundrels attempted to sell bourbon that was less than potable, by artificially adding dyes, poisons, chemicals, etc. Anything to move the bottle into the hands of the consumer. The United States saw a huge problem on its hands with the tarnishing of the reputation of its national drink. They needed to do something to ensure that only bourbon of the highest quality made it into the homes of the American public.

The Tax Stamp & 1897...
The stamp took on more significance than just taxes when the Bottled-in-Bond act of 1897 was enacted. This act tried to ensure that America's official spirit was quality-controlled (much like what the FDA is used for today). By bottling your bourbon at 100 proof, aging it for at least 4 years, distilling it within 1 season by 1 distillery, and not adding anything else to it, the US Government ensured that any bourbon marked with the BiB stamp was of the highest quality.

Today…
The Bottled-in-Bond moniker has less importance today. However, many distilleries continue to use it as a way of producing consistent, high quality bourbon. Every Bottled-in-Bond bourbon must still adhere to the guidelines and traditions from the original act. And each bottle will bear a unique tax stamp to represent the rich history from which it was born.

The Design...
My brother-in-law and I created unique tax stamps for every chip. Similar to any BiB offering, the rosette on the stamp is composed of complex, repeating patterns. The banner for the rosette for each chip is unique as well. The idea was that each chip has been stamped to show that taxes on it were paid.

The front displays a bourbon barrel and bottle to call back to the original discovery of aging and shipping whiskey. These chips were conceived, designed, and produced in a single chipping season. They are, in fact, Bottled-in-Bond.

The Chips!

In case anyone is interested, here are the original discussion & vote threads:
I have to say that I'm exhausted. I have some new found appreciation for custom sets. So much of your time and energy goes into making something that you can truly call your own. This was about an 11-month process from beginning to end. When I first proposed the idea to my brother-in-law, it was November of 2020. We had placed the order in December of 2020 and finalized all artwork by January 2021. It look less time for my kids to be created than this set. But it was worth it ... oh, so worth it...

And, finally, some examples of Bottled-in-Bond bourbons:

Incredible set. Probably in my top-five favorite customs. Congratulations and well done!

Spectacular set! I absolutely love the different inlay design for the fronts and backs (having just done this myself). Really a great theme to build a set on, and to execute it with such a classy design just knocks this out of the part. VERY well done!

The $20 just pops, but I'm torn between it and the $100 as my favorite of the set....

May they bring you many enjoyable games and large pots in the future. Enjoy!!!

Spectacular set! I absolutely love the different inlay design for the fronts and backs (having just done this myself). Really a great theme to build a set on, and to execute it with such a classy design just knocks this out of the part. VERY well done!

The $20 just pops, but I'm torn between it and the $100 as my favorite of the set....

May they bring you many enjoyable games and large pots in the future. Enjoy!!!
When I first started with this hobby, I thought that having a different image on each side was really taboo. But then I realized that some chips just needed to be able to show off their art correctly, and when executed well, works much better than if the art was duplicated on each side.

Generating the different rosette for each chip was actually really difficult. @Perceptor would show me a draft, and then we would critique it and adjust it and try to re-render it only for it to look the exact same. So many of them were failures too. I should create a gallery of the ugly rejected ones, which would include a truly bizarre round rosette.

That $100 chip is something else. The maroon was absolutely the right way to go. It's like I look at that chip and I instantly think "bourbon" ... Like a nice 15-year oaky one.

Great set and fantastic execution of theme. Sure I skipped over the design thread unfortunately miss seeing the evolution and like to give some input, sometimes it’s helpful and I get a kick out of that. Great job!!!

These are beautiful.

As a big bourbon guy myself, the theme is cool as hell.
Thanks so much! We bounced a lot of ideas back and forth before settling on the tax stamp. Nothing really worked; it all felt too generic.

We were actually concerned that the fine detail of the rosette wouldn't print well. CPC did an amazing job on these.

Thanks so much! We bounced a lot of ideas back and forth before settling on the tax stamp. Nothing really worked; it all felt too generic.

We were actually concerned that the fine detail of the rosette wouldn't print well. CPC did an amazing job on these.
Bottled in Bond is a perfect theme. Very bourbon specific yet not completely obscure in the liquor world. Very well done.

Cool idea for the inlay design. The set looks great. The $20 is my favorite.
Thanks Tommy! I expected the $100 chip to give the $5 chip a run for its money in the poll. But the $20 is the underdog surprise! They're tied!

Happy Bottled-In-Bond day everyone!

1646324673909.png

1646324785048.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom