Big deal or not? (1 Viewer)

KhoiFish82

Pair
Reaction score
I'm currently getting 44mm A-Molds made by CPC for my $25 & $100 cash set. I'll eventually upgrade my $5 & $1 with 39mm CPCs. I really love the FDL mold, but it won't match the 44mm A-mold. So the dilemma is should I go for the 39mm FDL-mold and 44mm A-mold combo or keep the continuity by making it A-mold for both 39mm and 44mm. Just wanted everyone's opinion. Wouldn't have been a problem if CPC made the FDL-mold in 44mm :-D Am I being way to OCD?

Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 2.17.13 PM.png
VS
Screen Shot 2018-08-08 at 10.34.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 2.18.12 PM.png
VS
Screen Shot 2018-08-08 at 10.35.17 AM.png

Here are the 44mm molds I am having made.
Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 4.45.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 9.34.08 AM.png

I would probably go with the A-Mold on the 39mm as well if this is going to be a coordinating set. The mold difference is one thing, but also I think it would be a little odd to have the 7/8" inlay on the 44mm chips and the 1 1/16" inlay on the FDLs (small inlay on big chip and big inlay on small chip in the same set). So at a minimum I would do a mold with a 7/8" inlay. But if you're going to do that and you have the 44mms on A-Mold anyway, I would probably go A-mold in the 39mms too for consistency.

The only hesitation I have is that I think the 44mm A-Mold has a smooth inlay, and the FDL is the only 39mm mold with a smooth inlay. But I don't think that should be a deciding factor. The application of the inlay itself smooths that area a fair amount.

My 2c...if it is not too late make them all the same mold and the same size. I know people hype up oversize chips and they are cool....however for me being a bit OCD I did not enjoy owning oversize chips.

Having all the same mold would be a priority for me.

I think Khoi already has the larger denom 44mm chips finalized in the CPC production queue, which I think is set to run in about a month, so the question is just what to do with the additional chips in the set.

Another consideration is that I think CPC has already closed out orders for the next FDL production run, which I believe is starting in late September or October, and it won't run again until at least March or April 2019. Whereas I think the A-mold 39mm runs year-round (albeit on few months' backlog). So you may be able to get A-molds done before FDLs (but I speak with no authority there, just giving my best guess).

...keep the continuity by making it A-mold for both 39mm and 44mm.

This has its own continuity issue. I believe the 39mm A-mold has a textured inlay, and the 44mm A-mold has a smooth inlay. I think that might tilt me more than having mixed molds.

This has its own continuity issue. I believe the 39mm A-mold has a textured inlay, and the 44mm A-mold has a smooth inlay. I think that might tilt me more than having mixed molds.
This is true, but I think that the 44mm A-mold's smooth inlay is not recessed, while I know for a fact that the FDL has a slight recess for the inlay. So I just think the FDL is a different kind of chip, even though those are the only two smooth-inlay chips from CPC. If you want it to look like a different kind of chip, that's cool. But I also don't think the inlaid 39mm A-mold will be distractingly textured. I have samples of inlaid HHR and SQINCIRC molds (the Atlantic Club and Rounders sets), and those inlays are smooth to the touch. The texture is very subtle, only apparent when you're looking for it in the light.

Of course, I haven't seen an inlaid 44mm CPC A-mold chip. You may want to seek one out for comparison. You can see what inlaid 39mm A-mold chips look like in the Atlantic Club or Eagle sample sets if you want to see how textured they would be in person.

I like the A mold, but not as much on the larger denom.

I'd go with scroll mold and work the scroll into the inlay, if you're redoing them all anyway.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom