Bet sizing: how to get all in by the river? (1 Viewer)

dmoney

Full House
Reaction score
Is there a formula or shorthand for bet sizing on the flop AND turn that will leave you with about a pot size bet to jam on the River?

For example, if there’s 90 in your stack and 30 in the pot on the turn, a bet of 20 (90-30/3) with one call will leave you with a stack of 70 and a pot of 70 on the river.

Does a similar framework exist for flop betting?

With one street remaining (betting on the turn), the formula would be:

(Effective Stack-Pot)/(1+# of players).

So if Stack was 90 and pot was 30 with 2 players (you and 1 other), the (90-30)/(1+2) = 60/3 = $20
If stack is 90 and pot is 30 with 3 players (you and 2 others), (90-30)/(1+3) - 60/4 = $15. Your stack goes down to $75, and $30 + 3*$15 = $75

Of course that is assuming everyone is calling in this scenario. I guess the formula really should be:

(effective stack-pot)/(1+expected # of callers + you) or even easier (Stack - Pot)/(2+expected callers)

With one street remaining (betting on the turn), the formula would be:

(Effective Stack-Pot)/(1+# of players).

So if Stack was 90 and pot was 30 with 2 players (you and 1 other), the (90-30)/(1+2) = 60/3 = $20
If stack is 90 and pot is 30 with 3 players (you and 2 others), (90-30)/(1+3) - 60/4 = $15. Your stack goes down to $75, and $30 + 3*$15 = $75
To clarify, my question is what would be the framework for figuring this out with TWO streets remaining?

ex I’ve picked a spot to bluff and I want to jam the river. I’ve got 95 in my stack and the pot is 10 on the flop.

If such a framework exists Im looking for the rough outline of “how much would I have to bet on this flop, given this stack and pot, if I wanted to set up a River all in?”

I usually do effective stack divided by 12-15. And then get more precise on turn street

So I’d bet 7 or 8 (pot becomes 24, 88 back, then you’re right around pot-pot.

Off the top of my head I can't come up with the formula that I have seen in the past. I think in was the Sklansky and Miller's Theory of No Limit Hold'em. But other math/theory books that have some focus on big bet games should have at least a small section on planning out bet sizes to get your stack in. Basically I just work it out in my head what bet sizes I want to make to get it in on the river, generally I like making a smaller river bet when I think I'm facing a draw so I can get more in while villain is drawing and attempt to kill their implied odds. But I have always been better then average at doing mental arithmatic so that probably defeats your purpose of finding a formula.

Is there a formula or shorthand for bet sizing on the flop AND turn that will leave you with about a pot size bet to jam on the River?

For example, if there’s 90 in your stack and 30 in the pot on the turn, a bet of 20 (90-30/3) with one call will leave you with a stack of 70 and a pot of 70 on the river.

Does a similar framework exist for flop betting?

I usually get it all in pre-flop. No formula needed.

Overbets are fun too but you’ll need to work in an occasional overbet bluff to stay balanced

rarely do you want to choose same sizing on all streets. much more common is to choose your initial bet smaller though and later streets bigger.
the reasoning isn't that intuitive but it's what solvers gravitates towards with the bulk of it's range

ie: in a single raised pot with 100bb starting stacks, the bulk of hands choose 1/3rd pot flop sizing. the bulk of turn bets are closer to half pot and the bulk of river bets will be 2/3rds pot to full pot with some subset of the nutted hands being a roughly 1.5x pot all-in.

and the shallower you are the smaller sizing it chooses.

but to answer your question,

heads up with one street remaining if called , it's 4x stack:pot ratio for pot sized bets.
(your turn sizing) ie:

stack 400 / pot 100
bet 100,
stack remaining: 300 / pot 300
bet 300,
stack remaining: 0 / pot 900

with two streets remaining if called, it's 13:1
(your flop sizing) ie:

stack 1,300 / pot 100

bet 100,
stack remaining: 1,200 / pot 300.
bet 300,
stack remaining: 900 / pot 900
bet 900,
stack remaining: 0 / pot 2700

------------

for half pot bets one extra street it's 1.5:1
stack 150 / pot 100

bet 50,
stack remaining: 100 / pot 200
bet 100,
stack remaining: 0 / pot 400

for half pot bets with two streets remaining it's 3.5:1
stack 350 / pot 100

bet 50,
stack remaining: 300 / pot 200
bet 100,
stack remaining 200 / pot 400
bet 200,
stack remaining 0 / pot 800

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom