Beginner advice (1 Viewer)

cgpilot

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to order my first set soon... my budget is around $250 and I'm looking to get around 500 chips. I've ordered a few samples. Anyone have any recommendations for that price range? Thanks!

EDIT: Just saw what you said on the China clay opinion thread lol :)

Take my advice with a grain of salt as I'm also new to PCF (and still looking to purchase my first set!!), but it seems that your budget and desired chip count lends itself to purchasing some form of China Clay chip.
Apachepokerchips is a pretty good place to look. The consensus seems to be Majestics/Royals are the better options.
If you're willing to spend a little more ($50 - $100), which is roughly $0.10 to $0.20 more per chip, then you can also look for some ceramics. Brpropoker and ABCgiftsandawards have some highly recommended ceramics per PCF (Tiki kings, Dia De los Muertos, etc).
Personally, I'm thinking about purchasing a Majestics set soon, FWIW.

Looking to order my first set soon... my budget is around $250 and I'm looking to get around 500 chips. I've ordered a few samples. Anyone have any recommendations for that price range? Thanks!
I recommend you wait for the samples. Try them out. Get a handle on what you want as opposed to trying to fill a budgetary need. I know you need to watch the budget, but figure out for sure what will make you happy.

What are you planning to host, Tournament or Cash games? Do you plan to run both with 1 set? This is precarious. So plan wisely.

Your budget is pretty good. With just a little more, you can almost enter used Paulson world. I got a used HS Cleveland set, which I considered to be a budget cash set of Paulsons for around $480. I know that's double your budget, but you may consider saving up a bit extra to make the jump. You wouldn't regret it.

What kind of samples have ya ordered? Gosh, in about 1 months time, I'll be doing a series of giveaways which will include many CC sample sets, cut cards and DBs, and even a Paulsons sample set. I know 1 month is a long wait, but if you aren't in a rush, and wait it out, you may be able to win some of my (as of yet unplanned) giveaway contests.:tup::)

Welcome to the forum friend. My name is Nav, and I'm here to help in any way I can.

Upcoming chip room sale. Real paulson chips. use a hobby knife and a bit of elbow grease and you can relabel these into a custom set for pretty cheap:
$5 Chips - $.59/chip (Limit 200 chips per household)
$25 Chips - $.59/chip (Limit 400 chips per household)
$50 Chips - $.49/chip (Limit 800 chips per household)

If you needed a 4th color for a different denomination these from the chip exchange:
HORSESHOE CINCINNATI - WHITE/BLUE $1s - USED..........$0.69 EACH

Might have to shake a few couch cushions for a little extra dough, but the step up is worth it

I recommend you wait for the samples. Try them out. Get a handle on what you want as opposed to trying to fill a budgetary need. I know you need to watch the budget, but figure out for sure what will make you happy.

What are you planning to host, Tournament or Cash games? Do you plan to run both with 1 set? This is precarious. So plan wisely.

Your budget is pretty good. With just a little more, you can almost enter used Paulson world. I got a used HS Cleveland set, which I considered to be a budget cash set of Paulsons for around $480. I know that's double your budget, but you may consider saving up a bit extra to make the jump. You wouldn't regret it.

What kind of samples have ya ordered? Gosh, in about 1 months time, I'll be doing a series of giveaways which will include many CC sample sets, cut cards and DBs, and even a Paulsons sample set. I know 1 month is a long wait, but if you aren't in a rush, and wait it out, you may be able to win some of my (as of yet unplanned) giveaway contests.:tup::)

Welcome to the forum friend. My name is Nav, and I'm here to help in any way I can.

@Jeevansluck Thank you for the welcome!

I play a Tournament game with a group of guys (8) about once a month with a one time $20 buy in. Only need 1 set, and I'm not in a huge rush. I do want to collect a few sets but that is going to take some time.

I do however play with my kids fairly often. We play various card games and have a cheap chip set that we use as a reward for winning hands/games. They have fun doing that, and I'd rather do that than play Candyland. I was drawn to the Tiki Kings because they are bright and colorful and I think my kids would like that. Also, I think they would pass for the tournament games I host.

I ordered Tiki Kings, Majestics, Scrolls, and Milanos. :) @Beakertwang I'll add some Royals to the list to give them a shot, thanks!

Since you play tournaments, you really don’t need 500 chips for a single table game. Let’s say you start with a typical T25 base, and starting stacks of T10000. Everyone gets:
25 x 8
100 x 8
500 x 4
1000 x 7

Adding extra 1000’s for colorups and 5000’s for later color ups, rebuys, or an occasional deepstack game, you can make this work for 10 players:
T25 x 80
T100 x 80
T500 x 40
T1000 x 80
T5000 x 20

That’s 300 chips, which gets you close to $1/chip. You can get some ASM/CPC, BCC, or even some Paulson sets for that price.

Or do 12/12/5/6 per player, which is 120/120/50/80/30 for 400 chips.

The point is, getting the most efficient breakdown will either save you money, or allow you to get better chips.

Since you play tournaments, you really don’t need 500 chips for a single table game. Let’s say you start with a typical T25 base, and starting stacks of T10000. Everyone gets:
25 x 8
100 x 8
500 x 4
1000 x 7

Adding extra 1000’s for colorups and 5000’s for later color ups, rebuys, or an occasional deepstack game, you can make this work for 10 players:
T25 x 80
T100 x 80
T500 x 40
T1000 x 80
T5000 x 20

That’s 300 chips, which gets you close to $1/chip. You can get some ASM/CPC, BCC, or even some Paulson sets for that price.

The point is, getting the most efficient breakdown will either save you money, or allow you to get better chips.

Good point! I’ll have to look up ASM/CPC or BCC. To be honest, I’m not sure what they are. But that’s why I’m here. I wanted to ask because I really don’t know what my options are at that price point.

Good point! I’ll have to look up ASM/CPC or BCC. To be honest, I’m not sure what they are. But that’s why I’m here. I wanted to ask because I really don’t know what my options are at that price point.
They’re compressed clay chips (real clay like paulsons) from companies that no longer exist.

American Standard Molding, which is now Classic Poker Chips, owned by PCF member @David Spragg. They’re the only company in the world that offers compressed clay chips to the home market. You can find some great deals on used sets.

BCC is the Blue Chip Company, now defunct. They made some amazing clay chips, some of which will pop up in the classifieds from time to time.

Definitely give CPC the benefit of a sampling. If you are sampling CCs and Paulsons, you must handle CPCs too. I like the CSQ mould, but to each their own. I've handled all the CPC moulds except "Elephant Crown".

Personally, I own multiple sets of China Clays (desert palms and Milanos). I also have many Paulsons and of course, I have a CPC set and they are awesome fu$#ing chips mate!

25 x 8
100 x 8
500 x 4
1000 x 7

T25 x 80
T100 x 80
T500 x 40
T1000 x 80
T5000 x 20

That's a nice breakdown !

Also, if he goes for the T100 base option, he can get 10 chips of the lowest denom per player which is best than 8 for a STT game imho.
100 x T100
60 x T500
110 x T1000
40 x T5000

--> total = 310 chips

This includes 1 x T5000 per player to color-up the T100 and T500.

Covers T30,000 on starting blinds 100/100 with breakdown 10/6/11/3.

He can also go for exactly 300 chips with T5 based set :
100 x T5
100 x T25
75 x T100 (incl. 5 to color up the T5)
15 x T500 (incl. 5 to color up the T25)

--> total 300 chips

So few options for tiny 300ish STT (freezeout) sets.

Definitely give CPC the benefit of a sampling. If you are sampling CCs and Paulsons, you must handle CPCs too. I like the CSQ mould, but to each their own. I've handled all the CPC moulds except "Elephant Crown".

Personally, I own multiple sets of China Clays (desert palms and Milanos). I also have many Paulsons and of course, I have a CPC set and they are awesome fu$#ing chips mate!

@Jeevansluck I ordered some CPCs today for sampling. Thanks for the advice!

On a $250 budget I would...
1) Investigate some of the above mentioned deals. $0.69/chip for Paulsons really is a once-in-a-lifetime deal.
2) If/when that doesn't pan out, I'd go with some Milanos.

But to echo everybody else: get samples.

Most people think they need 500-1000 chips. Most people likely don't need 500-1000 chips. Once you've set your budget, determine the stakes you play and the number of people playing it, and then calculate an efficient breakdown (especially if it's a single table tournament). You can sometimes get significantly better quality chips if you only have to buy 300-and-change rather than 500-1000 of them.

Most people think they need 500-1000 chips. Most people likely don't need 500-1000 chips. Once you've set your budget, determine the stakes you play and the number of people playing it, and then calculate an efficient breakdown (especially if it's a single table tournament). You can sometimes get significantly better quality chips if you only have to buy 300-and-change rather than 500-1000 of them.

Yeah we just run a single table tournament, and it sounds like I might not need as many chips as I thought I needed. We play and have a good time, but I wouldn't say its all that organized. I am in the market though! I've ordered about 6 samples sets and am enjoying seeing different kinds and quality of chips.

A tried-and-true T10K tourney with 10 players using 8/8/4/7 starting stacks uses 270 chips. Add a few extras for losses/damage/colour ups, and as many T5K as you need for rebuys/top-ups, and you're probably just a bit over 300 chips.

Honestly, at your budget and your chip needs you can get 350 ceramics from brpropoker for just under $250 - and that is before the 15% off code. I just got my semi-custom chips from them and I can personally testify to the ridiculous high quality standards Gene and Kristil hold themselves to. It will be well worth it to you.

Honestly, at your budget and your chip needs you can get 350 ceramics from brpropoker for just under $250 - and that is before the 15% off code. I just got my semi-custom chips from them and I can personally testify to the ridiculous high quality standards Gene and Kristil hold themselves to. It will be well worth it to you.
I’ve been eyeing the Tiki Kings. My favorite reasonably priced set I’ve seen so far. I’ve got another sample set on the way, but after it comes in the mail I will be ready to pick something out.

400 Tikis would make an outstanding single-table tournament set, and should be obtainable with your $250 budget:

120 x T25
120 x T100
50 x T500
75 x T1000
35 x T5000

Allows for ten 12/12/5/6 starting stacks of T10000 chips, with extra T1000 and T5000 chips for color-ups, re-buys, and/or larger starting stacks up to T25000.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom