Best Size Pelican Case for chip racks (1 Viewer)

My sweet little setup for my 300 chip set.

The case was only $15 from Harbor Freight; they have a store very close to me so I was able to test it out first. Works nicely.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1800-weatherproof-protective-case-9-316-in-64550.html

Question before I start cutting the foam on the Pelican, how does one cut the depth? Are the cubes notched every vertically also or just horizontally?

Question before I start cutting the foam on the Pelican, how does one cut the depth? Are the cubes notched every vertically also or just horizontally?

For the Pelican cases I own, the cubes are aligned vertically (standing), and cutting horizontally was not clean or pretty. Foam pieces everywhere, but I also wasn't using the right knife.

Looking at the instructions it basically just advises to cut out to a certain depth and then if it’s too deep to just cut away from the removed portion and 3M it back inside.

I went with the Pelican 1450 and I like it a lot. It's expensive but oh well. My configuration would hold 800 chips in racks very comfortably. If you pulled out all the foam side to side, probably 1,000. I've got a 600 Dunes chip set plus a 7th "spare" rack with miscellaneous chips, I think around 735 chips total. Also dropped an AirTag in the bottom because why not!? :LOL: :laugh:

Dunes03..jpeg
Dunes07..jpeg
Dunes05..jpeg
Dunes08..jpeg

Ive been looking for a travel case and never thought to use a pelican case. nicely done! where did you buy the foam?

Ive been looking for a travel case and never thought to use a pelican case. nicely done! where did you buy the foam?
It comes with the foam (make sure the box says "WF" on it). There are different configurations like "padded liners, no foam, etc" so just choose the one WF (with foam). I don't think there is an upcharge for it if you get it at purchase but I'm not sure.

The Pelican foam is a pluck version so you don't need a knife or anything. It's basically perforated in small cubes so you just pull out exactly what you want. Very easy.

I think you can get foam from hobby lobby or other places like that. You can order pelican replacement foam but it's cost prohibitive imo (I think mine would be $40-50). Pretty sure you can get some from Hobby Lobby or Amazon for like 20 bucks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom