Backgammon Sets (1 Viewer)

MahJong is next! New set from crisloid coming

95DEB383-BD2A-4F39-9250-5E8B121A7071.jpeg

So I officially put in an order for custom checkers at crissloid today. One set is a combo of my favorite color with my second favorite color marbled in. And the other set is my girlfriend’s 2 favorite colors marbled together. 1.75”. $133.50 with shipping and tax for the 30 checkers.

So I officially put in an order for custom checkers at crissloid today. One set is a combo of my favorite color with my second favorite color marbled in. And the other set is my girlfriend’s 2 favorite colors marbled together. 1.75”. $133.50 with shipping and tax for the 30 checkers.
I was thinking... geeze, that's a lot per checker. Then I realised it is in line with chip prices, so...

Time to fire up the NAGB machine.... :sneaky:

Last edited:
Two of my favorite backgammon boards:

A Genesis Naylor made board. I'm not sure if he still makes them. It is covered in Tuscan leather. Unfortunately, the light points have darkened on my board over the years and it is hard to see the contrast for quick pip counting. I should have bought one with a lighter background field.

genesisnaylor-mahogany_primary_1.jpg

A Dal Negro leather covered board. It is a great board, but the checkers are thinner than on most boards. The dice will "jump" onto the tops of the checkers very easily. I ended up replacing them with thicker checkers and the problem was solved. However all 15 won't fit in the checker storage compartment, so I have a little cloth bag that I store the extra two checkers per side in.

Dal Negro.jpg

Taki-Boards are also great. I've never owned one, but I really like playing on them at our backgammon club when someone brings one. Maybe someday I'll spring for one.

IMG_0497.jpg

Not to hijack the thread, but here are the faces of the tiles

242669314_10159656463098656_6622132335817023332_n.jpg

241088458_10159642014113656_2361238447656096167_n.jpg
241400476_10159642014108656_2758136803928894966_n.jpg

To echo what has already been stated in this thread... Oh, I'm sorry I found this thread!!! I haven't bought a board in over 10 years, and now I'm going down the rabbit hole again. And I thought poker chips are dangerous!

...here are the faces of the tiles

Kaimat: Our posts got intertwined. Your MahJong set is beautiful. I've never played, but it looks interesting.

I need more boards.

MatB: You've really gone all-in! Awesome! How do you like the FTH Board? After having it for a little while, would it still be your first choice. What do you think of the Zaza &Sacci? I've always admired them, but I've never seen one in person.

@DoubleBarrel

Loving the FTH board !
It really is the best bang for buck. The merino wool playing surface is great. Our favorite checkers on it are the red and yellow catalins.

Played at the backgammon club on Sunday and lost. But got to see and play on some great boards.

The board my wife ordered from Zazza and Sacci was apparently out of stock so we just cancelled the order. She ordered instead a new Crisloid board which could be a while.
I like the Crisloid board cork surface. I have a few now , as I had to buy them to get the fantastic checkers. But I choose Merino wool over the cork in heartbeat, but it does make a nice change up.

I'd like to play on a Taki board to see what that feels like. I love the look of those boards.

Ok here's where I've fallen down an even bigger rabbit hole.

I found some amazing bakelite/ catalin 1.5" checkers and I think to myself... hmmm. a smaller travel board wold be great!! So after some research as the 'high' end board makers don't seem to cater to the 1.5" checker people. (still have to check out Taki-boards) A player at the Backgammon club had a Svilo board that looked pretty decent. He'd refurnished it and it had real leather dice cups. So I may grab a board from Svilo soon.

https://svilo.com

Ok now the really deep rabbit hole...

Ive ordered sample swatches of wool from Gammoner boards. These seem like the Mercedes of backgammon boards. Theres a 6 month wait time for a board so ive decided to have a board made for my birthday next year LOL. Designed around a brown swirl and golden catalin checkers

Lord help me.

Last edited:
I'd wanted a nice board for years. Long before I fell down the poker chip rabbit hole.

Whats fun about this is my wife really enjoys playing the game too, so we're getting to share the obsession. Ok maybe I'm obsessing, but she's loving the different checkers. We swap out for a different color every other night.

Thanks for the info. Your checker collection is great! It is very cool that you can enjoy the game with your wife. Definitely, beats TV!

The Taki Boards play wonderfully. The playing surface seems somewhat like a Olefin carpet material. It plays nicely and wears well.

I made five wooden boards for a customer and ordered custom cork surfaces from Crisloid for them. They played well. I haven't tried the wool.

Please post a picture of your Gammoner Board when you get it. I'm not familiar with them. Time to some research. :cool

Thanks @MatB - you've now convinced me I need to add MOAR colors of checkers or my set just isn't quite complete. The two colors that came with the board just seem so plain now.

I see a whole new sickness coming on... :rolleyes:

I thought I needed a Mahjong set too.

Then I looked up ‘how to play mahjong’ and my head imploded

I thought I needed a Mahjong set too.

Then I looked up ‘how to play mahjong’ and my head imploded
Ahh, if you can play gin rummy or Rummikub you can play this.
Setting up and “dealing” is half the fun, but the auto dealing table is is absolutely the shitzz.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom