Better Call Saul (AMC Series/Breaking Bad Spinoff) (2 Viewers)

jbutler

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Anyone else catch the two-night premiere Sunday and Monday nights? The preview to whet your appetite (and the website because it's great):

I saw Sunday's which was amazing and I have Monday's lined up ready for me when I have a free hour. Though according to the New Yorker, Monday's is the better episode, I LOVED Sunday's episode one. Bob Odenkirk is always hilarious and there are a ton of easter eggs in there for Breaking Bad fans.

Fresh Air also reaired their 2013 interview with Bob Odenkirk, so it popped up in my podcast feed again and it's really, really entertaining even a second time around.

I can't wait to see where this goes. Hopefully it will be on for at least a few seasons.

I have watched all of Breaking Bad...obviously and although I love the premise of the show I was listening to one of my weekly podcasts (BS Report with Bill Simmons) who had TV critic Andy Greenwald on; he brought up a good point. It kinda sucks that we already know what Saul becomes and what the end result of some of the characters will be. Part of the lure of the TV shows I was, is that I literally can never guess where the character will end up.

So I have high hopes, and I think Gilligan is a genius; but I still think the lure of a regular new show is gone because we know where many of the characters will end.

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/b-s-report-andy-greenwald-and-jacko/

I have watched all of Breaking Bad...obviously and although I love the premise of the show I was listening to one of my weekly podcasts (BS Report with Bill Simmons) who had TV critic Andy Greenwald on; he brought up a good point. It kinda sucks that we already know what Saul becomes and what the end result of some of the characters will be. Part of the lure of the TV shows I was, is that I literally can never guess where the character will end up.

So I have high hopes, and I think Gilligan is a genius; but I still think the lure of a regular new show is gone because we know where many of the characters will end.

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/b-s-report-andy-greenwald-and-jacko/

I agree. Maybe we will have to just try to enjoy the journey.

Almost started a similar thread last night. The new show does show some real promise, although I'm having a bit of a hard time trying to figure how they plan to end it long-term (since we already sorta know the ending). Should be an entertaining journey, nonetheless.

i guess i understand that, but it's not a problem for me. it's sort of like a detective show where you already know the identity of the killer (see: the fall, happy valley, etc.).

it's a different angle on a story, but not necessarily a less one.

Based on the tv promos I didn't have high hopes for it, but just watched the first episode last night and loved it. It started off pretty slow, but then picked up steam. I think they did a good job of making it feel like you were watching a kettle that was slowly getting ready to boil as the tension and frustration mounted.

Haven't seen the 2nd episode yet but heard it's better than the first so looking forward to it.

Based on the tv promos I didn't have high hopes for it, but just watched the first episode last night and loved it. It started off pretty slow, but then picked up steam. I think they did a good job of making it feel like you were watching a kettle that was slowly getting ready to boil as the tension and frustration mounted.

Haven't seen the 2nd episode yet but heard it's better than the first so looking forward to it.

i actually preferred the first half of the first episode when it was more "a day in the life of saul goodman" than the fast-moving story it became. i'm sure there will be elements of both going forward, though, and i'm optimistic for sure.

I watched both premieres and I thought it was great. I'm looking forward to seeing how they develop Saul. I wonder if someday they might have Jesse Pinkman show up being Jesse already knew about Saul before he started working with Walter.

Oh the possibilities!

Great episodes so far. I was really looking forward to this, as Saul was my favorite character on Breaking Bad, and I have not been disappointed. As far as already knowing the outcome, I think we may eventually see some of Saul's future after the Breaking Bad timeline, as was shown in the beginning of the pilot.

SPOILER ALERTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the best lines of the show so far (and there have been some really good ones):
I'm a great lawyer. I got a death sentence reduced to six-months probation.

Also noteworthy:
I'm the guy on your speed dial right after your weed dealer.
The only way that entire car’s worth $500 is if there’s a $300 hooker sitting in it!

All extremely funny in the context of the scenes.

I watched the first instalment last night. Looks like it'll be great fun.

I wasn't too taken by the shoehorning in of BB characters, a big fat Repo Man "lattice of coincidence". I hope that doesn't continue, although I'll seasoning my hat ready to eat it in case it does continue and it proves well done.

Saul was a great character in BB, so there'll be plenty of mileage in his backstory without the need to wade too deep into BB storyline territory necessarily...

I'm liking it so far.

Kind of like Star Wars :)

Just caught the 2nd episode. The only weakpoint for me is Tuco, never liked him in BB, not a fan here. His acting is just too over the top for me. Loving Toll Booth Mike

I watched it, with high hopes. BB was one of the best shows on television - ever (many critics agree). Unfortunately, like so many sequels/prequels/spin-offs, it has not grabbed me by the collar and demanded I watch another episode.

I will give it the entire season. Some of the best shows take their time developing characters, much like BB did when developing Walt throughout the series. But we cannot forget, Gilligan was responsible for taking a beautiful story arc in the X-Files (The Truth is Out There) and turning it into the televised version of Taco Bell (you don't want to know the truth). Instead of moving forward to a conclusion he gave us more of the same, no end in sight. As long as people are buying he was selling. It eventually killed the series without a worthy end. He also gave us Hancock, the movie that should have been a tv series, for all the character development that should have happened, but didn't. Instead he gave us a movie version of a Jolly Rancher - great if you have the mind of a 3 year old, but anybody with a more advanced mentality could tell it was desperately lacking substance.

So, yes, I will watch, based on AMC's track record: BB, Walking Dead, Mad Men. Someone signing checks knows quality, and I will invest my time because I trust that particular checkbook.

Well 2/3 ain't bad

Which 2/3?

I enjoy watching walking dead simply because its entertaining but as far as plot consistency and character development, its terrible. How many times can you go to X location, lose track of your group and lose a member of the group due to zombies. That plot line is getting really old.

Which 2/3?

I enjoy watching walking dead simply because its entertaining but as far as plot consistency and character development, its terrible. How many times can you go to X location, lose track of your group and lose a member of the group due to zombies. That plot line is getting really old.

The only redeeming quality for the walking dead is the fantastic makeup work they do on the zeds. the rest of the show is absolute rubbish.

'Better Call Saul' certainly is a lot more darkly comedic at the moment thanks to the "Biznatch" incident. It shows his bumbling start and early transition to the silver tongued Saul Goodman. Just like Walt's alter ego was Heisenberg, we shall see the progression of Jimmy into Saul.

just watched the second episode and it was indeed better than the first. i loved tuco and i loved his partner. i don't expect this to be transcendent television like breaking bad, but i'd be shocked if it didn't continue to be very good.

Loving it so far. Bob Odenkirk is always hilarious and so underrated as an actor.

HEY TUCO (sung to the lyrics of Hey Puchuco from the movie The Mask)

Hey, Tuco!

You broke his knee, he's a big baby
Just had a fight, he's not alright
You see him coming you better steer wide
Tonight there's no place to hide

thinking back on the
tuco leg-breaking scene,
i wonder if it's a flaw in the show that i was laughing out loud throughout. the score is pretty clearly indicating that it's intended to be a harrowing scene and a wake-up call for saul, but i wonder whether the score wasn't meant to work on multiple levels: dark and ominous for those who cringed at the scene and even more darkly humorous for those who were laughing already.

it was michelle maclaren directing and she's pretty amazing as a television director, so i would tend toward the latter as that kind of nuance from her would not be surprising, but it's hard to say ultimately.

I definitely felt that scene was meant to show Saul finally catching his stride being a lawyer and arguing his case, gaining some confidence in his abilities and eventually becoming the confident (and cocky) attorney we know from BB

Almost started a similar thread last night. The new show does show some real promise, although I'm having a bit of a hard time trying to figure how they plan to end it long-term (since we already sorta know the ending). Should be an entertaining journey, nonetheless.

The ending should be, obviously, Walt and Jesse sitting in the car, flipping the coin to decide who goes in to talk to him about Badger... Fade to black as Walt opens the door...

The ending should be, obviously, Walt and Jesse sitting in the car, flipping the coin to decide who goes in to talk to him about Badger... Fade to black as Walt opens the door...

having recently rewatched s02e08 where saul makes his first appearance, i was thinking along these same lines, but had something slightly different in mind: it should be from saul's perspective, so i would prefer the closing scene to be him rifling through new files in the halls of the jail, pulling one out and muttering, "brandon mayhew..." then the door opens and he sees badger sitting down with dj qualls (the skinny detective) leaning over the table. the door closes on the camera and the credits pop up as we hear his opening line from that episode: "eh, what are you doing detective? what are you doing talking to my client without me being present?"

alternatively, since it was already mentioned above that there's a possibility that the series could extend to the events following breaking bad if it goes long enough to meet up with that timeline, the above scene could be the closing scene to the season/mid-season break before jumping to the post-BB timeline.

either way, i would love it. i have been critical (at least in personal discussions - can't remember if i posted about it here or in the movies/tv threads) of stunt casting of actors who previously appeared on acclaimed TV shows (most commonly stunt casting of the wire alumni) designed to cause people to give the show more credit that it has earned to that point. but here, gilligan has been up front that the show will depict saul's evolution and the beginnings of his involvement with mike, tuco, et al., so it gets a pass for what i would otherwise probably deem stunt casting.

the stunt gags they've included so far have been sufficiently subtle for me. my two favorites off the top of my head:

(1) as he exited the jail, the casual panning from a shot of the cadillac of the kind he later owns during the BB timeline to the shit-mobile that he currently drives;

(2) the shot of the dented silver trashcan in the elevator lobby of his brother's firm and the later sequence of him kicking the shit out of said trash can, indicating to the audience that he's been in this situation before and acted similarly (made further obvious by the shot of the woman tidying up the trash can after he leaves) tying into a similar scene in the final season of BB where walter sees the dented silver paper towel holder in the bathroom of his doctor's office, reminding him of his previous violent episode in season 2 where he punches the container. we see that saul is currently on a different trajectory from walt, not yet having overcome his frustrations.

That blond chick who fixes the trash played an attorney on the tv show Franklin & Bash which was recently cancelled (although my wife and I loved it, Malcolm McDowell is brilliant as always)

having recently rewatched s02e08 where saul makes his first appearance, i was thinking along these same lines, but had something slightly different in mind: it should be from saul's perspective, so i would prefer the closing scene to be him rifling through new files in the halls of the jail, pulling one out and muttering, "brandon mayhew..." then the door opens and he sees badger sitting down with dj qualls (the skinny detective) leaning over the table. the door closes on the camera and the credits pop up as we hear his opening line from that episode: "eh, what are you doing detective? what are you doing talking to my client without me being present?"

Better thought out than my scenario. Well done.

Hopefully some more easter eggs in the show to honor breaking bad and maybe even some quick cameo appearances by BB cast members. Also Bryan Cranston is slated to direct a few episodes as well.

these first two episodes made me get a real hankering for BB, so since i had already revisited s02e08 for saul's first apperance, i just kept going from there and man, i am loving my fourth watch of the series.

hard to believe that - at least according to my memory - that it only gets better (at least through the end of the fourth season). also hard to believe that i'm still noticing new things even this fourth time through.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom