Best progressive spot schemes (1 Viewer)

Taghkanic

4 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
For those that care about progressive spots... What sets do people think have the most effective edgespot progressions?

Some possible nominees:

• Various Boat sets (Empress/Aurora)
• Jack Detroit v1/v2
• Protegés
• PCR v1 / WTH&Cs
• PCR v2

What else?

[Note: Images swiped from TCR, @justincarothers, @Ischie , @ReallyGoodUsername et al. Will remove upon request]

1615559549838.png1615559578052.png1615559840030.png1615559927580.png1615560081756.png1615560145723.png1615560295601.png

Isles have an OK progression, but the inlay design is so distracting it’s hard to appreciate:

1615560958747.png

WTHC repeats spots. I’ve never liked it and never understood it. I know spot progression is kind of a made up thing, but I feel like the Paulson fantasy sets have always been a big fail, progressionwise.

WTHC repeats spots. I’ve never liked it and never understood it. I know spot progression is kind of a made up thing, but I feel like the Paulson fantasy sets have always been a big fail, progressionwise.

Does it repeat with anything but the v1 5 and 500? Not often going to be in play together. My v2 cash set has a pretty sweet progression with no duplication.

SB cash works really well... Not sure why progression stopped with the higher denoms (not pictured). Image @The_dude

View attachment 654505
??? Evidently I don’t get it. These are pretty chips. But they look like you took the brightest color chips from 6 different sets and relabeled them into one set because you liked the colors. I can’t find cohesiveness here at all.

Re: Cohesiveness: Isn’t part of the point of spot progression to differentiate chips, not tie them together? I get it if the colors are just completely random and weird, but I like that SB set (relabel or no) and think it is pretty cohesive. For example, there is a common blue base or spot color on 4 out of the 6 denoms... Various shades of pink on 3 of them... Yellow on 3... White on 3...

The HSI Indiana lineups mixed patterns pretty thoroughly. Not crazy about some of the color choices, but someone was at least paying attention in the design to mix things up. (Not so much on the inlay sizes.)

HSI-chart2.jpg

Re: Cohesiveness: Isn’t part of the point of spot progression to differentiate chips, not tie them together? I get it if the colors are just completely random and weird, but I like that SB set (relabel or no) and think it is pretty cohesive. For example, there is a common blue base or spot color on 4 out of the 6 denoms... Various shades of pink on 3 of them... Yellow on 3... White on 3...
Lol, some of them have something in common. I agree, the first one is round, the second one is round..... sure there are bits here and there, but nothing that speaks to me about an overall progression. Nothing to argue over, I just don’t see it but you do and enjoy it.

@monkeydog Does spot progression always imply increased complexity from low to high?

I suppose one might interpret the word literally to mean that... or maybe that was the original meaning. But there are very few sets which progress like that, at least that I can think of.

I have mostly seen “progressive” used here to denote variation from chip-to-chip, across the whole set. You might have a higher denom with a less complex spot than a lower one.

(If not, what is your term for a varied spot scheme that does not go from low to high complexity?)

Does progression always imply increased complexity? I suppose literally so, or maybe that was the original meaning, but there are very few sets which do this that I can think of. I have mostly seen it used here to denote variation from chip-to-chip, with some higher denoms sometimes being less complex than lower ones.
I think it means the same as dibs

These LCOs manage to duplicate some patterns, without seeming duplicative, because of the relative weights of the base and edge colors. The $1s for example don’t look at all like the 5s because the black spot is so dominant. Note: Pic I believe was from @Eriks

1615563358189.png

Last edited:
Lol, some of them have something in common. I agree, the first one is round, the second one is round..... sure there are bits here and there, but nothing that speaks to me about an overall progression. Nothing to argue over, I just don’t see it but you do and enjoy it.

Example of a set with progressive spots that you consider cohesive?

I recall seeing a Paris cash set where the spot sizes were all the same, but the number of spots increased from small to large.

The result imho was elegant, from the standpoint of purity/simplicity, but the overall effect was kind of confusing. I tend to prefer a variety of spot shapes/sizes. When stacked (as opposed to looking at the faces), the differences can kind of collapse visually.

look at the post above yours. Not perfect but works for me. A couple of others as well above.

I like your custom set, but color-wise it does not seem any more or less cohesive than the SBs. You’ve used a fair amount of blue in the three lower denoms; not much overlaps in the three higher ones, except two with some pale green. Your cohesion seems to come from using similar size spots in different patterns. Which works for me on their faces, but I wonder what they look like stacked...

Progression is made up (@BGinGA), but we all have different tastes. I'd say everyone has their own eye for what flows best to them.

I personally like simple or no spots to start and getting more complex as you go a long. I could never have an 8v frac, but the sets that do are still cool to me.

If we are just talking about a set that is cohesive (I think this is what I mean by flow in a sense) then I like to use colors from other chips in the set along the way as long as it's not extreme and likely to result in really bad dirty stacks in play.

But there are lots of ways to obtain flow imo

kCMgOJ2.jpg

Here’s that very pretty Paris set I mentioned above, with various “18” (?) spots. Is this a partial inlay replacement set to match the $1s?

Anyway... Not sure why they didn’t go with 218 or 318 on the lowest denom, but the rest increase as you go along, until the $100 chip.

As I already said, this is a very elegant approach, but possibly confusing from a usability standpoint... The base colors are doing almost all the work here. Works as long as you’re not colorblind! [Photo: @BonScot I believe]

1615564233055.png

I recall seeing a Paris cash set where the spot sizes were all the same, but the number of spots increased from small to large.

The result imho was elegant, from the standpoint of purity/simplicity, but the overall effect was kind of confusing. I tend to prefer a variety of spot shapes/sizes. When stacked (as opposed to looking at the faces), the differences can kind of collapse visually.
I think @BonScot 's Paris set has this progression, maybe?

EDIT - I took way too long typing that super short message and you already found it :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Progression is made up (@BGinGA), but we all have different tastes. I'd say everyone has their own eye for what flows best to them.

I personally like simple or no spots to start and getting more complex as you go a long. I could never have an 8v frac, but the sets that do are still cool to me.

If we are just talking about a set that is cohesive (I think this is what I mean by flow in a sense) then I like to use colors from other chips in the set along the way as long as it's not extreme and likely to result in really bad dirty stacks in play.

But there are lots of ways to obtain flow imo

kCMgOJ2.jpg
Jesus! Look at the colors :love:

Does it repeat with anything but the v1 5 and 500? Not often going to be in play together. My v2 cash set has a pretty sweet progression with no duplication.
It repeats every 4th chip. So yeah, any T5 tournament I play, I’m gonna want t500 chips. T25, yes, I’d want T1ks.
SB cash works really well... Not sure why progression stopped with the higher denoms (not pictured). Image @The_dude

View attachment 654505
We have different ideas of progression, because that 8v frac is not the most humble chip of the bunch.
But again, progression is very subjective.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom