Betting habits, $20 vs $25 chips for home cash games (1 Viewer)

Personally I've never seen a $25 bill.

It is definitely a real effect, even for experienced players, myself included. I played in a weekly game that the host didn’t like big stacks for whatever reason. It made me play a little bit tighter with some speculative hands than I otherwise would have if I had a mountain of $5 chips like I would at my games.

For me, it's the rarity effect, at least in smaller games where a $20 or $25 is the top denomination in play. Usually, there aren't that many of them out there, so once someone has them, he doesn't want to give them up unless it's necessary. It's almost like having a little piles of trophies you've collected. If I bet them, I'm not getting them back unless I win the pot, or win them back by stacking someone else.

Knowing that, I'd rather not bet them when I can cover the amount in $5s and still have plenty. I'm the same way in limit games, even if, say, the workhorse is $2.50 and the value chip is $25. The last round of betting caps at $25 before it gets to me (it's a real live game ;)), so do I throw 10 workhorse chips or 1 value chip? Workhorse chips all day.

It is definitely a real effect, even for experienced players, myself included. I played in a weekly game that the host didn’t like big stacks for whatever reason. It made me play a little bit tighter with some speculative hands than I otherwise would have if I had a mountain of $5 chips like I would at my games.

View attachment 239230

The host doesn't like big stacks, so he makes everyone play with five denominations?

And he runs a game that big with chips anyone could buy online for $0.13 each?!

Gross.

The host doesn't like big stacks, so he makes everyone play with five denominations?

And he runs a game that big with chips anyone could buy online for $0.13 each?!

Gross.

He did, game broke about a year ago. I tried to explain chip security to him but didn’t care.

He did, game broke about a year ago. I tried to explain chip security to him but didn’t care.

Crazy. People like that won't care, won't care, won't care, until one night the bank is $500 light, with 5 bonus mint-condition hundos in play, and he can't do a damn thing but eat the shortage.

There's a local underground game near me that uses relabeled (with cheapo glossy labels) Welcome to Las Vegas plastic chips for a $1/$2 game that plays pretty deep. I've considered mentioning that they should invest in customs. It's just one of those things, though. I would most likely get blown off, or worse, catch suspicion if someone does eventually smuggle counterfeit chips into their game. It wouldn't be hard at all, and I'm genuinely surprised it hasn't happened.

Crazy. People like that won't care, won't care, won't care, until one night the bank is $500 light, with 5 bonus mint-condition hundos in play, and he can't do a damn thing but eat the shortage.

There's a local underground game near me that uses relabeled (with cheapo glossy labels) Welcome to Las Vegas plastic chips for a $1/$2 game that plays pretty deep. I've considered mentioning that they should invest in customs. It's just one of those things, though. I would most likely get blown off, or worse, catch suspicion if someone does eventually smuggle counterfeit chips into their game. It wouldn't be hard at all, and I'm genuinely surprised it hasn't happened.

Right before I joined the game bank did come up short $500 one time. The money was taken out of the bad beat jackpot. The players and host figured a rebuy was missed (players went in the books) but it is very possible one of them snuck extra chips in. After that game 2 people were required to keep track of all buy-ins and rebuys.

Once I was established enough I was planning on offering to rent one of my sets to the game (host was raking anyways) for better security, but I pretty much broke the game.

Some of the players i play with with use the $25 chip when they feel strongly about their hands so they dont bother counting out $5’s. Also use it as a bluff too since most of us know how he bets lol. It can be a strategy chip in my game
I have seen this as well or it goes hand in hand with using smaller denom chips for weaker hands. I also know other folks pay attention to this and use it to their advantage.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom