Blind drunk but still playing (1 Viewer)

Taghkanic

4 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
What to do about the passing-out drunk guy in a game?

What are the best strategies for managing them at the table, and coaxing them them to get home (safely)?

Again from a VFW game I played over the weekend:

There was a player to my right at my cash table, around midnight, who was blind drunk. Just absolutely out of it, and losing both coordination and the ability to talk. I kept expecting him to either fall asleep on the felt or puke on it.

The hall has a bar, and I’d played with this guy a bit in the early stages of the tourney which started at 4 pm. He was already tying one on then and busted early. Probably had a couple an hour at the bar until cash started. By midnight he was totally blotto.

He wasn’t belligerent, just unable to follow the game or participate meaningfully. Had to be instructed on every hand what was up, and still took forever, and sometimes needed repeated instructions to act. Could not figure out what his hand was or what was on the board. Exposing cards. Couldn’t deal. But he seemed to have no intention of leaving, or maybe was just unable to.

He shouldn’t have been still playing. Unfortunately the game host was still at the final table and not easily interrupted. Others at this cash table seemed to know the drunk well but were just humoring him. I kept giving them looks and hints to say something like “C’mon Joe, I’ve gotta get going, how about I give you a lift home.”

People were mostly trying to avoid not taking advantage, but the drunk kept feebly trying to enter pots and was steadily bleeding chips. Went all in a couple times preflop and everyone just folded.

I finally decided to cash out while making it clear (without the drunk guy realizing) that I was leaving early because it was too uncomfortable. I then did go talk with the host and tell him what was happening, that someone who knows the guy really needs to get him out of there.

Anybody developed any good tactics for these situations? Unfortunately it isn’t totally uncommon in poker.

Last edited:
I had a similar situation at a game when a bunch of close friends went out of town for a fishing charter, and since I was acting as the "host" of the game (my chips, my topper), I made the command decision to stop letting the intoxicated player buy additional chips after he busted out the third time in 15 minutes. Every hand, he would shove when the action got to him. He would have lost everything he had with him if I did put a stop to it. Nobody disagreed with my decision, except for the player that evening. He got over it. Being in control of the game made my decision easy, if I were at someone else's home or a public forum and the same situation arose with someone I didn't know well, I would probably cash out and call it a night.

It is not good situation, and how to handle it is to have the host cash out the table(keeping track of the player chip counts) and have someone that wanted to leave early drive him home. The game can be restarted once he has vacated or just call it a night.

Good idea. The host in this situation even could just pretend he was cashing out the whole table with a wink and a nod, cash out the drunk first, and have someone get him out while going through the fake motions. Dude was way too blitzed to catch on.

As the host, if this guy is a friend, to just mention to him that he had a bit too much to drink and at the next game, please try to control the drinking a bit better. If he is just filling a seat, then there are way more options available.

"Joe, you're hammered, time to pack it up. We'll help you cash out and get you home safely"

Drunks aren't going to take hints too often I find. If you just directly address the situation however I find they will go along. He'll likely realize he's gooned and agree its time to head home.

"Joe, you're hammered, time to pack it up. We'll help you cash out and get you home safely"

Drunks aren't going to take hints too often I find. If you just directly address the situation however I find they will go along. He'll likely realize he's gooned and agree its time to head home.

You’re right. No sense beating around the Bush Lite. (I’ll be here all week at the Komedy Klub.)

Not having met the guy before, I was hesitant to be the first to speak up. And was kind of amazed/shocked that none of the other players, most of whom seemed to know him well, jumped in. I got the sense that they weren’t willing to give up their seat to help a friend.

I guess my reaction is, well that’s what happens at the VFW?
I don’t think I’d go easy on the guy because he’s drunk. I’ve played at varying levels of drunkenness and would never expect anybody to go easy on me. I’d be more inclined to call his all in pre in hopes of knocking him out of the game. (And if he won, I wouldn’t expect anybody to feel bad for me.)
Maybe the VFW has more of a home game vibe than I’m giving it credit for. But my take is always that when you’re playing poker in public, you’re going to run into all kinds of people - annoying people, angry people, smelly people, and drunk people. You can always leave.

Cash game vs. tourney is different. Don't know what one could reasonably do in a tourney other than cutoff rebuys.

Had this happen once in a cash game. Ultimately ended the game as another player took him home.

Do like the idea of just being direct (in the right situation with the right person). If it's a different situation with a difficult person, like the idea above of cashing everyone out and getting them a way home but then restarting the game.

Had a similar situation not too long ago... I wasn't the host, but I managed the chips and money so I just told him he was too drunk to play. Cashed him out and made a point to let everyone know that whenever you get beyond a certain limit, you will get cashed out and asked to leave the table. With some luck, it will be a long time before it happens again.

I don’t think I’d go easy on the guy because he’s drunk. I’ve played at varying levels of drunkenness and would never expect anybody to go easy on me.

I mean, I get it, but if I were playing with friends and woke up to find that they had soaked me for a bunch of buyins while I was basically sleepwalking, I might reëvaluate our status as friends…

In this case, the drunk’s friends did at least refrain from taking all his money. But they did not intervene to get him out of the game, which he was ruining.

Also, this could happen at any game where there’s free-flowing alcohol. I feel the same way if it was hoity-toity private game. There are plenty of rich drunks in this world so I don’t think the VFW venue should make a difference.

Last edited:
I mean, I get it, but if I were playing with friends and woke up to find that they had soaked me for a bunch of buyins while I was basically sleepwalking, I might reevaluate our status as friends…

In this case, the drunks friends did refrain from taking all his money. But they did not intervene to get him out of the game, which he was ruining.
This was the case in my instance. We had a guy (our resident LAG) go from low inhibition/having fun to a pot where he donk potted on the flop, and I repotted, and when it folded back to him he said "ok, what exactly is happening right now?" and was just gone - it was literally like a lightswitch went off between hands. Nearby player helped him to determine to fold his hand, and then we shut down the game and got him home safe.

Kick someone while they are down is no good for friendly game. Kick someone while they are up? A-ok. :)

Last edited:
I played in a charity tournament and made it to final table out of a field of ~200. One of the remaining players, a teacher or coach or school admin I think (it was a school athletics charity), was rather drunk, taking forever to make decisions and having side conversations. He kept talking about the fact that he should stop playing, and that he'd go all in, but never followed through.

I eventually wound up heads-up against him, and it was rather annoying because there were several moments where he said he repeated that he should stop playing and would go all-in soon and I had premium hands that I would have absolutely called with, and he kept not going all in.

First prize was like a 50" plasma or LCD TV (this was a decade-plus ago when TVs weren't as cheap), second prize was a night's stay at a very fancy hotel in town (annoyingly, some of the lower prizes seemed better, like a visit to the Dodgers dugout was 5th or 6th place, and 2-night stays at slightly less fancy hotels were like 3rd or 4th place).

Anyway, he eventually won after a protracted battle, which ended up working fine as I was able to treat my sister and her family to a night at the hotel when they came to visit, and we didn't have room for such a large TV anyway. But I dunno why the tournament organizers (a company that puts on these events) didn't try to rein the player in more--maybe the real organizers, the school, wanted to cut someone on the staff some extra slack.

It wasn't that I lost that was aggravating, it was how long it took for me to lose, with the promise that the other player was going to punt at any moment and allow me to win (though with his luck, he probably would have sucked out going all-in 72o against my AK/KK/QQ/etc.), like pulling teeth...

Edit: Sorry for the vent; don't have any great suggestions for how to deal with the situation. Actually, the couple times we ran into this in our home game with a player (yes, same player a couple times), we eventually suggested he take a break, which he agreed to. He proceeded to lie down on the couch and fell asleep. I think some players would balk at being asked to stop playing at all but may be more receptive to taking a break.

Last edited:

^^ this

I've been that guy... while hosting! I'd expect everyone play me to the best of their ability to take my money. It's poker. Granted we don't play nose bleed levels so not gambling rent / bills either.

How drunk are we talking here? This guy could not follow the action, could not put his own bets in the pot, could not deal, was showing his cards because he could barely hold them up, had no idea what was happening.

Sounds like a guy named Clark I used to play with for many years. He was a great dude and was OBSESSED with poker, yet the minute we actually started playing he would spend more time away from the table than actually playing. Getting a beer, smoking outside, going to the bathroom. Then, before you knew it was he was so drunk he was comatose at the table. In hindsight, he was probably on "2 drugs" as alluded to above, but at the time I was naive and thought he just couldn't handle 3 bud lights.

Ironically, the drunker he got the better he played and I swear he would run the table over while in his comatose state. Part of it is people would try to bust him to get him out of the game and he'd just keep making hands. It was hysterical. But let me tell you there has never been a more miserable group than a table getting steamrollered by Comotose Clark. I miss that guy and think about him from time to time. Hope he is well wherever he is.

How drunk are we talking here? This guy could not follow the action, could not put his own bets in the pot, could not deal, was showing his cards because he could barely hold them up, had no idea what was happening.
I have two guys who play like this sober. Alcohol might not be the problem here.

I feel attacked. Jk. I drink quite a bit at the table but not to blindness. I can sober up before I make my way home. It sounds foolish, but if he's that wasted, everyone can pick up their chips and clear the table. He'll think it's over. "Cash him out" and send him home. That's the intervention style approach. The appropriate move is, whoever is with him needs to get him to call it and leave on his own. But that's a coin toss given his alcohol level. GL

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom