Best Table Shape/Size for 10x10 Room (6 Viewers)

Venturalvn

Full House
Reaction score
As the title implies, I am currently trying to set up a permanent poker/game room in what is just about a 10'x10' room (a couple inches bigger.)

What shape/size would be the best fit for this for a permanent table setup? We regularly play 6-8 players, and if I need space for 10 I can set up an 8-foot table in the garage. Wondering if 6' hold em is comfortable for 7-8 players, or if I should just focus on a round table for purposes of players going in/out to get drinks, use the bathroom, etc.

A 72x36 table will cover 6-7 players nicely, and still fit 8 in a pinch. Only three extra feet from the walls in a 10x10 room, but you can butt one end against the wall (no chair there) and seat six, or place it diagonally in the room and easily seat 7-8. Easy access with either config.

Must have mostly skinny players, like me. I ocassionally seat 9 plus dealer at our 76" portable table, but don't recommend it for most games or if there are large players. :)

In a perfectly square room, it's a real pity not to have a round table. This room can fit a 60-62in diameter table, good for 8 players (or 9 tight).
Other than taking up more space for a given circumference, the round shape is unbeatable, IMO. And there, you have the space.
For 10 players, bring in the long oval from the garage (a tight fit on its ends though).

In a perfectly square room, it's a real pity not to have a round table. This room can fit a 60-62in diameter table, good for 8 players (or 9 tight).
Other than taking up more space for a given circumference, the round shape is unbeatable, IMO. And there, you have the space.
YES! Or an octagon. Wedging an oval into a 10x10 room doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

60” round.

60inround.jpg

Last edited:
72x36 seems like a fine size, but that 60" round sure is pretty @DoubleEagle! And a round table in a square room feels right geometrically.

The other thing is if its set up full-time I'd want to use the table for board games occasionally as well, which I feel like a hold em table is good for. Anyone have experience playing board games on a round?

Not sure if this is helpful but the attached shows a few different layouts for a 10'x10' room.

Attachments

• 72o_10x10 Room Layout_Venturalvn.pdf
    65.3 KB · Views: 295
If you're using is a lot for board games, I would recommend that you make the surface area as large as possible since many board games take up a lot of space. As blasphemous as this sounds, I would go square. That's IF you plan to use it as much or more for board games than poker. It won't be as good for poker since players would all be sitting side by side but will be more functional as a board game table.

If not square, then an octagon is the next best option for more playing surface area as it has more than the same diameter round if you're measuring from the straight ends of the octagon.

5' octagon with a 3" rail with the newest version of Twilight Imperium which is a notoriously large game.

20171223_190726.jpg

A 60 inch round vote here. Should have about 23.5 inches af rail space per player at 8 deep
Big board games may alter my thinking a bit. But still best of both worlds I think

I'd lean toward round, as well. BUT you need to remeasure once you have whatever furniture, lighting, shelves, electronics, storage, etc. you plan to put in the room, and see how much actual floor space is left before you decide.

If you need space for other table games, the circle can provide you with the most table space for a given circumference.
A square table seating also 8 (2 on each side) with the same total length of 4 sides as the circumference of a 60in diameter circle, offers significantly less table space than the round table.
Round ones are to be avoided only if room space is in shortage. If ok, and you actually need table space, it's a no-brainer.
I 've just done the math but it's in metric. I 'll do it again for you in imperial and post it if needed:)

If you're using is a lot for board games, I would recommend that you make the surface area as large as possible since many board games take up a lot of space. As blasphemous as this sounds, I would go square. That's IF you plan to use it as much or more for board games than poker. It won't be as good for poker since players would all be sitting side by side but will be more functional as a board game table.

If not square, then an octagon is the next best option for more playing surface area as it has more than the same diameter round if you're measuring from the straight ends of the octagon.

5' octagon with a 3" rail with the newest version of Twilight Imperium which is a notoriously large game.

View attachment 191531
Jeebus you're a nerd.

I'd be concerned that a 60" round -- with eight chairs added around it - in a 10x10 room will leave very little free space in the entire room except the four corners. The four people with wall seats may be on the way of anybody needing to move, and lots of jumping out of seats by everybody to reach the middle with a table that big, too.

Better if the room was 12x12, but I don't think I'd go bigger than 54"round/hex in your case, for both reasons.

View attachment 191531
This actually looks like a lot more space than I was thinking for a 5' table. Would you go to a bigger size for a round? Or should I be thinking octagon over round anyways?

I'd lean toward round, as well. BUT you need to remeasure once you have whatever furniture, lighting, shelves, electronics, storage, etc. you plan to put in the room, and see how much actual floor space is left before you decide.
Yeah I definitely want get in to feel it out first (have another couple weeks until we get the keys.) I plan to keep it pretty simple on the walls to save space - a couple posters, and maybe a small TV wall mounted in the corner. I plan to convert the sliding closet in the room to a built-in cabinet and shelving.

I wonder how long an ellipse would have to be, to comfortable sit 5 on each side? I suppose I’m a ten foot room, you could push it to almost 9 feet. Pitching would be a bitch, but that’s another story.

This actually looks like a lot more space than I was thinking for a 5' table. Would you go to a bigger size for a round? Or should I be thinking octagon over round anyways?

Keep in mind that this table has 3" wide rail rather than the typical 5 or 6" rail most poker tables have. They wanted it built specifically for Twilight Imperium so they reduced the width of the rails to increase playing surface space.

I would not go any bigger than 5' across for a round. It's already going to be a bit of a squeeze for player to get in and out of their seats with only 2.5' of space between the table and any wall. It's enough room to be comfortable but if a player on the inside want to get in/out of the room, likely everyone else has to get up to let them in/out.

Same for an octagon, no bigger than 5' across from the straight ends.

If you need space for other table games, the circle can provide you with the most table space for a given circumference.
A square table seating also 8 (2 on each side) with the same total length of 4 sides as the circumference of a 60in diameter circle, offers significantly less table space than the round table.
Round ones are to be avoided only if room space is in shortage. If ok, and you actually need table space, it's a no-brainer.
I 've just done the math but it's in metric. I 'll do it again for you in imperial and post it if needed:)

A round table with a 60" diameter is smaller in both circumference and area than a 60"x60" rectangular table or an octagon that's 60" from the straight sides. A round is the smallest. There's no reason for him to get a square or octagon table with the same circumference as a round when he can get each side 60" across for square or octagon.

@T_Chan Tony, I said by given circumference, or seating width available.
Let's go imperial:
A 60in diameter circle has a 60x3.14= 188.4 circumference or seating width available (ie 23.55in per player for 8 players), and covers 2,827.4 sq in of space
A square of the same seating width available has a side of 188.4/4= 47.1in (2 players per side, always at 23.55in per player) and covers a space of 2,218.4 sq in -same with any rectangular of the same seating capacity.
Ovals are somewhere between the middle and rectangulars.

A square poker table would be very awkward. IMO, round is the best option for your small room.

@T_Chan Tony, I said by given circumference, or seating width available.
Let's go imperial:
A 60in diameter circle has a 60x3.14= 188.4 circumference or seating width available (ie 23.55in per player for 8 players), and covers 2,827.4 sq in of space
A square of the same seating width available has a side of 188.4/4= 47.1in (2 players per side, always at 23.55in per player) and covers a space of 2,218.4 sq in -same with any rectangular of the same seating capacity.
Ovals are somewhere between the middle and rectangulars.

Yes I understood that, but I don't see why you would take the circumference of a 60" round table and then divide it by 4 to make a square. If you can fit a 60" diameter round table in a square room, then you can fit a 60"x60" table in the same room or a 60" diameter octagon.

A square poker table would be very awkward. IMO, round is the best option for your small room.

I only mention square since the OP mentioned board gaming. A round or octagon would be my 1st choice. I agree that a square poker table would take some getting used to.

For 8 players, I believe it would be better than an oval, in just about every way I can imagine.
It wouldn't work so well for 9 or ten.
A round or an octagon would be my choice for this room as well, but lets think about playing at a square before we dismiss it outright, just because we're not used to it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom