Best rooms in MSP? (1 Viewer)

dkersey

Straight
Reaction score
I'm flying to MSP for a short biz trip. I see a couple of poker rooms when I use the Google. I will only be able to play 1 night, and I will have a rental car. Any recommendations?

Your 2 options are Running Aces or Canterbury Park. I’ve only played Aces but I believe they both have a decent amount of cash games running. Could use the bravo app to see what’s running at the time you’re in town.

I am a huge Canterbury partisan myself. I haven't been to Running aces in probably 4-5 years. Proximity may be part of it, Forrest (@inca911) lives on the north side and I live on the south.

Could use the bravo app to see what’s running at the time you’re in town.

That's true, both rooms use Bravo.

We don't have straight NL here because of the 100 per bet limit. Closest you will find in either room is 2-100 spread limit.

Otherwise both rooms will have 2-100 spread and low limit 2/4, 3/6. Canterbury has more middle and high limit like 8/16 half kill, 20/40, and usually a 40/80 mix.

Canterbury has more games typically, lower rake on mid- to upper- limits (5% instead of 10%), and smaller promotion rake (1 vs 2), though someone that's been to Aces more recently may correct me if I am wrong.

So if the distance is close I recommend Canterbury. But if Running Aces has your games and is easier to get to, it's fine. (Neither is that easy to reach during rush hour, sadly.)

Hope you enjoy your stay, we are having one last bout of summer this week :).

Last edited:
Always a game going so it fits schedules easy.

That's true, at Canterbury at least there's always 2-100, 3/6, and 8/16 going around the clock usually.

Definitely keep an eye on Bravo, the game selection should be pretty similar between today and tomorrow. Though being Tuesday, Canterbury is running a few more games than usual for "Aces Always Win," such as 2/4 stud.

Last edited:
But I guess on this board, the true question is this Bud Jones, or Chipco?

Bud Jones (Canterbury):
http://themogh.org/cg_chip2.php?id=MNSHCC

Or Chipco (Running Aces):
http://themogh.org/cg_chip2.php?id=MNCORA

First time I’ve seen a $300 chip.
C7751498-BFA2-4C16-A705-DB618304E2B9.jpeg

View attachment 199583

Yeah, I heard they started using these when they added Baccarat to their pit. I guess that's a useful denomination for some reason. I know nothing of Baccarat. It doesn't even look fun, but high rollers love it I guess.

In poker you can have these on the table at 40/80 (played with 10 chips) and up as I understand it.

Aces also has a $300. I don’t see it on the chip guide but it’s oversized orange. Maybe that’s a Minnesota thing to use $300s. I assume the $2 chips are a MN thing too in the spread limit games. I’d rather use $1s and $5s like an NL game.

Aces also has a $300. I don’t see it on the chip guide but it’s oversized orange. Maybe that’s a Minnesota thing to use $300s. I assume the $2 chips are a MN thing too in the spread limit games. I’d rather use $1s and $5s like an NL game.

Bad news. The 2-100 spread game is typically played with 2s instead of 5s. In the few years 2-100 has been popular this is probably a 6 figure mistake in lost rake from counting stacks between the two clubs. The highest chip they allow in these games are 100.

As for the 300 chips they are mostly used in the pit. In poker, they are only used as color up chips in 40/80 (played with 10s) and 50/100 (played with 25s) limit games.

In for 200, out for 411, 412 if you count my collector item :D.

Nice place, stayed for 2 hours, no smoking on floor anywhere so that was super nice, good service, good dealers.

They had a big tournament going, 136 people, part of something called MSPT.

At my table, 2 strong players (1 LAG, 1 TAG), everyone else soft. I never tangled with LAG, maybe intentionally both ways. He moved from 2 to my right to my immediate left late in session, grrr. I doubled up and left. I have another all day session for work tomorrow that I have to be sharp for so I left.

Hopefully I will be coming back to MSP more frequently with this project. If so, I'll be coming back to Canterbury.

Cheers!

They had a big tournament going, 136 people, part of something called MSPT.

Mid stakes poker tour. They are one of the circuits that come through and put on an $1100 "main event."

If you are back in October, the first two weeks or so are the "Fall Poker Classic" which is the biggest series of the year :).

Last edited:
Yes. There are 1s, 2s, and 5s. The primary chip are 2s. The blinds are 1/2. So why are there 2s and why is it the primary chip?

I guess because they saw this game as similar in stake to 6/12 or 8/16 limit which also use 2s. But if I buy into that game I only ask for 20 in 2s and the rest in 5s, some other players do that too. It would be a faster game if they did it that way.

It would be a faster game if they did it that way.

Agree. Too many times I saw people reaching for large stacks of 2s when making a large bet, like stacking 20 2s to make a $40 bet. Or when making a bet like 10, they would reach for 5 2s instead of 2 5s.

If the blinds were 2/2 and only even number bets allowed, I would get it. Otherwise the 2 chip is totally unneeded...yet it's the primary chip used!

Glad you had a good experience, the limit generally throws people for a bit of a loop with bet sizing!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom