Best Omaha book for an idiot (1 Viewer)

Jeff Hwang’s book is a great start

View attachment 453759

I hate to let the cat out of the bag, but inca is giving you the right answer here.

I bought that as part of my limit crusade based on a recommendation someone on here gave me.

With Omaha I’m trying to gain a better understanding of High before moving on to 8.

Yeah I think mastering hi first is the way to learn the games. When you start working on hi-lo, you are really looking for only elite hi-only holdings.

Jeff Hwang's book is free on Kindle for Amazon Prime members. I prefer hard copy so I bought a used one for like $7 total.

View attachment 453839

Aww man, I paid like $10 for mine last year :p.

Last edited:
I’m 3 pages into the book only to realize that I’m one of the “inexperienced (or poor) players” that he mentions. I’m probably going to see an asston of examples of my bad play in the book where he basically says “do not do this stupid stuff”.

I’m 3 pages into the book only to realize that I’m one of the “inexperienced (or poor) players” that he mentions. I’m probably going to see an asston of examples of my bad play in the book where he basically says “do not do this stupid stuff”.
Yup. Know that feeling :LOL: :laugh:

Seconding (or fourthing, whatever we’re up to) the Hwang and Scoop series. Excellent starting guides and actually good to go back and read both periodically if you have a few suboptimal sessions.

Wanna try real? Come on FS platform. No money just points, happy to practice.

If you read this book, you are going to play TIGHT. But it is a good start.
^ So true. I had only played PLO for 25c/50c stakes, but I read Hwang's book before the first few times I ever played 1/2 PLO, typically with a group of 5 to 9 players, and after playing several times, I remember thinking:
  1. One of the first times I played, I got dealt practically none of the premium hands Hwang talks about in his book.
  2. It finally happens, you get dealt a premium hand like AKJT, double suited, you pot or re-pot it preflop, then the flop comes 467 with a flush draw in a suit you don't even have. Yuck.
  3. One night I had a particularly good (winning) session, but almost all of the hands I won big pots with were hands Hwang said I should have folded preflop. So much for the book.
But the game can play differently if there are 6 players, 7, 8, or 9. Once you're comfortable with PLO, you can loosen up your range the fewer the players there are versus what the book recommends. Against a full table of 9-10 players, it's probably wise to tighten your starting hand selection.

I feel like I’ve just been sent on a quest... :LOL: :laugh:
I think Matusow is a lovable idiot who has better natural card playing skills than just about anybody.
5 chapters in today. Gonna reread this after I finish
I only got through 3 chapters, but that was still enough to get me second in Mike's tournament. Imagine what will happen if I finish the book?
In all seriousness, so far, it's mostly stuff I've figured out on my own, in limited playing over a couple of years. But when those concepts are actually put into words, with examples, it definitely helps.

I think Matusow is a lovable idiot who has better natural card playing skills than just about anybody.
I only got through 3 chapters, but that was still enough to get me second in Mike's tournament. Imagine what will happen if I finish the book?
In all seriousness, so far, it's mostly stuff I've figured out on my own, in limited playing over a couple of years. But when those concepts are actually put into words, with examples, it definitely helps.
I’ve been folding KQJT for the longest! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

^ So true. I had only played PLO for 25c/50c stakes, but I read Hwang's book before the first few times I ever played 1/2 PLO, typically with a group of 5 to 9 players, and after playing several times, I remember thinking:
  1. One of the first times I played, I got dealt practically none of the premium hands Hwang talks about in his book.
  2. It finally happens, you get dealt a premium hand like AKJT, double suited, you pot or re-pot it preflop, then the flop comes 467 with a flush draw in a suit you don't even have. Yuck.
  3. One night I had a particularly good (winning) session, but almost all of the hands I won big pots with were hands Hwang said I should have folded preflop. So much for the book.
But the game can play differently if there are 6 players, 7, 8, or 9. Once you're comfortable with PLO, you can loosen up your range the fewer the players there are versus what the book recommends. Against a full table of 9-10 players, it's probably wise to tighten your starting hand selection.

They used to say this about NLHE, but I have come to accept that PLO truly is the game of "two hours of boredom followed by two minutes of pure terror."

Just so you are aware, Scoop! is all about split pot games (O8 and BigO8). It contains nothing about hi only games.

It is a well done book though, imo.

Looks like there is a volume II out for SCOOP now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom