Bicycle Tires: Has anyone tried to refurbish these chips? (1 Viewer)

charitycase

Flush
Reaction score
Who’s Handy?
I’d like to see someone put their power tools to use and shave those bicycle tires down to a new, sharp edge...

This could be a painstaking process...and would drastically decrease the diameter of the chips. I can’t see this being a good idea.

It HAS been done. And there is a decrease in diameter. I can take photos of the difference, although I think it would be difficult to capture the diameter difference. What's the best way to photograph this, without one of those fancy tools?

I don't think the difference is *that* much. But you can feel it.

You ready for this???

My Nevada Lodge $1s started out as used dirty chips, in quite similar condition to those dirty chips shown below. Here are some stack photos in a rack.

0846BE5B-485B-48E8-97E8-DD7B950D8983.jpeg
91BD16D1-CA98-4EE8-8528-60C4BE86BC01.jpeg
21767EB7-E00B-41E3-8DAC-02338D02BA40.jpeg
FA08BEE4-FE6D-4ED6-88F7-BFCF6747E3DD.jpeg

I figured the best way to show the difference in diameter would be to stand them both on edge, and photograph the chip height. Two photos, what to show what I am doing and the other zoomed in so you can better see the difference in height.

7C4C729E-1229-4552-83E9-2F181186512E.jpeg
DD68561B-2518-4676-85BC-566B9EF8AB67.jpeg

I wish I knew how to do it. I've asked, and was basically told that I wouldn't be able to do it -- and I believe him.
Apparently, it's a HUGE HUGE pain in the butt, with many many steps, including cleaning the chips and sorting them into as similar condition as possible (I had over 2000 of the Nevada Lodge $1 chips to sort through to make similar condition racks). Then sort sort of next step with some machine, I don't know. Then a lot of polishing, and I don't even know what. All I know is that it was pain-staking work, hours and hours and hours and hours per rack, and there is no way this person would do any more of them for me. It cost me a lot of money to have them done, and it was worth every penny. I love them so much. In fact, my chip angel has so much PTSD from the project, that he hasn't even reconditioned the Nevada Lodge $1s for his own set!! He can't bring himself to do it.

Now, somebody figure out how to do it, because I'd love a couple racks of "reconditioned Outpost $1s!!.

I wish I knew how to do it. I've asked, and was basically told that I wouldn't be able to do it -- and I believe him.
Apparently, it's a HUGE HUGE pain in the butt, with many many steps, including cleaning the chips and sorting them into as similar condition as possible (I had over 2000 of the Nevada Lodge $1 chips to sort through to make similar condition racks). Then sort sort of next step with some machine, I don't know. Then a lot of polishing, and I don't even know what. All I know is that it was pain-staking work, hours and hours and hours and hours per rack, and there is no way this person would do any more of them for me. It cost me a lot of money to have them done, and it was worth every penny. I love them so much. In fact, my chip angel has so much PTSD from the project, that he hasn't even reconditioned the Nevada Lodge $1s for his own set!! He can't bring himself to do it.

Now, somebody figure out how to do it, because I'd love a couple racks of "reconditioned Outpost $1s!!.
Such a cool story - Great post!

You ready for this???

My Nevada Lodge $1s started out as used dirty chips, in quite similar condition to those dirty chips shown below. Here are some stack photos in a rack.

View attachment 366959View attachment 366960View attachment 366961View attachment 366962
These pics are amazing. I could only imagine what those Outpost 1s would look like after this process...I wonder if you could just use a lathe and wet sand the rolling edges would be minimal material removed might be harder to square them like those are though but I bet it could be done.

These pics are amazing. I could only imagine what those Outpost 1s would look like after this process...I wonder if you could just use a lathe and wet sand the rolling edges would be minimal material removed might be harder to square them like those are though but I bet it could be done.

My guess is that words like "lathe" and "wet sand" are involved in the process, even though I have no idea what that means. It sure would be worth figuring it out. I wish I had the skills and know-how. I'd do nothing else in my spare time. :)

I'm one lucky girl. I have EIGHT racks of those refurbished $1s. A freakin' limit set of TRK awesomeness. Maybe these photos shed some light on my obsession. I want to own all things Nevada Lodge :)

One day, I hope to have a slot machine. I love my tables. I gobble up all the chips I can find. These $1s solidified my obsession.

My concern wouldn't be losing some of the diameter, but losing the exact same amount of diameter per chip, especially as all chips aren't worn the same amount.
I’m guessing that if there was a lathe involved in this process as @liftapint mentioned, I would think doing a barrel at a time pressed together would leave the same diameter per chip.
Next barrel placed identical to the first should produce same results.
Just guessing though, no idea how this is really done.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom