Big O turn decision: call or fold? (1 Viewer)

Beakertwang

Royal Flush
Tourney Director
Reaction score
Basic action:
.10/.20 with mandatory straddle
Hero in straddle with $101.49
UTG+1 raised to $2.30
Button, SB, and BB call
Hero calls
UTG calls
Pot $13.80
Flop brings top two for hero
Hero bets $9.10
UTG folds
Rest of the field calls
Pot $50.20
Hero checks
UTG+1 pots
SB jams
BB folds

Assuming UTG+1 calls, it's $89 to win a $320 pot. Tons of outs to nut high and nut low.

Do you call for your stack?

image.jpeg

Some scenerios, but cardplayer only does 4 card, still should give you a decent idea of equities.

While our hand is deceptively good, and we do have some scoop outs, sometimes we only win half the pot, sometimes we get scooped or quartered depending on our opponents hands, etc
If this was going to be a massive multiway with other players all-in here, I can see calling it off

EDIT: Sorry, on phone, just looked again and saw we are calling $89 for a $320 pot. Yes, the equity we have here makes calling profitable

Screenshot_20200406-232356_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200406-232538_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200406-232623_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200406-232818_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200406-233126_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200406-233209_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200406-233321_Chrome.jpg

You have 3 clean spades out in this hand that make the pure nuts and scoop both the high and the low. The 3 and 4 might get you a 3/4 share, but to calculate this a bit easier I'm rounding these up as I'm rounding this up.
:3s::4s::ks:

Any :5s::6s::7s::js::qs:could complete a straight flush so let's say 3 of them are clean and get scoops as sometimes you will get half and sometimes you will get 3/4 and sometimes you'll scoop.

In addition the :8d::8h::td:make a full house, which isn't the nuts so let's say 2 are clean. With these there is no low so you get all or none.

Therefore you have 8 clean outs to scoop the whole pot which means you need 19% equity. You are getting 21.8% direct odds therefore this is a snap call and the best part is we haven't even considered most of the low cards! I'd prefer if we had a 4/5/6/7 in the hand for a backup low, but whatever this hand has plenty of equity even if they turn over A3QJx.

Last edited:
Definitely calling.

I had almost the same exact hand earlier tonight but my decision was to jam the turn to maximize fold equity vs a strong but non nut high hand or just call the pot sized bet and see the river. I went conservative and called, an Ace on the river did little to change the value of my hand and I folded to the river All-in bet.

There will be lots of spots like this in BigO where you turn a nut flush draw and nut low draw with suited A2 type hands with some extra equity to straight or boat draws usually too. These are the hands that create the big swings in the game and why A2 suited are so strong. Embrace the variance and call.

Definitely playing for stacks in this spot. I don't know if it was yesterday, or the day before (its all blending together and I can't wait to play live poker) but I had a very similar hand. I hit the low spade on the river for the scoop.

So I followed all yall’s advice. It cost me $90. Thanks a lot. :D

I didn’t have a time bank, so I felt pretty rushed in my decision. Of course, I didn’t catch any of my outs, but I still felt it was the right call. Turns out, a bunch of my scoop outs were dead. I only had five: :ks::qs::4s::td::8h:

Additionally, I had 11 low outs.

43D3E1A5-A57A-453B-B34B-8943C7D959A0.jpeg

Last edited:

I didn’t have a time bank, so I felt pretty rushed in my decision. Of course, I didn’t catch any of my outs, but I still felt it was the right call. Turns out, a bunch of my scoop outs were dead. I only had five: :ks::qs::4s::td::8h:

Additionally, I had 12 low outs.

View attachment 435693

i wouldn't need a time bank lol. That's an instant call. Of course. i suck, so what do i know

i wouldn't need a time bank lol. That's an instant call. Of course. i suck, so what do i know
Admittedly, I’m in a bit over my head in this game, even at these low stakes. I’ve had moderate success across a small sample size, but I’m not used to risking $100 on speculative hands.

I hate Big O, but that’s a call. Don’t trust me though, I suck

Hindsight being 20/20, that’s an easy fold. You’re going to miss all your outs. It’s going to be an Ah on the river.

I hate Big O, but that’s a call. Don’t trust me though, I suck

Hindsight being 20/20, that’s an easy fold. You’re going to miss all your outs. It’s going to be an Ah on the river.
Can I please get a signed copy of your book? :ROFL: :ROFLMAO::ROFL: :ROFLMAO::ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Additionally, I had 12 low outs.

View attachment 435693

You hit the shitty Ace for 3 pair just like I had happen lol.

Last edited:
Hero had an easy call. The pot odds make this quite profitable in the long run. Just making an educated guess - - - I think Hero is something like +$25 expected value on this call.

Please keep in mind, BigO high/low is a variance factory. You will often be putting all your chips in the middle on a draw that fails all too often.

This sort of hand is a good one for self reflection. if this risk makes you uncomfortable, Omaha variants might not be your game(s). This isn't a time bank consuming decision. If you are folding closer decisions, the aggressive players are eating your bacon playing this game.

If you keep playing, I recommend buying is as shallow as allowed. Learn to ride the variance. Bad stretches are horrible. But the winning sessions can be glorious.

Don't let anyone steal your bacon! -=- DrStrange

Hero had an easy call. The pot odds make this quite profitable in the long run. Just making an educated guess - - - I think Hero is something like +$25 expected value on this call.

Please keep in mind, BigO high/low is a variance factory. You will often be putting all your chips in the middle on a draw that fails all too often.

This sort of hand is a good one for self reflection. if this risk makes you uncomfortable, Omaha variants might not be your game(s). This isn't a time bank consuming decision. If you are folding closer decisions, the aggressive players are eating your bacon playing this game.

If you keep playing, I recommend buying is as shallow as allowed. Learn to ride the variance. Bad stretches are horrible. But the winning sessions can be glorious.

What the good doctor said. This game has been a blast to learn, but the variance is insane. Dodging over half the deck to scoop or at least halve is way too common and soooo tilting. Even though it's smaller stakes than I usually play, somehow losing $50 or $100 with a mega draw tilts the living shit out of me :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

The Dr. is in the house! Always great advice.

You inspire me to want to play Omaha (but I'm not doing it). LOL

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom