Better Call Saul (AMC Series/Breaking Bad Spinoff) (2 Viewers)

Loving BCS and eager to see what happens next season. It's interesting to have a self-aware character who knows he's making/made choices that will define him going forward and recognizes the conflicts, moral, social, etc. Slippin' Jimmy: pitied and castigated by his brother Chuck, yet idolized by his friend Marco. "Doing the right thing" regarding the $1.6M yet vowing to not tow the line in the future. Jonathan Banks as Mike is probably even more enjoyable in this series than in BB.

Recently rewatched all of BB again and it's still the best ever imo. But it really picks up in season 3 and later. Almost every character undergoes unexpected change even to sophisticated viewers.

Jonathan Banks as Mike is probably even more enjoyable in this series than in BB.

hard to believe, but i actually might end up agreeing with this, especially if he continues to carry as much of the dramatic load in the second season.

Loving BCS and eager to see what happens next season. It's interesting to have a self-aware character who knows he's making/made choices that will define him going forward and recognizes the conflicts, moral, social, etc. Slippin' Jimmy: pitied and castigated by his brother Chuck, yet idolized by his friend Marco. "Doing the right thing" regarding the $1.6M yet vowing to not tow the line in the future. Jonathan Banks as Mike is probably even more enjoyable in this series than in BB.

Recently rewatched all of BB again and it's still the best ever imo. But it really picks up in season 3 and later. Almost every character undergoes unexpected change even to sophisticated viewers.

I agree with all of this. I also agree you are probably a sophisticated viewer, despite the fact that you are form KY.

Watching Saul break good, only to be breaking bad again, and being conflicted about it is the best part. I think that is the greatness of both of these shows. Gilligan really finds a way to allow the characters to slide into the darker choices in a way that makes you understand and sympathise with their choices. At least for a while.

What's most interesting is that when you guys quote me my previous avatar is displayed and not the current one used at time of my post. Conspiracy.

i don't even see avatars in quotes either in browser or tapatalk.

***conversation moved from TWD thread***

I actually like the first season of Better Call Saul better than I liked the first season of Breaking Bad. Not that I didn't like BB, I did. I think maybe BB got your expectations up so high that nothing could live up to it. As far as the new Walking Dead, the first season is only 6 episondes long, so I'll give it a shot. I'm not expecting it the greatest show on tv by any means, but it has piqued my curiosity enough to watch at least a couple episodes.

two things: (1) now that you mention season 1 of BB, it occurs to me that at least the first half of that season compares pretty favorably with episode 1 of BCC in the sense that they both appear to begin as broad comedies and then quickly go to darker, more serious places. this is actually another way in which the BCC showrunner/writers followed the BB pattern, which makes me only more certain of my view.

(2) my expectations were not really set up by BB at all for two reasons. first, i'm inherently skeptical of any spin-off/sequel; and second, i honestly expected it to diverge significantly from the tone of breaking bad and to be only nominally connected to the BB universe. i will still defend the decisions to bring minor - and in mike's case, major - BB characters in for roles in BCC because i think it makes sense. but again, the tone is the same, so in a way, the show did the only thing they could have done to cause me to compare the two: they made them pretty much as similar as possible.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom