Better Call Saul (AMC Series/Breaking Bad Spinoff) (2 Viewers)

just watched this week's ep. wow. fucking brutal. absolutely wonderful work by both michael mckean and odenkirk in that last scene, though. this is another contender for best episode of the season for me.

#teamdog opinions don't carry much weight around these parts.

1503413_10100527133901459_3433197930779554071_n.jpg Angus says 6/10 as well. #teamdog

just watched this week's ep. wow. fucking brutal. absolutely wonderful work by both michael mckean and odenkirk in that last scene, though. this is another contender for best episode of the season for me.

Agreed. Add in Mike's story line for levity and it was a great watch. The monologue about "good" and "bad" professions was incredible. (and I'm paraphrasing) "Fact is, you took something that wasn't yours, and you sold it for a profit. That makes you a criminal. You decide whether to be good or bad."

"So. Whatcha packin'?"
"A pimento."
"Huh? I'm sorry, what?"
"A pimento cheese sandwich."

I just watched it this morning, as I was in CA all week last week. I agree, great episode. I was enthralled. This show is shaping up beautifully. I'm dying for tomorrow's episode. No action on the emmy.

Didn't realize the Costner was a call back! Great stuff. Good finale.
Can't wait for Season 2.

Time for GoT!

"It was a simple Chicago Sunroof!" ...Good season finale but not the cliffhanger that Breaking Bad used to leave us with. Definitely looking forward to next season.

not the cliffhanger that Breaking Bad used to leave us with.

no, but it's a very different show. i think a breaking bad-style cliffhanger would reek of desperation. as it is, they don't have to be desperate. they've got plenty of viewers. their ratings are already better than all but the last season of breaking bad.

i think a breaking bad-style cliffhanger would reek of desperation.

I don't see the true correlation between a cliffhanger and desperation, all a cliffhanger does is it attempts to get the existing viewing audience to tune in next season. Either way. I am looking forward to next season.

I don't see the true correlation between a cliffhanger and desperation, all a cliffhanger does is it attempts to get the existing viewing audience to tune in next season.

it would be a cliffhanger for this show because they would be departing from the structure and the themes of the series thus far for the sake of the finale, indicating their desperation to lure viewers for the season 2 premiere.

I can't believe I have been watching this season as it came out. I prefer binge watching. Going on hiatus until the show is done running. (Will probably last till s02e02).

glad we found out definitively what a chicago sunroof is. now to come up with a name for the subset of said sunroofs that involve cubscouts...

now i'm curious how the series will carry on in the second season. will we leave chuck and HHM behind entirely? what about kim? will we jump ahead a year to see him already enmeshed in the criminal underworld or will we see how he gradually makes inroads?

despite a few complaints early on that the series was throwing out little treats to BB fans with tuco's and mike's initial appearances, i have to say that i think the showrunners have - to their credit - avoided the type of pandering a lot of spin-offs devolve into. and while i was at first hoping for a more comic version of saul's beginnings, they've done well in choosing the nature of the show. it could have been a monster-of-the-week structure with a longer underlying arc (x-files-style) or it could have chosen to have season-long arcs strung together with interesting b- and c- stories (wire-style), but i think they've chosen to simply follow jimmy/saul and allow the natural shorter storylines and longer arcs to exist within the broader structure.

I did not know that his children were in the backseat...

I liked the first season. I love the character development and can't wait for season 2 next year. (blech next year...)

My favorite scene is still the courtroom defense comments followed by the prosecution's video rebuttal.

Courtroom.png

So as a non-BB fan who has not and has no intention of watching the vast majority of that show, is it even possible to attempt to watch this one? It sounds much better (from my perspective) but is watching BB really a prerequisite to "getting" this show?

You don't need to watch BB to see this show. With the exception of the main character in Better Call Saul being a character on BB there really hasn't been any tie-ins that would require you to watch BB first. Better Call Saul is its own standalone show.

BTW: I can't wait for season 2!!!!

So as a non-BB fan who has not and has no intention of watching the vast majority of that show, is it even possible to attempt to watch this one? It sounds much better (from my perspective) but is watching BB really a prerequisite to "getting" this show?

having seen BB is absolutely not a prerequisite as grantland can attest. great as a standalone.

Ben, first of all, I used to like you. This post makes me very sad. BB is amazing.

Second, I agree, BCS is certainly a stand alone entity. There are little crumbs for the BB fanatics, but they are just that, tiny little extras, not essential in any way.

Second, I agree, BCS is certainly a stand alone entity. There are little crumbs for the BB fanatics, but they are just that, tiny little extras, not essential in any way.

I was going to respond but I couldn't think exactly how to word it. You did it perfectly CR.

Thanks, I'll definitely check it out at some point then.

Re: BB - I don't doubt that it's an amazing show; I watched 3 episodes and could see why many (most?) would really enjoy it. It just pushed my personal "I hate it when they do that sh*t" buttons WAY too many times in those 3 episodes. Nothing but personal preference.

Burgers are good, and you could offer me the best burger ever in the world, but if you put mayonnaise on it, I'm still not going to eat it. :oops:

Re: BB - I don't doubt that it's an amazing show; I watched 3 episodes and could see why many (most?) would really enjoy it. It just pushed my personal "I hate it when they do that sh*t" buttons WAY too many times in those 3 episodes. Nothing but personal preference.

Burgers are good, and you could offer me the best burger ever in the world, but if you put mayonnaise on it, I'm still not going to eat it. :oops:

As somebody who has seen a whole bunch of BB episodes (but not the entire series, it's on the to-do list), I'm curious as to exactly what 'sh*t' they did that pushed your hate button multiple times. Every episode I've seen has been stellar in nearly every aspect....

BSC is definitely worth checking out, even with no BB reference. It's no BB, but it is still some pretty good TV imo.

Ben, first of all, I used to like you. This post makes me very sad. BB is amazing.

I watched all of BB but only once, and I miss most of the homage stuff and only notice it when it's pointed out in this thread or in other places. Definitely not necessary, but I would still encourage you to get through the first season and watch the first 3-4 episodes of season 2 before you make any decision about giving up for good.

All you need is the first episode of BB. You are either hooked or you hate it. IMO it was the best pilot I had ever seen and I was on the edge of my seat the rest of the way.

Re Burgers: If someone claimed they had the world's best burger, I think I would try it no matter what they put on it. But I am just crazy like that.

All you need is the first episode of BB. You are either hooked or you hate it. IMO it was the best pilot I had ever seen and I was on the edge of my seat the rest of the way.

i don't really agree with this. i mean, i agree with regard to the quality, but i see it a lot like the first episode of BCS. it was really fun and had part of the spirit that carried through the rest of the season, but really it was much more comic and didn't communicate the scope of the show.

i liked the first season of breaking bad, but i honestly probably wouldn't have watched it had i not been able to watch it all straight through. i just got lucky in the sense that AMC decided to make the whole thing on-demand before the season 2 premiere and i was sick in bed at the time. otherwise i probably wouldn't have gotten on board until season 4 or later.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom