Best way to ship a single chip in small padded envelope? (1 Viewer)

ADS Aviator

Flush
Reaction score
I tried searching but am getting frustrated. Can someone help?

Is there an easy way to print out a USPS shipping label w/ postage for a 4x6 padded envelope? If this was sold through eBay you can print a 1st class postage label w/ tracking for $2-3. How do I do this outside of eBay? Seems like there should be an easy way to do this.

I’ve asked the post office clerk to send as non machine first class. Some do it happily. Some do it begrudgingly or try to tell me it is violating a rule. But then when it fits through a little hole they measure it seems they stop complaining.

I’ve asked the post office clerk to send as non machine first class. Some do it happily. Some do it begrudgingly or try to tell me it is violating a rule. But then when it fits through a little hole they measure it seems they stop complaining.

I just did this yesterday. I brought a single chip in a plastic sleeve to the counter and asked for the least expensive way to ship it. They provided the envelope and stamped it non machineable. Charged me 84 cents.

I put a single chip inside half of a coffee sleeve (Tim Hortons, Starbucks, etc). I staple the open corners of the sleeve so the chip doesn't move. Then I trim the corners to make the footprint a little smaller. Then I tape the sleeve to the center of a piece of paper so it doesn't move during shipment. I tri fold the paper and put it in standard envelope. I tape all edges of the envelope with packaging tape. That way, if the chip does break free, it's less likely to fall out of the envelope.

USPS regulations say you can ship flat items in a standard first class envelope this way. As mentioned, they will charge you a non-machinable surcharge. But for one or two chips it should be under a dollar. And also as mentioned, some postal workers will not agree that it being done in this fashion is "bendable" and they will charge you $3+ to ship it, same as a padded envelope.

You can buy a 1 oz non machinable stamp. Theoretically, you can put the stamp on your envelope and drop it in the mailbox, bypassing the counter.

If I am shipping in a padded envelope, I just go to the postage ATM machine and have a label printed. Tracking is included if you do it that way. Same cost.

PayPal multi order shipping is what I was looking for. I remember seeing it in another thread. PayPal could make it easier to find.

Costs $2 more, but worth it to me not to stand in line at post office.

This...

1A1E055C-D140-41B3-82DF-AEE9C570CBCC.jpeg

Yes. The blue butterfly non-machineable stamp is what I use to mail 1 or 2 chips, but I've only successfully used it on standard 'non-padded' envelopes, that will slide through a mail slot, not for padded envelopes.

You can order them here:
https://store.usps.com/store/product/buy-stamps/eastern-tailed-blue-butterfly-70¢-S_119504 (this link says for square envelopes, but the non-machinable surcharge will also work for slightly bumpy or other things in envelopes, where the machine rollers might damage or rip the paper.)

I once took a small, padded, envelope with 1 chip to the counter at the post office, and they charged $3.00 postage (or more now), for a padded envelope.

I've since resorted to using a standard envelope, with thin cardboard around the chip, similar to @WedgeRock's method above. Write NON-MACHINEABLE somewhere else on the front of the envelope along with the blue butterfly non-machineable stamp.

Last edited:
Yes, a padded envelope will not fit through the test slot, and must be sent at the first class package rate, which is $3+ for anything one ounce or less.

@DoubleEagle's blue butterfly stamp is the one I've used with success.

Find some cereal box type boxboard and cut it about the size of a credit card. Wrap the chip in seran wrap and tape the chip to surface. Tape the sides of the boxboard and dump it in the envelope. If they ask, it's a prototype sample of a wedding invitation.

Yes, a padded envelope will not fit through the test slot, and must be sent at the first class package rate, which is $3+ for anything one ounce or less.

@DoubleEagle's blue butterfly stamp is the one I've used with success.
I use a 6x9 padded envelope with the butterfly stamp and just drop it in the regular mailbox. It fits that slot! ;)

I may have not put enough postage (single Forever stamp) on two seperate envelopes each with a single chip inside. Will I get them back or will they deliver them with the “Postage Due” sticker?

I may have not put enough postage (single Forever stamp) on two seperate envelopes each with a single chip inside. Will I get them back or will they deliver them with the “Postage Due” sticker?

I think those get dumped in the Colorado River.

Shipping two singles in the US, but I've used this method for overseas too.

Scissors, coffee sleeve, Scotch tape, packaging tape, #10 envelope, 1 sheet of paper.

IMG_20190724_224619474.jpg

Cut the coffee sleeve in half. Two staples in each half will keep the chips from moving.

IMG_20190726_075940685.jpg

IMG_20190726_080017619.jpg

Trim the excess off the sleeves to reduce the rigidness of the final package. That's sometimes what hangs the USPS up (that it's rigid, not bendable). Tri-fold the sheet of paper and use scotch tape to secure the chips to the center. This avoids them moving around, and keeps them away from the edges of the USPS sorting machines.

IMG_20190726_080058425.jpg

IMG_20190726_080144639.jpg

Paper goes inside a standard envelope. I put a piece of packaging tape over the delivery address so it doesn't get smeared or obliterated. I tape the envelope flap down to make sure it doesn't accidentally get opened. Then I put packaging tape along all four outer edges (overlapping front to back) to reinforce the envelope.

IMG_20190726_080203405.jpg

IMG_20190726_082510886.jpg

Still "bendable"...

IMG_20190726_080707702.jpg

Now, off to the Post Office for a non-machinable, first class stamp.

IMG_20190726_090340243.jpg

70¢ later, two chips are on their way! Haven't lost one chip yet using this method (knock on wood). And FYI, Starbucks uses thinner coffee sleeves, which reduces the overall envelope thickness.

Last edited:
You can use :
https://ship.pirateship.com/
You can print all types of USPS including 1st class, AND "Priority Mail Cubic" pricing, unavailable on PayPal or elsewhere, which is often cheaper than Flat rate boxes or regular Prio, without the need for any special box.
Wanted to bump this to raise awareness of savings over flat rate shipping - I wasn't aware.

Wanted to bump this to raise awareness of savings over flat rate shipping - I wasn't aware.
It’s my new favorite shipping utility. Can print single first class labels for bubble mailers for like $3.69 from home, no need to ever go to usps again

Shipping two singles in the US, but I've used this method for overseas too.

Scissors, coffee sleeve, Scotch tape, packaging tape, #10 envelope, 1 sheet of paper.

View attachment 315191

Cut the coffee sleeve in half. Two staples in each half will keep the chips from moving.

View attachment 315192

View attachment 315193

Trim the excess off the sleeves to reduce the rigidness of the final package. That's sometimes what hangs the USPS up (that it's rigid, not bendable). Tri-fold the sheet of paper and use scotch tape to secure the chips to the center. This avoids them moving around, and keeps them away from the edges of the USPS sorting machines.

View attachment 315194

View attachment 315195

Paper goes inside a standard envelope. I put a piece of packaging tape over the delivery address so it doesn't get smeared or obliterated. I tape the envelope flap down to make sure it doesn't accidentally get opened. Then I put packaging tape along all four outer edges (overlapping front to back) to reinforce the envelope.

View attachment 315196

View attachment 315197

Still "bendable"...

View attachment 315198

Now, off to the Post Office for a non-machinable, first class stamp.

View attachment 315205

70¢ later, two chips are on their way! Haven't lost one chip yet using this method (knock on wood). And FYI, Starbucks uses thinner coffee sleeves, which reduces the overall envelope thickness.
Just paid like 12 bucks shipping sending out a few chips for the first time :( :mad:

You can also put it inside baseball card sleeves, tape it up. First class mail less than 1oz put a stamp on it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom