Barreling into Splashy Drunk? (1 Viewer)

kmccormick100

Straight Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
1/2/3 $135 effective V1, $250 effective V2, I cover

I straddle to $6 UTG, 5 callers I check T♣ 8♣

Flop Q92 rainbow, checks to splashy drunk player on button who bets $3 (has min bet a couple times at this point). I xR to $25 with a gutter and backdoor equity trying to get heads up with the spewy drunk or take it down.

LoJack V1 calls $25, button V2 calls

Turn 6♦, what do we do?

Two showing willingness to call a hefty sum.... They may perceive a checked turn as weakness but I think at least one will call if you continuation bet.

You’re OoP and likely behind whoever calls you.

I check.

The preflight and flop are worthy of discussion. Splashy drunk players are often stupid, sticky. Why does hero want to isolate with a gutter ball draw ?

Check pre-flop is good. But just call the min-bet and draw cheap.

Maybe a blocking bet is in order? Checking is ok too. Hero is sandwiched between a LoJack who is drawing and a button who isn’t folding. Hero has something like 20 percent equity.

Check the turn and call any small bets if splashy stays in. Pot sized bet on river if you hit.

The preflight and flop are worthy of discussion. Splashy drunk players are often stupid, sticky. Why does hero want to isolate with a gutter ball draw ?

Check pre-flop is good. But just call the min-bet and draw cheap.

Maybe a blocking bet is in order? Checking is ok too. Hero is sandwiched between a LoJack who is drawing and a button who isn’t folding. Hero has something like 20 percent equity.
I figured I could either take down a decent bit of dead money, or realize some equity against spashy’s ATC range.

When turning the double gutter, I think I need to either check and hope to see a free river with a decent draw or bet big to try and get a fold. I actually chose the uncommon for me “blocker bet line” and bet $30 hoping to see a relatively cheap river. Both villains tank call.

River :3s:, V1 has approx $90 left and V2 $180. Pot is $195. Now what?

Last edited:
If you think you can get your bluff through more than 1/2 times you pot it.

I'm not sure about Spalshy. some of them call until they have no more draws left (then fold on river) , others have the "in for a penny in for a pound mentality". He really is the key, so if you have any kind of read on him at all about how he has played previous hands (i.e. have you seen him call 2 streets and fold river more than once) then make your play off that info.

without any other reads, I doubt you are getting your bet through here often enough to make this a profitable bluff so I check/fold and wait for a better opportunity.

Last edited:
Gutshot improves to an open-ender, and wow, one side is even to the nuts. Lovely. Now your hand might actually be worth playing, but it's still a so-so draw with only one card to come. Check the turn and hope no one bets, just like you should have done on the flop. Intend to maybe call a bet, depending on the size and context. (BTW, is the board still rainbow? That matters.)

Preflop, we can ignore for now the question of whether straddling is advisable in this situation. At least you didn't raise.

On the flop, why check-raise? You can see that button is a splashy drunk, so you have little to no fold equity; you may as well have called off the $25. But your hand is super-weak, just a gutshot with no overcards (and the fact that you had to even mention backdoor potential should tell you how weak it is).

You don't want to isolate loose, sticky villains unless you actually have them beaten. Isolating them while you're holding 10-high and a gutshot is basically a donation to them.

Yeah, I’m check/out. If Splashy is how you described, you’re getting called with any piece of the board. Plus, the 10 in your hand blocks some of the junk he might have floated with. And if he had stuck around with a bottom pair deuce, that improved so he won’t be folding that. Is your man folding QJ/QT or A9/K9, 79 - J9? If the answer is no to all of those, then I don’t see what you can bluff at here.

Where's the ending to this story?? ;)
River 3♠ total brick. V1 has ~ $80 left and V2 ~ $190. I have no showdown value, but I don’t think either player is ever folding a Queen to any sized bet. Mistake number 2 of the hand, I check.

I believe this should be a bet of $80-100 to fold out any hand under a Queen. Instead it checks through and V1 wins with 9♠ 5♠, V2 shows A2xx.

Last edited:
Am I missing something, how does V1 win? V2 has three 2's with A kicker?
My opinon, at the turn is were you could have checked and let someone do the betting, maybe see a free card, maybe someone bets 10 and you get in cheep.. Could it be, that one of them would have raised you and put you in a tough position?

Am I missing something, how does V1 win? V2 has three 2's with A kicker?
My opinon, at the turn is were you could have checked and let someone do the betting, maybe see a free card, maybe someone bets 10 and you get in cheep.. Could it be, that one of them would have raised you and put you in a tough position?
Typo, V1 Had a pair of 9s

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom