Backgammon Sets (2 Viewers)

I'm going to start reading some BG books, I can see the obvious leaks in my game.

The way I learned years ago, we never used a cube. Was straight up fight down to the last guy. Made for some great comeback games which I don't think you see as much in a cube game.
Was fun and great way learn basics.
Also I never counted my pips. Practicing that more and getting into that habit will help too.

This is my set. I was playing quite a lot a few years back but for some reason, haven't played in a while. You guys are inspiring me to pick it up again.

IMG_4112.jpeg
IMG_4113.jpeg
IMG_4114.jpeg

Sort of cool provenance. The board I picked up recently because it had cool checkers with it.
was from the 1979 Backgammon Championship in Puerto Rico
Unfortunately it’s in pretty rough shape.
8A0D7660-BDFD-42FB-8C26-F33B32198A33.jpeg

071484C1-C44F-4E4A-97CC-769BF30F3E79.jpeg
205B8C9D-BD79-4EC2-A8DD-411FC6DAA5B5.jpeg

91DFDFFC-07DA-4D80-899E-3E168FB1C504.jpeg

What are some of the qualities you look for in "good" checkers?

What are some of the qualities you look for in "good" checkers?

This is a new rabbit hole I’ve fallen down

Personally I’m loving the bakelite/ Catalin checkers from 40 50 or 60 years ago.
I guess most checkers aren’t bakelite really but variations on the original.
they are super hard. Sound great and come in amazing colors.
Lots of fake ones out there.
the link ( I’ll post when I find it ) that BginGa posted to NEw England backgammon page has a great write up on the
checkers. https://nebackgammon.org/index.php/backgammon-in-bakelite/

I’m picking up anything that catches my eye that could be used with current boards or possible later boards.
Like poker chips. BUY FIRST ASK QUESTIONS LATER !

Interestingly. I spoke with someone today who said that a lot middle eastern buyers are buying up a lot of Bakelite / Catalin checkers to have made into prayer beads. Larger the checker the larger the bead can be
So prices are skyrocketing.

1.75 ( really 43.5mm to 44mm) checkers are expensive but the 2” checkers are double the cost. And thicker the better.

I have seen some nice looking modern checkers but they still want $70 to $90 for 15 of them !!

Last edited:
Well, here is my budget 21” 1.75” set. It came with the black and white checkers, which I don’t love, but I like the black and white points against the gray field.

F8116BE0-1CBC-46D4-A540-6BF16CDDAC6D.jpeg

but I thought this would be a perfect neutral board for my favorite colors (anyone seen the chicken coop 1s and 5s?)

AFD1C7CD-6D84-41C5-B1D4-4B857D028488.jpeg

now I gotta get some matching dice. Maybe a periwinkle and teal set as those are my GFs favorite colors.

I've never been huge into backgammon, but I used to play a decent amount when I was young. I still have my dad's board but obviously it's nothing special. I was really into chess for a long time, but I haven't played for a while (minus some random games online here and there). I recently decided that I wanted to create a nice board that can also function as an art piece. I came across the following wall mounted board that has inspired me to try and make my own:

1630783826627.png

I'm currently trying to come up with my own set idea for the pieces. Not sure if I want to go with a theme or just my own design based off of standard pieces (but I'm not a fan of the abstract pieces in this picture).

I started getting into backgammon a few months back and picked up one of the Wycliffe boards after using a few cheap smaller ones. The tournament size definitely makes a difference and it would be tough to go back to anything smaller.

F12465D5-457D-40DC-9D5D-47D9D09442F9.jpeg

Shout out to this thread for reminding me to play a game with my wife tonight. Love a game that I can play with the wife (she’s not a heads up poker fan).
image.jpg

I've never been huge into backgammon, but I used to play a decent amount when I was young. I still have my dad's board but obviously it's nothing special. I was really into chess for a long time, but I haven't played for a while (minus some random games online here and there). I recently decided that I wanted to create a nice board that can also function as an art piece. I came across the following wall mounted board that has inspired me to try and make my own:

View attachment 770616
I'm currently trying to come up with my own set idea for the pieces. Not sure if I want to go with a theme or just my own design based off of standard pieces (but I'm not a fan of the abstract pieces in this picture).

I would suggest an outline or silhouette of the pieces for a vertical board. I've seen them done using regular Staunton pieces and it seems hard to tell (at least to my old crappy eyes) what the pieces are. Viewing it on the wall is similar to viewing a board on a computer screen where basic shapes work better, imo.

Well, here is my budget 21” 1.75” set. It came with the black and white checkers, which I don’t love, but I like the black and white points against the gray field.

View attachment 770509

but I thought this would be a perfect neutral board for my favorite colors (anyone seen the chicken coop 1s and 5s?)

View attachment 770510

now I gotta get some matching dice. Maybe a periwinkle and teal set as those are my GFs favorite colors.

What board is this? I almost pulled the trigger on one again today but I just can't commit to a truly "budget" board. I don't want to end up thinking of it like it is dice chips and then going all out.

What board is this? I almost pulled the trigger on one again today but I just can't commit to a truly "budget" board. I don't want to end up thinking of it like it is dice chips and then going all out.
It’s the same one as mine! Wycliffe brothers tournament board from gammon village. They’re $250 and don’t feel budget at all. I think it’s pretty unanimous that they’re the best entry level board you can get.

It’s the same one as mine! Wycliffe brothers tournament board from gammon village. They’re $250 and don’t feel budget at all. I think it’s pretty unanimous that they’re the best entry level board you can get.

oh geez, i was looking to spend $55 on Amazon lol. i guess i really am truly after the dice chips of backgammon boards. i can't justify dropping $250 without knowing the wife will be willing to play enough. nice looking board(s) though.

*edit* damn i really like the black/orange one:

1630804177318.png

oh geez, i was looking to spend $55 on Amazon lol. i guess i really am truly after the dice chips of backgammon boards. i can't justify dropping $250 without knowing the wife will be willing to play enough. nice looking board(s) though.

*edit* damn i really like the black/orange one:

View attachment 770763
The journey was just like poker chips for me - started with the Amazon one for a couple of weeks, got way too addicted, and jumped right to the nicer one haha. Give your wife a chance, I bet she’ll like it. My wife is notorious for not liking to play games with any sort of strategy but she’s taken a liking to it.

Anyone know how crisloid’s current production checkers are? They’ll do custom colors and I’m thinking of having a set made.

Also, last night, my GF passed her LHMC credentialing exam, and we finally played our first game together. I gammoned her. I’m bad at relationships.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom