Cash Game Bigger or smaller starting stack? (1 Viewer)

UncleDrew2

High Hand
Reaction score
Hello community!

I am running a really spartanic home game with friends and as I found out in this forum I am violating almost every principle that you are preaching here. So I want to step it up a notch!

I am currently using the good old dice chips and because I gathered loads of them in the past everybody is accustomed to huge starting stacks and lots of chips on the table.

Now that I am looking to buy a new chip set I want to go as structured about it as possible. My current thought process is that i would like to be able to hold a 25$ buy-in with .25/.50 blinds as well as a 50$ buy in with .50/1 blinds.
For 10 players i thought about:

25$ buy-in
20x.25$
20x.50$
10x1$

50$ buy-in
20x.50$
20x1$
4x5$

results in 640 chips for 10 players. (Which seems like a lot?)

Please share your thoughts :)

Drop the 50c, no need for both 25 & 50c chip in play
20 x 25c
20 x $1

No need for that many 50c in a 50/$1 stake
10 x 50c
20 x $1
5 x $5
Agree with this.

Also will add that 50 big blinds is a very shallow starting stack. Do the games have a lot of rebuys and top offs? I don't like starting with anything less than 80 or so big blinds, as those games that start with less usually tend to turn into shove fests and bingo playing. That is unless the game is very passive with not a lot of huge betting or raising and a lot of flat calling.

Agree with this.

Also will add that 50 big blinds is a very shallow starting stack. Do the games have a lot of rebuys and top offs? I don't like starting with anything less than 80 or so big blinds, as those games that start with less usually tend to turn into shove fests and bingo playing. That is unless the game is very passive with not a lot of huge betting or raising and a lot of flat calling.
So if I understand you correctly it would even make sense to use

20x 25 cents
20x 1$
5x 5$

and do .25/.50 blinds?

Definitely skip the 50c and forget about the $0.5/1 game. Less than 100 bigs is gonna play too shallow and just be a shove fest.

I would simply do:

25c/25c with $25-50 buy-ins or at least no more than 25c/50c with a $50 buy-in.

Possible breakdown of 600-700 chips:

25c x 100-200
$1 x 200
$5 x 200
$25 x 80
$100 x 20

This will work great right now and will be future safe for potential higher blinds down the line.

I will have to out myself being even more clueless than I initially thought - .25/.25 blinds mean that small and big blind are the same? So both can just check if there are no raises pre-flop?
Correct. It’s a great way to not waste chips on unnecessary denoms while the game plays the same.

A $0.10/0.25 game for instance would require a nickel/dime chips that would only serve as a small blind chip. That money is better spent on higher denoms.

Last edited:
PXL_20220423_224504102.jpg

Starting stacks...too much...

Correct. It’s a great way to not waste chips on unnecessary denoms while the game plays the same.

A $0.10/0.25 game for instance would require a nickel/dime chips that would only serve as a small blind chip. That money is better spent on higher denoms.
As a man that hosts a 10c/25c game and a crowd of players that love big stacks of chips, I fully endorse having nickels but wtf do I know. :tup: :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom