Best CPC spot pattern for an entire tourney set. (1 Viewer)

Marhault

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
So the longer I wait for my cash set the less patient I become with wanting to finalize my tournament set and have things completely ready when my preferred mold comes closer to rotation.

I feel like my cash set has a very nice spot progression, that was something I wanted without a doubt on that set, but on my tournament set I'm thinking of possibly just using one spot pattern on all the chips. This is for several reasons, one is to help flatten the cost since my set is going to need to be large (our tourneys can have up to 40 or so people), another is I've seen some wonderful sets that just use one spot pattern throughout and with my cash already having progressive spot patterns I wanted to give it a go. I also think having a set spot pattern almost forces you to be more inventive with colors and combos to make your set really stand out.

What I'd like to hear from you guys that are much more knowledgeable than I am is what CPC spot pattern do you think lends itself best for an entire set?

I have a few I'm leaning towards but no mocks to share just yet. They are 3D14, 312, possibly the 4A12 or 412, 4D14, then of course some of my favorite sets are on the 614 and 814.

This is just some of the favorites I've been playing with, I'd like to know what some of the other favorites are, or maybe what a consensus might be or as close to one as we can come.

I have a few I'm leaning towards but no mocks to share just yet. They are 3D14, 312, possibly the 4A12 or 412, 4D14, then of course some of my favorite sets are on the 614 and 814.

From a chip quality perspective, I think you'd be fine with any of these choices. I think CPC does an awesome job on 1/2" and 1/4" spots. It's when spots get narrower than 1/4" that I think things get a little wild. That, and tri-moons.

Of all the chips I ordered in my large CPC set...my 1/4" spots were the best. Just yesterday, I ordered another CPC set, and all spots are 1/4". :)

I personally love LOVE the 3D14 (or 4D14). That would be my choice.

Wouldn't it be more fun to post a pic in addition to the codes?
I know, I know most of you have been long enough out of the matrix...
i-dont-even-see-the-code-anymore.jpg

3 spot chips are my favorite. I would go with 3d14 or 3ds316. 1 color tri-moon would also be a consideration, but split spots could be a concern.

I’d avoid 312 as it is hard to do an entire set in that pattern and not have some dirty stack issues because of how large the spots are.

Yeah it sounds like I was in the same place as you. I ordered my cash set, which is more important as we typically play cash, but we do play tournaments as well and I was going to take a bit more time with my tournament set. I personally prefer tournament sets with the same spot pattern. However, when using all one pattern you need to make sure the pattern isn’t too complex or too many large spots or two many colors otherswise it turns into visual throw up.

My favorite spot is 3TA16 but I just couldn’t make it work. It just turned into a jumble of colors. 314318 or 414418 would work great but the price was more than I wanted to stomach. So I was strongly considering 3D14, 4D14, 1/4Pie, and 614. I made lots of mock-ups of 1/4Pie and 614 but ultimately landed on 614. Although TrMiin and 1/4Pie also make great tournament sets IMO.

I think the most bang for the buck is 4DS16+. Base plus 2 edge spot colors is only level 4 price tier.

I think with using the same pattern smaller spots are better. More base color showing is important.

and I don’t need much of an excuse to create a mock up! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 769652

I think it’s absolutely imperative when using all the same spots that you need to do one or more of the following;
  • Small spots,
  • Few spots,
  • Simple patterns; or
  • Monochrome-ish colors
Otherwise it becomes way to confusing to the eye to differentiate.

I'm partial towards 3D14, 4D14, 614, 6D18, 314318, myself.

312 or 3D14 all the way, baby

Save the complicated patterns for a set where each chip is different. If all chips are using the same pattern then make it big, bold, and simple.

I think the most bang for the buck is 4DS16+. Base plus 2 edge spot colors is only level 4 price tier.
^This!^

For me it'd be:

3DS316 > 4DS316 > 6D18 (pricey!) > 614 > 3D14

Buuuuuuuut I will say that I personally much prefer varied edge spots, even on tourney sets. The only tourney set I've seriously considered doing with all the same spots would be a 44mm 4DSA18, just because of how limited the 44mm spot patterns are.

Last edited:
Just caught up on this post! I put it up and proceeded to work back to back doubles! A lot of good suggestions.

So do you guys think that mold would have any meaningful impact on running all the same spot pattern?

I really like a progressive spot pattern I just worry that it might be pretty expensive on a set of the size I'm looking at and it might be difficult doing it well and being original with a set that will cover 25/100/500/1000/5000/25k. I'm not saying it's impossible just difficult.

I think having the same spot pattern on a set helps them look like they belong together. Here's one I put together with that in mind, with spot colors chosen to help prevent dirty stack issues (a common problem in our game as myself and at least one other frequent player are colorblind).

CPC Set.png

So do you guys think that mold would have any meaningful impact on running all the same spot pattern?

I really like a progressive spot pattern I just worry that it might be pretty expensive on a set of the size I'm looking at and it might be difficult doing it well and being original with a set that will cover 25/100/500/1000/5000/25k. I'm not saying it's impossible just difficult.
Mold choice shouldn't have an impact on uniform spot choices, although some might work/look better than others (those molds with a uniform pattern throughout like CSQ or HHR, vs A-, B-, or H-mold).

I have built several 6-chip spot progression designs. Typically the upper end chips get pretty pricey, but luckily, not many are needed.

Personally, I think sets with just one (or two) spot patterns work much better for tournament use. Patterns with large amounts of base chip color showing through work best imo. My favorites include 618, 6d18, and 818 (with the double spots split or not) and 1/4-pies if done properly.

The Hitching Post's set uses a 2W pattern that is complex yet still simple and works really well.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom