Best / Fastest Way to Remove Label Residue? (1 Viewer)

justsomedude

Straight Flush
Reaction score
I've read the threads about GooGone and have also used De-Solv-It, but this is a painstaking and arduous process to clean chips one by one.

Am I missing a trick here? Is there a faster way to remove the sticky residue left behind when you peel off a label?

If you are referring to a gear label removed from an existing inlay, it sucks, but I find that rubbing it with my hands and tissue afterwards works well.

It seems to be quicker rubbing it off “dry” rather than using cleaning agents and getting it wet.

Sure, if you pay me for it :)

What's the plan after the labels are removed? If it's new labels, I might not bother removing the residue. If it's keeping the chips in their original condition, OK.

I use 91% Isopropyl alcohol. There is no quick method (ie: like ultrasound cleaning to do chips in bulk). It is a tedious process as you need to avoid the edges of the chips due to the fact it could discolor some clay colors. Be sure to test before diving in (ymmv). It evaporates quickly and doesn't take much dabbed on a rag to do the job though, just time consuming.

I use 91% Isopropyl alcohol. There is no quick method (ie: like ultrasound cleaning to do chips in bulk). It is a tedious process as you need to avoid the edges of the chips due to the fact it could discolor some clay colors. Be sure to test before diving in (ymmv). It evaporates quickly and doesn't take much dabbed on a rag to do the job though, just time consuming.

That's kind of what I figured. Ugh. Ok... I just need to block out the time to do this.

Slow and steady wins the race. :p

I haven’t tried removing label residue yet. But I have lightly cleaned my chips with dawn dish soap and a soft bristle tooth brush. It actually did surprisingly well! Good luck!

What's the plan after the labels are removed? If it's new labels, I might not bother removing the residue. If it's keeping the chips in their original condition, OK.
So if replacing labels with new @Gear labels, no need to remove the old label residue? Wont it cause bumps under the label?

Thanks
Grant

So if replacing labels with new @Gear labels, no need to remove the old label residue? Wont it cause bumps under the label?

Possibly, but it's generally pretty thin. It depends on what kind of label you're putting over it. (Hence my question.)

Possibly, but it's generally pretty thin. It depends on what kind of label you're putting over it. (Hence my question.)

Maybe you would consider making labels that are easier to remove, when the time comes?

Lol, and here I thought label-removal service was a good fit with your inlay removal/replacement business. Make 'em hard to get off to boost sales!

You make it sound like I'm deliberately making them difficult to remove. Which of course I am not.

Of course I have no idea if you have any options when it’s comes to what adhesive is used on the back of your labels ;). I just thought maybe you chose the strongest glue.

I can’t recommend it. Result: bubbles.

:confused:eek:_O

View attachment 190372
XVZ9ghr.jpg

;)

I have some BCC hot stamps with label residue on a handful of the chips. Any idea if the alcohol will damage the chip and/or hotstamp? I'm assuming it would, and the best approach is something like Dawn in lukewarm water.

I have some BCC hot stamps with label residue on a handful of the chips. Any idea if the alcohol will damage the chip and/or hotstamp? I'm assuming it would, and the best approach is something like Dawn in lukewarm water.

I would imagine that it might damage the hot stamp (I don't know for sure as I've never tried it on a HS) at the least probably discolor it. I would test it on a sacrificial HS chip first before proceeding.

Isopropyl rubbing alcohol and a rag take it off pretty quickly in my experience, don’t be afraid to use a lot of alcohol, it shouldn’t* affect the clay unless you’re soaking them in it overnight.

*not liable for damage.

Well, I came hear hoping for good news... Looks like it’s just elbow grease and goo gone then.. It took almost two hours of hard scrubbing to get the first out of 5+ racks done :(

Seems like the only *trick* is finding a good Netflix series...

After you peel the label off, cover the remaining paper & sticky residue that are left behind with petroleum jelly. Let it soak overnight. It comes up much easier the next day.

Also, get yourself a flat exacto knife scraper blade if you don't have one already.

I was able to get the plastic layer and the top of the paper layer off easily enough.

The paper residue below is pretty stubborn. I tried putting a gear smooth laminate label over this and it’s not too shabby.

A5708297-3E39-4DAD-B065-841AE48521B4.jpeg

I would be careful with goo-gone, it dissolved some of my chips. I stopped using it. I use non acetone nail polish remover. Works fine. But it is a process and the glue boogies stick to everything.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom