Blizzard 2015 (1 Viewer)

manamongkids

Full House
Reaction score
Hope everyone is safe out there if this storm if what the weatherman are correct. I give it a 50/50 shot.

Stay safe and stay warm, and for you old farts, don't throw your backs out shoveling.

My neighborhood is having a blizzard party tonight...woohoo!!

Attachments

• IMG_5922.jpg
    IMG_5922.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 186
I'm in north central CT (about 20 minutes south of Springfield MA) so expecting less snow than the southeast of CT which is getting slammed. Still, it's gonna suck. Cannot wait to move to FL, le sigh

In NH and I have battened down the hatches. My house is often the first to lose power in my town, and the last to get it back. I am prepared to have to evacuate for a week or so (mentally and financially, no reservations though).

Love the map.

-1d60f72ee3b94a44.JPG

-45b25f22499d8e6f.JPG

-dabe28b34ffc4fd4.JPG

-3d4dc8cb79352808.JPG

brace-yourselves-snow-posts-are-coming.jpg

cat-in-snow-meme.jpg

images

9376344896527fc93e5ff7f59697a2b45038822965385bfe227c419dbe98975d.jpg

pro-tip: buy a car the day a blizzard is starting. i was literally the only customer in the dealership and got the best deal i've ever gotten on a car after starting to walk out twice.

pro-tip: buy a car the day a blizzard is starting. i was literally the only customer in the dealership and got the best deal i've ever gotten on a car after starting to walk out twice.

this post is worthless without more details about the car and deal (and congrats btw) :cool:

Awesome! Congrats on your new Prius. You saved $, now enter the PLOSAY LL tourney. Or I'll let you out now for $15.

Yip. Snowblower and generator are filled with gas, tons of food (all of the gas stations and grocery stores up here are crazy with customers). Pellet stove cleaned and refilled. Ready to rock. Lots of empty shelves at the supermarket for snowmeggedon.

The one problem with a geothermal system like mine is loss of power. It is super efficient to run when there is electricity, but to get a generator capable of the startup amperage for the heat pump and well pump, I need to spend $20k + installation. Then I need to fuel it. Cheaper to go stay in a hotel if I lose power.

I'm jealous of all the people getting by on a cheap honda generator in the garage.

Making reservations now...

this post is worthless without more details about the car and deal (and congrats btw) :cool:

Awesome! Congrats on your new Prius. You saved $, now enter the PLOSAY LL tourney. Or I'll let you out now for $15.

lol the needle is actually really close - honda insight.

my trade in was a 2009 toyota camry LE with 135k miles. damage: typical dings all around from doors opening into the car; a couple of spots of paint chipping from the hood (very small) from god knows what; scratches on the trunk that i think i did but don't know how; a crack in the molding under the rear driver side wheel where some moron didn't know how to use a jack properly (there before i got the car); in severe need of a brake job; center console cracked along the top. their first offer was $2k.

the purchase was a 2013 honda insight with 274 miles on it. it was stickered for $21,800 and advertised on the website for $14k. of course, as anyone who has tried to shop for cars using internet prices knows, there is all kind of fine print which will prevent that from being the actual cost of the car. in this case, they said it was only available to "honda loyalty" members who were trading in a car 3 or fewer years old with 36k or fewer miles and bought from that dealership. that price is also subject to a "certification" fee, a "prep" fee, and the typical taxes/"document" fee/title fee, etc. all in all, they expected me to pay $21,500 out the door.

i countered with $14k out the door and $6k for my trade in. the rest of the process is boring to most, so i'll just give results: they gave me $6,400 which would be a good but not great price if i sold it myself, but is fucking astonishing that they gave it to me as a trade in and i got the honda for $15,750 out the door.

Woke up Saturday morning with perhaps 1/2 inch of snow on the ground. First time my 3.5 year old son has seen snow other than perhaps a passing flurry. Much merriment was had and pics taken. Snow was gone an hour later. [emoji13]

Seriously though guys, stay safe. Do NOT drive in a blizzard while playing PLOSAY on laptop.

I'm jealous of all the people getting by on a cheap honda generator in the garage.

Honda? Pfff I'm not loaded. :p Generac all the way baby! 3 years ago in the spring Home Depot was blowing out 5500 Generacs for $350 DELIVERED! Usually that is the shipping price alone. Buy of the year. Normally they are $700+ in the store, you transport home (weighs a million billion pounds officially).

Woke up Saturday morning with perhaps 1/2 inch of snow on the ground. First time my 3.5 year old son has seen snow other than perhaps a passing flurry. Much merriment was had and pics taken. Snow was gone an hour later. [emoji13]

Seriously though guys, stay safe. Do NOT drive in a blizzard while playing PLOSAY on laptop.

Any proper new englander can drive safe in a blizzard while playing plosay on a laptop. You southerner's close every thing down for 1/2" of snow.

I drove a Honda Insight for 3 years - great gas mileage. I got 48 MPG without trying and 54 hyper-miling.

yeah it's a smaller car than i'm used to, but i'll get used to it, i think. i dug out the driveway and drove to work just now and it handles well enough in the snow. it's no subaru, but neither was my camry. the outback was still the best car i've ever driven in the snow. that thing could not get stuck if it tried.

Sometimes living in Florida sucks. Today is not one of those days. I don't even own a snow shovel or ice scraper, and here's the view from my front window about 5 minutes ago:

bLNFBgr.jpg

Heres the view of the front of my work as I arrived this afternoon...about 32" at the front door.

That shot of Florida sure looks awesome...although driving today was a sh!t ton of fun.

Attachments

• EBI_1.27.15.jpg
    EBI_1.27.15.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 197
Whats funny is that you can live in Denver, CO and have the same view and weather right now. On the phone today a peer said his door was open to let in fresh air as it was 75F there in late January. :eek:

Sometimes living in Florida sucks. Today is not one of those days. I don't even own a snow shovel or ice scraper, and here's the view from my front window about 5 minutes ago:

bLNFBgr.jpg

yeah it's a smaller car than i'm used to, but i'll get used to it, i think. i dug out the driveway and drove to work just now and it handles well enough in the snow. it's no subaru, but neither was my camry. the outback was still the best car i've ever driven in the snow. that thing could not get stuck if it tried.

Nokian Hakkepelita R snow tires turned my corolla from a slippy mess to a snow handling dream. Check 'em out. Worth every penny.

Whats funny is that you can live in Denver, CO and have the same view and weather right now. On the phone today a peer said his door was open to let in fresh air as it was 75F there in late January. :eek:
Shhhhhhh! Don't tell nobody! Here in CO the winters are cold, long, an snowy! Please people don't move here. This is a miserable state to live in. :rolleyes:

so I heard this storm was over rated and packed not nearly as big of a punch as 'they' thought? correct?

Correct, although it still sucked and was our biggest storm of the season here in CT. I was fortunate to be in the north central part of the state and not the southeast coast which I believe is where it hit hardest.

so I heard this storm was over rated and packed not nearly as big of a punch as 'they' thought? correct?

Well, volume wise it was a big storm. The benefit is that it was extremely fluffy and light (easy to clear) and the winds moved it around quite a bit (my roof only has 3" but we got 19" in my parts). Plenty of people within 20 miles got 30" but again, very manageable. The wet snow kills us since its difficult to move and takes down power lines. In general no one lost power in NH anyways (except for a small part of my town but it was probably due to drunk Billy driving into a pole).

In general no one lost power in NH anyways (except for a small part of my town but it was probably due to drunk Billy driving into a pole).

CL&P here in CT was predicting 100-120 thousand people would lose power, I think we had 8 people across the state when I read the report yesterday morning. And agreed, light & fluffy was a welcome change to the usual icy mix we normally get

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom