Banksy's Panda (1 Viewer)

IIGutsII

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hi, I'm here to share my current project with you.
Initially, I was hesitating to order a custom set from Sun-Fly, then I finally jumped at a great opportunity to buy/relabel Matsui poker chips.
For the relabel, here is my design... I hesitate for the moment between two types of options: 1) with or without the text "Make a difference" and 2) with a simple black or metallic one. Don't be too formal about the rendering in metallic black, I did it in Illustrator to give an idea, but in practice I think of a "vinyl" aspect, "a little mirror", vs a simple "matte" black. Feel free to give your opinion.

MTD_raw&text.png
MTD_raw.png
MTD_shiny&text.png
MTD_shiny.png

MTD.png

I'd just put the panda on. Most people would recognize it is banksy or at least recognize the style. I kind of wonder if the writing will be hard to read on the chip the way you have it.

I'd just put the panda on. Most people would recognize it is banksy or at least recognize the style. I kind of wonder if the writing will be hard to read on the chip the way you have it.

I have a cousin who works at a company that makes stickers. I was planning on doing some samples just to see. Even though you can recognize Banksy's work, I also like to have his signature, especially since I think it's pretty classy. I reproduced the "Make a difference" in the same style, because I like the pensive, but I'm less sure about the general aesthetics...

Actually, what I might run is a grunge textured mask to make it look a bit more speckled and aged like spray paint on the wall looks like.

Banksy himself would only approve of the all black no text version. The others are a bastardization of the spirit of it.

it will pop just like the Rounders design. I love it.

Good point!

Isn’t this a joke?

A panda walks into a bar, sits down and orders a sandwich. He eats the sandwich, pulls out a gun and shoots the waiter dead.

As the panda stands up to go, the bartender shouts, "Hey! Where are you going? You just shot my waiter and you didn't pay for your sandwich!"

The panda yells back at the bartender, "Hey, I'm a PANDA! Look it up!" The bartender opens his dictionary and sees the following definition for panda:

"A tree dwelling marsupial of Asian orgin, characterized by distinct black and white coloring. Eats shoots and leaves.

I always thought that this wasn’t actually one of Banksy’s designs.

and for me, I’d go without any text at all. If you absolutely must have text, I’d switch it to a more stencil style, and include overspray

I always thought that this wasn’t actually one of Banksy’s designs.

and for me, I’d go without any text at all. If you absolutely must have text, I’d switch it to a more stencil style, and include overspray

I agree...No text..just the panda... like Rounders chips

Just did some more research into this, and the panda art is supposedly the work of Julien Fanton D’Andon.

so, I definitely wouldn’t put Banksy’s name under it ;)

Just did some more research into this, and the panda art is supposedly the work of Julien Fanton D’Andon.

so, I definitely wouldn’t put Banksy’s name under it ;)

Wow it seems you're right! Hard to know when it's a true one...

Definitely no name is better, and for street art I'd take someone less seen like Tristan Eaton
1587030900407.png

Another possibility would be that I have a piece of street artworks by denom...

I’m a big fan of urban art. You could definitely do something interesting with various different artworks.

If you wanted to go with the Banksy piece you posted, you could colourize the flowers to match the chips.

Giant is another street artist that’s has some commercial success. Lots of his motifs would make for great inlay

I’m a big fan of urban art. You could definitely do something interesting with various different artworks.

If you wanted to go with the Banksy piece you posted, you could colourize the flowers to match the chips.

A "walk of fame" set could great ;) Good idea the flowers. Would you mean matching the denom color of each chip?

You could make the flowers be a mix of the base and spot chip colours.

btw, your 25 and 5000 chips are going to be a big problem with dirty stacks. Same with the 100 and 10 000

Just another voice ringing in in favor of no text (except maybe a denomination).

What's your preference now between the panda bear and the flower thrower? I'm having a hard time choosing.

panda.png

hooligan.png

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom