Backgammon Sets (1 Viewer)

BSteck

Full House
Reaction score
Anyone have any cool backgammon sets they'd like to share/recommend?

@ekricket posted his on a thread hijack (https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/estate-listed-on-craigslist-miami.22822/#post-420022) and it got me thinking. I'm clearly WAY over my poker chip budget for the year but I haven't even touched my backgammon board budget yet - not that I even knew I needed a backgammon board budget until I saw his pic.
:whistle: :whistling:

lol I'll try to post some pictures of my others later tonight.

As far as recommend, my only recommendation is Crisloid. Cork boards, coolest pieces ever, several sizes and colors to choose from, both vintage ones and new. Plus they stand by their products, refurbishing anything they have ever made to like new condition on request.
They absolutely love to do custom work as well.

Are we going to get into the chess/checkers realm as well? Because I got some of those as well.......

lol I'll try to post some pictures of my others later tonight.

As far as recommend, my only recommendation is Crisloid. Cork boards, coolest pieces ever, several sizes and colors to choose from, both vintage ones and new. Plus they stand by their products, refurbishing anything they have ever made to like new condition on request.
They absolutely love to do custom work as well.

Are we going to get into the chess/checkers realm as well? Because I got some of those as well.......

I used to have some cool chess sets. No longer. :(

@intjester posted pics of his new set last year here: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/ot-checker-pr0n.16106/

I prefer inlaid felt or fabric surfaces over leather or cork -- they are quieter, with ample die bounce but not too much action. Here are pictures of two sets I still own:

custom 2" checker Brami set from Brazil (micro-suede surface, alligator exterior):
bg-set-2in-jpg.65410

custom 1-3/4" checker Zavoral set (felt surface, leather exterior):
bg-set-34-jpg.65408

image-jpeg.63660

Trading lessons (backgammon for OFCP) with @inca911 at Club Courage last year:
image-jpeg.63608

I used to purchase Crisloid tournament sets in bulk, and upgrade them for re-sale -- refitting the playing surface and checker storage compartment dimensions to ensure a tight checker fit in both areas, adding protective brass corners and a sturdier handle, applying a thin layer of polyurethane to the cork surface for protection from dirt and damage, fitting the standard dice cups with anti-cheating devices, and adding precision dice and an upgraded engraved doubling cube.

The conversions made for a very nice yet affordable mid-range semi-custom set. Like high-end poker chips, upscale custom backgammon sets and related equipment can be very expensive.

IMG_1486.JPG
IMG_1487.JPG

This is the sister checkerboard to the backgammon I posted the other day.
Both handmade by Crisloid.
I'm a fan if you can't tell, vintage Crisloid dice collector as well.

Anyone have any cool backgammon sets they'd like to share/recommend?
All depends on how much you want to spend. Best bang-for-the-buck tournament size set (1-3/4" checkers) these days is probably the Gen III series from Wycliffe Brothers, which sells for an incredible $265 shipped. Most full-size tournament boards this nice sell for two or three times as much:

http://www.gammonvillage.com/backga...gammon_set_black_with_black_field_gen_iii.cfm
th700_WB-SA-114_iii_d_01MEL.jpg

I'm also a big fan of the GammonVillage Champion Class boards, which sell for around $800:

http://www.gammonvillage.com/backgammon-shop/backgammon-brands/gammonvillage/
th1024_GV03_v_01.jpg

If going high-end, it's tough to beat the engineering and construction quality of a Freistadtler Pro Series set ($1300-$1700):

http://www.gammonvillage.com/backgammon-shop/backgammon-brands/freistadtler/
th1024_330z-b-01s.jpg

Thanks guys for the very helpful recommendations and links.... great stuff! That gives me some good options to ponder and maybe stretch the budget just a bit more. :)

Last edited:
For anyone else interested in the thread, looks like Gammon Village has 10% off through Labor day with code LABOR.

So... you know...the more you spend the more you save.;)

slight thread jack - not backgammon but there is an heirloom Mah jonng set in the family made of bamboo and ivory tiles long before any bans. The box is tattered but the pieces are exquisite. I have no idea how old it is. Was purchased in China in the late 70's from father in law. I'll try and get pics in December.

I have 4 backgammon sets, but nothing really worth posting here. I haven't really played much in the past 30 :)eek:) years. They'e unlikely to move the needle in a sale, so they are just stuffed out of the way as I complete the remodel on the game room.

I haven't played backgammon in 20 years. So why do I suddenly want a high end set lol

Hasn't been 20 years, but it has been a while for me.

I used to LOVE playing backgammon, but not many people i know play it.

( i think i need a high end set too now )

Damnit.. you guys got me looking at sets i can't afford.

i REALLY like the colors on this...

Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 11.54.34 PM.png

lol, yeah, i'm buying a set (that I don't need, and won't use) this weekend. GV's Labor Day sale prices are just too good to pass up.

Will probably off-load one of my existing sets next spring.

If I can get MSPatton to take a few pics, in my years of full on chip addiction I traded him a one of a kind board for more chips (he is owner of Holdempokerchips.com). Inlaid hardwood & the pieces were cut from branches so you could the rings etc - so cool. Maybe I have a pick at home. Will look later.

I haven't played a ton of backgammon... but now I know all the games I've played in the past have been WASTED - WASTED! on my puny cheap little magnetic hand-me-down board. I mean seriously! What a difference a real tournament sized set makes. Such a much more enjoyable and tactile experience! Thanks everyone for opening my eyes and for the recommendations!

Here's some backgammon pr0n of my new set!
2017-09-04 09.27.58.jpg

2017-09-04 09.27.47.jpg
2017-09-04 09.30.30.jpg
2017-09-04 09.31.07.jpg

I just yelled downstairs to my wife "should we get a backgammon board? "

she said yes. :)

So The Wycliff Brothers board looks like good bang for buck. Any other suggestions in the not break the bank range?

Oh uh...

Why did I click on this thread? :(

I played nearly everyday after school in my teens. If you can imagine a bunch of long hair stoner looking musicians sitting in a garge hunched over a backgammon board. It was quite a scene and I was super into it. This is ignighting a fire that I was sure was out lol.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom