Average chip prices 2021 (mostly RHC) (2 Viewers)

I believe @RainmanTrail tried a similar undertaking a few years ago. However, there were a number of issue that the community brought up...
  • More chips are moved through PM's than through classifieds.
  • Classified price does not necessarily indicate actual selling price
  • Chip prices are affected by set breakdown.
Mind you, I love the initiative. I'm a fan of spreadsheet data and statistics. This may be useful to gage approximate value, but it has possible flaws. In the end, spend what you feel willing to spend, and sell for what you feel it is worth. If a transaction happens, the price is right.

Yes, I saw this thread earlier and considered commenting on my experiences but decided against it initially. When I was new here, I did something similar. I put together a database of chip sales from the classifieds and eBay. It contained a lot of info and had thousands of sales in it. Manufacturer, mold, condition, variation, breakdown, chip sizes, colors, spot patterns, etc. I also had a lot of people who contacted me and who wanted to contribute to the project in order to have it live on as a community resource. Ultimately though, I got a ton of pushback from a very vocal minority who were remarkably opposed to the idea of its existence. They came up with all sorts of reasons to oppose it, and tried to explain away why it would be invalid or borderline useless, etc. Basically, I got shit on for the project big time, and it very much shaped my experiences interacting with people on this site. I've learned a lot since then though about this community, about the individuals who were so adamantly opposed, about how chip transactions go down, both public and private, etc.

After years of experience interacting here and following chip prices closely, I would summarize my viewpoint as follows:

1. Every single concern raised by everyone who was opposed to the idea was and is completely irrelevant to the goal of a project like this (tracking chip prices/valuations over time). The number of chips that change hands "in secret" (none of these are ever truly in secret though once you get to know people - everyone loves to gossip) or "behind the scenes" here is miniscule compared to the number that change hands publicly. And even those that do generally sell for roughly the same amount anyhow. There are definitely exceptions to this, and those who are adamantly opposed to the existence of a resource like this will jump all over it with examples, but in the grand scheme of things, those transactions are irrelevant anyhow, and they have zero effect on the broader market prices. Also, I've learned that even the majority of those private "buddy buddy" insider "friendly" sales eventually end up changing hands again anyhow, at market prices. If you give someone a good deal behind the scenes in this community, you're basically just a sucker, with very very few exceptions. But even the friendly deals that never get taken advantage of or that never eventually get resold for a profit don't really matter anyhow. They still have zero effect on market prices. If you sell someone a $1000 rack of chips for $600 behind the scenes, it doesn't mean the new valuation of those chips is suddenly worth $600. It just means you gave someone a $400 gift along with that rack of chips. Sometimes we like to give each other friendly deals, but ultimately it has zero effect on market prices.

2. Chips almost always sell for their listed prices. Yes, there are exceptions, but those listings are usually pretty easy to identify anyhow. Chip listings that get bumped in perpetuity or where the seller keeps dropping the price and eventually says, "make me an offer" are pretty much the only listings where the actual selling price differs from the original asking price. Once you start to build out a dataset of chip sales, it's pretty easy to spot which listings are overpriced. But even if you were to mistakenly add a sale to the database where the seller was asking too much and the chips never actually changed hands for that price, it still wouldn't matter because it would just be an outlier data point in the database. If people see racks of Paris $1 chips sold for $300, $275, $400, $400, $325, $600, $290, and $350, they're just going to ignore that $600 data point. And even if it's a transaction for a unique rank of chips, it still won't matter. People will look up prices of other chips that they think are of similar value. Ultimately, the buyers are going to come to the same conclusions either way for how much they are willing to spend on chips. All the tool would do is make that data more accessible and save everyone a bunch of time (other than the people building and maintaining the data of course).

3. Everyone who is opposed to the idea of having a resource such as this is acting out of self interest even if they don't realize it (and most of them won't and would argue against this charge). Basically, they want to supress market prices so they can buy chips for less money. They are afraid that a tool such as this might artificially inflate market prices and make the hobby that much more expensive for them (they're wrong). But it irrelevant anyhow. It's futile. The market doesn't care if a database of prior chip sales exists or not. People know how to use the search feature. Everyone can get at least a directionally accurate idea of what chips are worth by spending a few minutes researching prior sales with the search tool. Having a database of sold prices isn't going to change the market. It's just going to make it easier and more convenient for people to lookup past prices (which we all do anyhow).

At the end of the day though, it's A LOT of work to build and maintain a database like this. It's an extremely useful and valuable resource to have though. If you build it, people will use it. My inbox was flooded by people who were interested in it back when I was putting it together after I first joined.

Just be prepared for people to shit on you for building it. You will receive pushback.

Last edited:
Chips almost always sell for their listed prices.
I think this is especially true in 2021. In years past, there was probably a whole lot more haggling and offers going on, especially for the sort of chips included in this database.

I think this is especially true in 2021. In years past, there was probably a whole lot more haggling and offers going on, especially for the sort of chips included in this database.

People try to lowball sellers regularly, but those who do rarely succeed. They build a reputation for it too. When chips get listed at market prices though, the sellers don't budge. They don't need to. The chips will sell. It's always been this way in my experience. Or at least for the past 7 years since I've been paying attention.

If you're looking through old listings and you see one that just looks like bump city with no price drops posted, you can probably just safely ignore it when looking for comps. And you could just omit it from the database. It's not the the data must be completely comprehensive to be useful and accurate.

Also, it's worth keeping in mind that it's just a resource. It's not like there's some unwritten rule that a rack of chips must sell for the same amount that it sold for last time. Market demand fluctuates constantly. It's a rear view mirror into historical market prices, not a future pricing Bible. There shouldn't be anything threatening about it at all. It's going to be correlated to future prices, but it can't dictate them or even influence them any more than a simple search would.

Last edited:
ModelDenomPrice Per ChipCondition
Aransas Queen$25
1​
VG
Argosy$5
2​
VG
Aztar Indiana$5
0.75​
G
Boulder Station$2
4​
VG
Bremerton$mixed
0.67​
G
Cars/Generals/Presidents$100
2.22​
LN
Cars/Generals/Presidents$25
2​
VG
Cars/Generals/Presidents$5
2.3​
LN
Cars/Generals/Presidentsnone
1.5​
LN
Cars/Generals/Presidents$mixed
2.17​
VG
Cars/Generals/Presidents$25
2.5​
LN
Cars/Generals/Presidents$100
2.12​
LN
0.7​
LN
0.8​
VG
Circus Circus$1
1​
VG
Clichy Montmartre$5
1.25​
G
Crystal Park$mixed
3.2​
VG
Derby Gran$25
1.5​
VG
Derby Gran$25
2​
VG
Dover Down$1
3​
VG
Good Luck ClubT10
2.56​
LN
Good Luck ClubT10
1.92​
VG
Good Luck ClubT5
2.5​
VG
Havana$0.25
2.75​
VG
Horizon's Edge$mixed
1.28​
G
Horizon's Edge$100
3​
VG
hotstampnone
1.73​
VG
HS Cinci$25
1.9​
VG
HS Cinci$5
1.67​
LN
HS Cinci$5
1.7​
LN
HS Clev$2.5
2​
VG
HS Clev$100
3​
VG
HS ClevTmixed
1.36​
VG
HSI$100
4.5​
VG
HSI$500
4.5​
VG
HSI$1
0.6​
VG
HSI$5
2.47​
VG
HSI$25
1.86​
LN
HSI$1
0.95​
LN
HSI$5
3.5​
N
HSI$25
4​
N
HSI$500
7.5​
N
IOC$100
3.5​
LN
IOC$5
1.65​
VG
Isle Cape Girardeau$500
6.25​
VG
Isle Cape Girardeau$5
2.23​
VG
Isle Cape Girardeau$100
3.93​
VG
Isle Cape Girardeau$5
1.65​
VG
Jack CinciT1000
1.9​
VG
Jack CinciT5000
1.6​
VG
Jack CinciT25000
1.6​
VG
Jack CinciT1000
2.1​
VG
Jack CinciT5000
2.2​
VG
Jack CinciT25
1.25​
VG
Jack CinciT100
1.25​
VG
Jack CinciT25
1.4​
VG
Jack CinciT500
4.67​
LN
Jack CinciT25
1.5​
VG
Jack Cinci$5
0.4​
VG
Jack Cinci$500
2​
VG
Jack CinciT25
1​
VG
Jack CinciT100
1.2​
VG
Jack Cinci$500
4​
VG
Jack Cinci$2
4.35​
LN
Jack Cinci$500
4​
LN
Jack Cinci$500
3.83​
LN
Jack Cinci$5000
36.25​
LN
Jack Cinci$500
3.85​
LN
Jack Cinci$25
1.5​
VG
Jack Cinci$100
3​
N
Jack Cinci$2
4.5​
VG
Jack Cinci$25
1.25​
VG
Jack Cinci$500
2.45​
VG
Jack Cinci$100
3​
VG
Jack Cinci$100
3​
LN
Jack Cinci$1000
11.5​
VG
Jack Cinci$mixed
1.84​
VG
Jack Cinci$1
1.3​
VG
Jack Cinci$100
1.5​
VG
Jack Cinci$500
3.75​
VG
Jack CinciT100
1.2​
VG
Jack Cinci$500
4.5​
VG
Jack Cinci$5
2.1​
LN
Jack Cinci$500
2.5​
LN
Jack Cinci$2.5
10​
LN
Jack Cinci$500
4​
LN
Jack Cinci$2
4.3​
LN
Jack Cinci$2
4​
LN
Jack CinciTmixed
2.07​
VG
Jack Cinci$25
0.95​
VG
Jack Cinci$25
1.5​
VG
Jack Cinci$1
0.93​
VG
Jack CinciTmixed
1.54​
VG
Jack Cinci$mixed
2.71​
VG
Jack Cinci$mixed
2.92​
VG
Jack Cinci$mixed
4.55​
VG
Jack Detroit$1
2​
VG
Jack Detroit$5
2.5​
LN
Jack Detroit$mixed
3.46​
VG
Jack DetroitT500
1.13​
LN
Jack Detroit$mixed
2​
LN
Jack Detroit$mixed
1.17​
VG
Jack mixed$mixed
1.08​
LN
Jack mixed$mixed
1.22​
VG
Lady Luck$1
1.8​
LN
Lady Luck$25
1.35​
VG
Lucky Lady$1
2​
VG
Michael Ginsberg$25
4.06​
LN
Michael Ginsberg$10
3.5​
LN
mixed$mixed
1.56​
LN
mixed$mixed
1.67​
VG
mixed$1
1.5​
VG
mixed$1
2​
VG
Native Lights$1
1​
VG
Native Lights$100
3.5​
LN
Nimitz$2.5
3.25​
VG
Paulson advertisingnone
2.5​
LN
relabel$1
0.9​
G
relabel$5
2​
G
relabel$25
1.8​
G
relabel$100
2​
G
relabel$500
3​
VG
relabel$1000
3​
VG
relabel$5000
3.75​
VG
Resorts World Catskills$1
1.5​
LN
RouletteR27
2.5​
LN
RouletteRmixed
2.79​
LN
RouletteRmixed
2.7​
VG
RouletteR27
2.6​
VG
Santa Ysabel$5
2.33​
VG
Santa Ysabel$5
2​
VG
Santa Ysabel$1
3​
VG
Seven Mile$1
1.2​
G
SheratonRmixed
0.5​
G
Sheraton RouletteRmixed
0.67​
G
Sheraton RouletteRmixed
0.67​
G
Solidsnone
2​
VG
St. Joseph Terrible$5
1.33​
VG
St. Joseph Terrible$0.5
3.5​
LN
Sycuan$1
1.25​
VG
Sycuan$1
1.3​
G
Sycuan$2
3​
VG
Tukwila$mixed
1.1​
VG
Ultimate Bet$25
1.5​
VG
WSOP ClevelandT5000
1​
VG
Zodiac Scorpionone
1.25​
VG
Circus Circus any version for $1 each? Where? I'll take 1,000 of them

Circus Circus any version for $1 each? Where? I'll take 1,000 of them
Damn, good catch David. That line is def incorrect, the link to circus chips is in the spreadsheet and the price is actually $4.35 per. I must’ve written that line while drinking and typing, fun times. I’ll get that corrected, thank you again

Last edited:
First, thank you for this resource. I think it could be very useful. Your efforts are appreciated.

The only thing I’d point out to in this thread is that the listed price could theoretically be inaccurate. Just because someone posts a price in a classifieds thread and then marks it sold doesn’t necessarily means it sold at the price listed. Because of this, it is kind of hard to gauge true market value. Additionally, lots of deals happen via PM, and you will occasionally get a random “Wanted Ad” where someone is willing to pay significantly more for an immediate need.

I definitely love and appreciate the effort, but I figured it might be worth adding a little context to the conversation. I definitely think this is a great starting point for someone who is looking for a general price range for specific chips.

it's also the case that people often underprice items so the fact that it was sold doesn't tell you much. the amount of time passed before someone actually dibsed an item should also be taken into consideration and anything where there are multiple backups should be rejected unless there are no other reference points.

And of course all is subject to change over fairly short periods of time especially ones in low supply. That’s where the speculation gets fun.

Interesting info. Thanks for posting. What a silly hobby.

RHC hot stamps are currently undervalued...
Buy!

it's also the case that people often underprice items so the fact that it was sold doesn't tell you much. the amount of time passed before someone actually dibsed an item should also be taken into consideration and anything where there are multiple backups should be rejected unless there are no other reference points.

And of course all is subject to change over fairly short periods of time especially ones in low supply. That’s where the speculation gets fun.

For sure. Underpriced listings are far more likely to skew the data away from true market prices because all underpriced chips get sold (almost immediately in fact), whereas overpriced chips never sell by definition.

Reactions: JWC
I can't seem to edit the post listing the abbreviated price list anymore, so I edited the spreadsheet instead. Please refer to it for updates.

I may do more price-collecting at a later time. If I do, I'll share with the community.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom