"Better hands call and worse hands fold" (1 Viewer)

pbraves

Sitting Out
Reaction score
So I'm relatively new to poker, I've played a dozen home $10 with rebuy cash games and played at a 0.50/0.50 poker room twice. I've read this concept of betting in wrong places, "Better hands call and worse hands fold". How do I know I am in "Better hands call and worse hands" fold position? Is it mainly applicable to flop texture? Overbetting/PSB's? A conceptual answer is just fine, rather than specific examples but examples always help clarify! Thanks!

Cutoff limped T9o
BB calls with 32s
Flop is AAT.
BB check
Cutoff goes all in (20 BB).
BB folds

No reason for the cutoff to jam with something like that unless they wanted to just get out fast. BB wasn't going to call because it was a free flop and had nothing. But he could have easily held an Ace and scooped up the pot.

Hope this helps

Primarily to do with your “range” (the probable hands you’re holding based upon your preflop and postflop action) and your opponent’s range and how they both connect with that particular board texture (lots of draws available, lots of big hands available or unconnected).

For example on an :ac::kc::ts:board betting :5s::5h:against a preflop raiser you’re probably only getting called by hands that are way ahead of you and hands that are behind are folding anyway.

You want to be betting in spots where better hands fold and worse hands can call.

Primarily to do with your “range” (the probable hands you’re holding based upon your preflop and postflop action) and your opponent’s range and how they both connect with that particular board texture (lots of draws available, lots of big hands available or unconnected).

For example on an :ac::kc::ts:board betting :5s::5h:against a preflop raiser you’re probably only getting called by hands that are way ahead of you and hands that are behind are folding anyway.

You want to be betting in spots where better hands fold and worse hands can call.

Like the above example, if you are the villain and you bet first into that AK10 board with 44, you most likely will get the 55 -the better hand- to fold, while another person with two clubs -not a made hand- may call.

So I'm relatively new to poker, I've played a dozen home $10 with rebuy cash games and played at a 0.50/0.50 poker room twice. I've read this concept of betting in wrong places, "Better hands call and worse hands fold". How do I know I am in "Better hands call and worse hands" fold position? Is it mainly applicable to flop texture? Overbetting/PSB's? A conceptual answer is just fine, rather than specific examples but examples always help clarify! Thanks!

I may be at risk of stating the obvious here but,

This situation really only applies to a value bet.
If you are betting as a bluff, you are trying to make money but getting a better hand to fold.
If you are value betting, you are trying to make money by getting a worse hand to call.

This 'rule' mainly applies to situations where you think you are likely to have the best hand, and you
are deciding whether to make a value bet or not.
But just because you think you have the best hand, doesn't mean you should value bet because you
don't win any more money by folding out a worse hand, AND you lose more money (your 'value' bet)
when a better hand calls you.

Practically, just think of how your opponent would play your exact hand facing the bet. If it’s marginal, you should reconsider the bet.

This situation really only applies to a value bet.
This 'rule' mainly applies to situations where you think you are likely to have the best hand, and you
are deciding whether to make a value bet or not.

Applicable to bluffs too- don’t bluff if your showdown value already way ahead of your opponents fold range.

And really this type of bet is neither a bluff nor value bet which is why it’s a big mistake

Put simply, if you have some showdown value (mid/bottom pair for example), but are still pretty weak because of board texture you shouldn’t be betting. Top pairs+ will always be calling anyways and the hands you were beating anyways will fold. So you want to minimize the risk to your stack by checking.

My favorite example is, after a pre-flop bet by the hero and one caller, you get a flop of :as::ah::8c:. With Hero holding :qc::qd:, Hero is likely either way ahead or way behind. So, what do you do here? Are you betting into a hand that has you absolutely destroyed or one that has no chance of beating you?

Bet sizing becomes so important at this point.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom