Bitcoin crash coming (1 Viewer)

As cryptocurrency doesn't have any intrinsical value but is only defined by the public interest in it (mining = keeping the network alive), massive crashes can and will happen. The question never is "if", but "when".

It's already enough that a substantial amount of people suddenly loses interest in cryptocurrency ABC because the new cryptocurrency XYZ is the cool hip thing now.

I've thrown a couple hundred bucks at Bitcoin every Christmas bonus and tax return for the last few years just for fun, and ignore day-to-day, month-to-month swings.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a three-digit price point in the next year, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a six-digit price point in the next decade.

Just an entertaining little gamble.

I recently looked at a project where a customer wants to install a larger electrical service to power his mining computers. While trying to learn about mining computers I found an article that speculates the power consumption from the transactions could equal the US total power consumption by next summer and by the end of next year it could equal total global power consumption.

The Egyptians and Aztecs built pyramids out of stone.

We build them out of money.

OK.png

Buddy of mine has made $20k on it on top of the $20k he put in originally (or so he said in a drunken conversation recently) and is spooked by all the talk. My recommendation was to sell enough to get back what he put into it (or close enough to be comfortable) and let the profit work for him going forward. Either way, he is playing with house money at that point.

Bitcoin is the mother of all Ponzi schemes

One trick is "Painting the tape": it s the oldest fraud in the book

It consists of 2 (or more) holders or miners buying and selling the same bitcoin over and over at say $100 increments every time. Noone will lose but they have established a new high on the exchanges. And sheeps (i prefer to call them idiots) from the sidelines enter the arena thinking there is real value.

Of course this is illegal in a regulated market and hence never happens

This is a fair assessment of what the general public is doing right now. When the average, individual investors start talking about something and jumping it then its a sign to exercise caution.

Also, can anyone here tell us, in simple terms, how bitcoin works?

Last edited:
A good news article about an aspect barely touched yet.
http://translate.google.com/transla...bt-Suche-nach-Alternativen-voran-3916948.html (apparently Google's machine translation has massively improved lately)

Don't misunderstand me, I think all this carbon footprint stuff is bullshit. But wasted energy from non-renewable sources is what it is, and when you see the system's demand for it is growing over time with no end in sight, you already know when it'll all end.

I'm pretty sure however the "new cool currency" presented in the article will not provide an actually practical, genuinely better solution. Decentralization means more freedom/less opportunity for regulation, but also more work in protecting the integrity. Unless you axe the decentralization aspect, you won't get away from the work. Plus, you still need to somehow make sure the value "mining" stays about constant over time if not even lower than that, in order to protect the currency against extreme inflation. (Moore's law: processing power purchaseable for a fixed amount of money doubles roughly every 12-24 months - you have to actively counter this. Bitcoin is doing it but hasn't taken all factors into account)

Yup. I have sold 35% of my position and I have another 30% in sell orders at various prices. Not sure what to do...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom