Back from the dead pr0n (1 Viewer)

JustDave

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
These are part of a set I'm almost done with. I got these chips obviously very well loved, they were beat up, dry and very dirty. I got some help from some fellow chippers and they got cleaned up really well, but they ended up even dryer than before. I started the process of oiling these chips up and did a test chip and it soaked up everything it could get it's greedy mitts on. When I went to do the rest of the rack I really oiled them up heavy, so much so I had a lot of second doubts, but I checked them a few hours later and with are a few spots where there is a bit of surface pooling to wipe off, but nothing like you'd expect. I use this plastic rack just for oiled chips to sit in and absorb oil and then a few days later I wipe them clean. I do this so I don't contaminate another storage box.

Comparison shot from a before and after:
IMG_2770.jpg

You mind posting these again in a week? Any time I've had chips that are (I don't know if dry is the right word? We could easily be damaging these chips with certain cleaning methods?) in similar shape, it seems like repeated doses of oil eventually just seem to absorb and leave me in a similar place that I started. If you've got good technique to make results like this 'stick' over time it would be great to learn.

You mind posting these again in a week? Any time I've had chips that are (I don't know if dry is the right word? We could easily be damaging these chips with certain cleaning methods?) in similar shape, it seems like repeated doses of oil eventually just seem to absorb and leave me in a similar place that I started. If you've got good technique to make results like this 'stick' over time it would be great to learn.
Yeah, no problem.

I've worked on mediums before that actually absorb some of each of anything applied to them, the one that comes to mind is priming various plastics/resins. You frequently will prime something say black, come back 2-3 hours later and some of that primer has been absorbed and you end up having to re apply a few times. This makes me think that as a somewhat porous material these may need several repeated applications before they can fully get back up to condition.

Technique is nothing special, micro fiber cloth with food grade mineral oil soaked into it, each chip gets a spin and into the case. 3-4 days later out they come for removing any of the excess, pooled up oil and back to the original place they came from. Hard to get the oil into the hats sometimes, but if it goes on 'heavy' I find that after a day or so oil has penetrated into those recesses.

57154E3E-B6D7-4563-9489-95D85F6361E3.jpeg

You can see a chip pre oil and how much is still on it while it’s hanging out. That’s probably the worst chip in that barrel for excess oil.

I’ve run into this as well with some chips. Some will improve, but many will end up still looking “dry”.

Only thing I can think of is that somewhere in their history, they were over exposed to TSP and/or water that was way too hot + harsh cleaning agent.

It’s on the surface, if they are milled - the newly exposed chip surface is good..

I’ve run into this as well with some chips. Some will improve, but many will end up still looking “dry”.

Only thing I can think of is that somewhere in their history, they were over exposed to TSP and/or water that was way too hot + harsh cleaning agent.

It’s on the surface, if they are milled - the newly exposed chip surface is good..
Interesting on that last point. really points to some combination of our cleaning approach, time, and maybe ingredient composition for certain chip production years as somehow damaging the surface of the chip.

Interesting on that last point. really points to some combination of our cleaning approach, time, and maybe ingredient composition for certain chip production years as somehow damaging the surface of the chip.
Yes, I think improper use of TSP, temps, or other cleaning chemicals can cause major surface damage. Here are a few pics to illustrate. The 2nd was an experiment where I lightly wet sanded to see if it was just the surface. (All of these were HEAVILY oiled multiple times)

Note: I did not clean these, got em like that - lol

54B70244-2293-4E30-8B9A-AB91E0565D3B.jpeg

C41FBED2-8DC9-4B3B-BAD3-FB3EEC53B77E.jpeg

You can clearly see from the 2nd pic, the damage reached into the mold, which leads me to believe a combination of over exposure to TSP and high water temps..?

Last edited:
Mine were milled and then cleaned. They were already in rough shape before they were cleaned though. I know they were quite old when I got them. Cleaning made them very very mildly worse.

I normally put the label on and then oil instead of oil and then clean so I don't have a shot of them without the label but oiled up to see how that empty reacts to it.

I wonder if it's potentially tons of abrasions and the tsp is too "gritty"?

Really makes me want to get a barrel of really dirty red 5s and try various techniques and compare. We could be ruining a lot of chips as a community.

I wonder if it's potentially tons of abrasions and the tsp is too "gritty"?

Really makes me want to get a barrel of really dirty red 5s and try various techniques and compare. We could be ruining a lot of chips as a community.
Not sure. On some, it definitely seemed to be an obvious surface damage. In others it could very well be fading from UV/prolonged exposure to sunlight. Hard to tell for sure other then it’s definitely just on the surface.

Luckily only about 15% of the chips where like that.

These are part of a set I'm almost done with. I got these chips obviously very well loved, they were beat up, dry and very dirty. I got some help from some fellow chippers and they got cleaned up really well, but they ended up even dryer than before. I started the process of oiling these chips up and did a test chip and it soaked up everything it could get it's greedy mitts on. When I went to do the rest of the rack I really oiled them up heavy, so much so I had a lot of second doubts, but I checked them a few hours later and with are a few spots where there is a bit of surface pooling to wipe off, but nothing like you'd expect. I use this plastic rack just for oiled chips to sit in and absorb oil and then a few days later I wipe them clean. I do this so I don't contaminate another storage box.
Awesome results! When oiling used Paulsons, I've found that different colors may retain oil better than others.

For example, my used Empress chips, the red $5s & green $25s the colors tend to stay saturated a long time after oiling, but some dark blue and black chips I have tend to dry out more quickly, where the edges go from dark back to being 'chalky' much quicker, and after a few weeks/months need another application of oil. (note to self - I should try an experiment on the dark blue chips to see if a really liberal application of oil, like you used above, makes them stay darker longer.)

Keep this thread going, I'm interested to see how these freshly-oiled chips look after a few weeks/months.

Yes, I think improper use of TSP, temps, or other cleaning chemicals can cause major surface damage. Here are a few pics to illustrate. The 2nd was an experiment where I lightly wet sanded to see if it was just the surface. (All of these were HEAVILY oiled multiple times)

Note: I did not clean these, got em like that - lol
Very interesting to see that blue color change so much after you wet sanded! I have some of the same light/medium blue color chips of myself. It could definitely be the TSP/cleaning that causes the color to fade -- but another thought I have is that this color blue might be prone to more 'oxidation' or fading than other colors, that just happened over decades of the chips sitting in racks or barrels somewhere. I don't think I cleaned the blue chips myself, but can't quite recall. But I've cleaned plenty of other used Paulson solid chips that didn't with heavy cleaning/submerging in the ultrasonic with TSP that didn't develop the 'fading' or 'oxidation' that these light blue chips have.

Awesome results! When oiling used Paulsons, I've found that different colors may retain oil better than others.

For example, my used Empress chips, the red $5s & green $25s the colors tend to stay saturated a long time after oiling, but some dark blue and black chips I have tend to dry out more quickly, where the edges go from dark back to being 'chalky' much quicker, and after a few weeks/months need another application of oil. (note to self - I should try an experiment on the dark blue chips to see if a really liberal application of oil, like you used above, makes them stay darker longer.)

Keep this thread going, I'm interested to see how these freshly-oiled chips look after a few weeks/months.

Very interesting to see that blue color change so much after you wet sanded! I have some of the same light/medium blue color chips of myself. It could definitely be the TSP/cleaning that causes the color to fade -- but another thought I have is that this color blue might be prone to more 'oxidation' or fading than other colors, that just happened over decades of the chips sitting in racks or barrels somewhere. I don't think I cleaned the blue chips myself, but can't quite recall. But I've cleaned plenty of other used Paulson solid chips that didn't with heavy cleaning/submerging in the ultrasonic with TSP that didn't develop the 'fading' or 'oxidation' that these light blue chips have.
That is certainly a possibility, it could be just with certain colors. I’ve also used TSP in the US many times and not had any damage. (Even ones that fell out and were in waaay longer then they should’ve - lol) I think this kind of damage, if caused by TSP, would be the result of a pretty significant overdose.

Or - to your point, the cause could just be the chips, prolonged UV exposure, time, etc. It does seem like oxidation.

Where are our resident forum material engineers - lol.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom