Bottled-In-Bond Bourbon CPC Small Crown (1 Viewer)

Which chips is your favorite?

• 25c

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • $1

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • $5

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • $20

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • $100

Votes: 11 18.6%

• Total voters

BearMetal

4 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
A brief history of the tax stamp…
The tax stamp was originally used to represent that taxes on an item were already paid by its manufacturer or vendor. Originated by the British, early colonial America continued this tradition on many different types of goods, such as alcohol, tea, and tobacco.

A brief history of bourbon…
Distribution of whiskey was becoming an interesting problem as America began to grow in the early 1800s. In order to reach more states, distilleries would ship bourbon in old, wooden containers. As the liquid gold made its long journey down the Mississippi river, something magical would happen, and the whiskey would be transformed by the wood and temperature changes. Eventually, distilleries began aging their whiskey on purpose in more controlled environments. As whiskey was stored in warehouses after aging for a time before it was sold, the tax stamp was a way to show that taxes had been paid by the distiller.

A brief history of the bourbon problem…
With the first bourbon boom on the horizon, many scoundrels attempted to sell bourbon that was less than potable, by artificially adding dyes, poisons, chemicals, etc. Anything to move the bottle into the hands of the consumer. The United States saw a huge problem on its hands with the tarnishing of the reputation of its national drink. They needed to do something to ensure that only bourbon of the highest quality made it into the homes of the American public.

The Tax Stamp & 1897...
The stamp took on more significance than just taxes when the Bottled-in-Bond act of 1897 was enacted. This act tried to ensure that America's official spirit was quality-controlled (much like what the FDA is used for today). By bottling your bourbon at 100 proof, aging it for at least 4 years, distilling it within 1 season by 1 distillery, and not adding anything else to it, the US Government ensured that any bourbon marked with the BiB stamp was of the highest quality.

Today…
The Bottled-in-Bond moniker has less importance today. However, many distilleries continue to use it as a way of producing consistent, high quality bourbon. Every Bottled-in-Bond bourbon must still adhere to the guidelines and traditions from the original act. And each bottle will bear a unique tax stamp to represent the rich history from which it was born.

The Design...
My brother-in-law and I created unique tax stamps for every chip. Similar to any BiB offering, the rosette on the stamp is composed of complex, repeating patterns. The banner for the rosette for each chip is unique as well. The idea was that each chip has been stamped to show that taxes on it were paid.

The front displays a bourbon barrel and bottle to call back to the original discovery of aging and shipping whiskey. These chips were conceived, designed, and produced in a single chipping season. They are, in fact, Bottled-in-Bond.

The Chips!

In case anyone is interested, here are the original discussion & vote threads:
I have to say that I'm exhausted. I have some new found appreciation for custom sets. So much of your time and energy goes into making something that you can truly call your own. This was about an 11-month process from beginning to end. When I first proposed the idea to my brother-in-law, it was November of 2020. We had placed the order in December of 2020 and finalized all artwork by January 2021. It look less time for my kids to be created than this set. But it was worth it ... oh, so worth it...

And, finally, some examples of Bottled-in-Bond bourbons:
1630522344151.png
1630522397105.png
1630522462814.png

Last edited:
I wanted to provide some acknowledgements and thanks. Without the following people, this set wouldn't exist, and I'd be about $2,000 richer.

First, and foremost, my brother-in-law. You're always there to go on these insane adventures with me. And although I'm hard to work with, you're hard to work with too. So, I guess we're a match made in heaven. I still remember your first words to me when I proposed this idea; "I'm not doing clown; if you're thinking clown chips, I'm out". I guess you're not a Big Top Poker fan! Luckily, this was a vintage-themed set, so clown was out!

I wanted to thank @Ben8257, @Irish, @kk405, @Nuhockey @FordPickup92, @JMC9389 and @TofuJelly for giving me some input along the way. Everything from advice on color weights to edge spots to overall encouragement. You probably don't even remember talking to me about these because it's been so long, but you did, I greatly appreciated it.

And finally, @DuffCal ... I think you were the most excited to see these chips other than me. Constantly telling me to contact David and make sure they were still in the queue, ensuring me that I'd love them no matter how they turned out. Thanks so much, Duffy! You kept the embers alive during the long 9 month wait!

Last edited:
Sick. I too was trying to do a tax stamp style inlay at one point but couldn't make it work for me.

You nailed it with these. Great set.

Wow! What a process! I love the $1! The $20 kind of messes with my eyes, but I like it!
I'm getting closer and closer to going down this rabbit hole and will definitely be reaching out for advice!
I love bourbon and I love the chips! Congrats! Another NJ meet up?

I still remember your first words to me when I proposed this idea; "I'm not doing clown; if you're thinking clown chips, I'm out". I guess you're not a Big Top Poker fan! Luckily, this was a vintage-themed set, so clown was out!

Actually, what I said was, "I'm not doing clown pants," which is designer slang for a design that is tacky, loud, and without taste. I have nothing against clowns; I was a big supporter of the Joker Poker set as well. ;)

Sick. I too was trying to do a tax stamp style inlay at one point but couldn't make it work for me.
Great minds, right? Yeah, it took a bit of back-and-forth to settle in how to use the tax stamp, but we finalized on this relatively early on, so it was a solid foundation to build off of.

Initially, my brother-in-law was asking me if it might be worth it to do these as full-face dye sublimation from BRPro. That way, the tax stamp could actually come from the top.

But after I showed him the CPC scrowns and he handled them, he was sold.
Beautiful set and I love the theme. Well done! That $5 is epic.
I know, the inspiration for this chip came from our favorite $5 of all time. Any guesses what it could be?

Beautiful, best new CPC I've seen in a while! That hundo!!!
I know, the $100 chip might be my actual favorite. I might have to increase my stakes so like I can use them :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: ... The matching dealer button to this set is actually based off of the $100 chip.

Wow! What a process! I love the $1! The $20 kind of messes with my eyes, but I like it!
Yeah, the $1 chip came out so much better than I was expecting. It kind of blew me away. And also always wanted a green $1 chip.

The $20 is an interesting one. When you jump from $5 to $20, it should hit you in the face. And this one definitely does. It would have been nice if CPC had better yellow options and I really wanted a yellow chip.

These are amazing! Love the mold, love the spot pattern, the design is fantastic.
That $1 - definitely my favorite.

Happily jealous for you.
Enjoy and post lots and lots of pron when you use them.

Wow, just a stunning set. Love the $5 - has that been done in CPC before? That $100 is a beaut, and the inlay details just really pop off of that quarter.

Great stuff, can't wait to see pics of these in play! In for a sample set if you're running any.

Actually, what I said was, "I'm not doing clown pants," which is designer slang for a design that is tacky, loud, and without taste. I have nothing against clowns; I was a big supporter of the Joker Poker set as well. ;)
Well, I was trying to ensure that the entire forum didn't start spamming you for help on their designs, but now the cat's out of the bag and they know who you are.

So now that we've gotten the vintage / bourbon / serious chips done... How about those clown pants?

DAMN, these are terrific! Congratulations! If I had to pick a favorite, I think it's the $5. It's spectacular. But green $1 for the win!!!
Thanks Mel! The $5 is also @Perceptor's favorite (my BIL). Can you figure out which chip was the inspiration? I'll give some hints: THC, leaded, $5, shaped inlay. For me, I think the $1 is pure money; it screams this set!

What a $100 chip!

Whoa
Right!? I'll need to convert from a 25c/50c to a $5/$10 just to use it :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: ... When we were working on the dealer button, I said "No, there's no design and no talk - we're using the $100 as a template because I love it so much".

There they are! The stamp inlays really came out fantastic. Congrats on a great set, glad to see them finally arrive!

Bro... that $20 is insane!! I absolutely love it!! Yess on the whole set! Screw this hurricane, I am drivin up!! Lol

In all seriousness, congratulations Brother! A lot of time and effort on your part went into making this thing happen!!

Seriously can't wait to drive up for a game sometime!

Much love for my Jersey Fam!!

I am from Paducah KY.

I am a bourbon fan, and love BIB'S.

BEAUTIFUL SET.
I first had bourbon on the night of my bachelor party. I almost married it instead. But luckily I've found a good balance between Mrs. Bear and my collection.

Bourbon became a hobby. The hunt is the best part (aside from drinking it). The collection is hovering at about 60 bottles right now...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom