Austin Poker Club - Cash Set (1 Viewer)

What’s your problem dude
Man, I really don't have one, really. Someone gets snarky, cool? I get snarky back, uncool? Dude posts some pics saying "DO THIS", which I take as a joke (because I find the set ugly) so I respond as I took it. Nope, he found it insulting. I'm not a mind reader here.

Sincere apologies to the thread, especially @NotDunric , @krafticus , @SeanGecko and @raynmanas – all who, among others (everyone?), tried to be genuinely helpful.

It’s been a long few days and an even longer week (MRIs and what looks likes what will end up being a sweet knee surgery), I’m not offering that as an excuse, because it isn’t one. Seriously, I’ve been a dick and I apologize.

@NotDunric mock-up yesterday actually helped me visualize the dirty stack issue I wasn’t seeing, and was pretty patient with a guy that was being an asshole.

@raynmanas also offered a mock-up as well after I admitted to being a dick and not taking to the criticism well

@krafticus offered his ideas on which spots probably plat better with the colors I had chosen

@SeanGecko who tried to help me by telling me to use a bigger diameter chip or a plaque (neither of which I’m all about) but still when he did, I didn’t get what he was saying and instead ended up insulting his own set of chips – which though they aren’t my cup of tea – are a fine set and I threw shit right at them.

Everyone else, seriously I do appreciate the criticism and the helpful input, It certainly has helped me rethink what works, what doesn’t and/or what might work better – I sure as hell didn’t respond to it well initially (maybe at all?) but I did take a lot of it under advisement and made lots of changes to try and improve the set. You don’t have to accept the apology, but I’m offering it up regardless. If anyone gives a hoot, once we get some more nailed down/hammered out stuff I’ll post it up.

Anyway all of your inputs has at least taken the set idea from this.....
APC Set.png

To something more like this...
Set ideas 9-30-22.png

Sorry again, and thanks again.

I can't remember. You DO have CPC samples right? The 25¢ and $5 will be set apart because of the blurple spot on the former; however if that quarter is facing just right I wonder if that's a dirty stack issue with DG peach.
We do and have extensively looked and played with samples yes. I'd say 1/50 scoops someone might dirty stack a frac into their fives, but I'm not that concerned with it with how we've changed the set. Yes, at a certain rotation there will be no spot visible on the frac but eh

If they can do it lol....

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/chipdb/moonlight-cardhouse.165/

That looks way better!!

And I know you’re set on the $50 chip but then you need the $25 instead of a $20 because of coloring up shouldn’t require using several denoms. Right now it takes 2x$20 and 2x$5s to color up to $50. $25 is the solution

Dirty stacks are not a concern of mine with this set.
You have been advised by people that have tons of chip design experience that dirty stacks is an issue because of the spot colors and not the base colors. You have been shown a representation that clearly highlights the issue. A slight spot color change on 2 chips will resolve the issue. Have you shown your players the picture of the dirty stacks and ask them what they see? (Without telling them what to look for)

You have been advised by people that have tons of chip design experience that dirty stacks is an issue because of the spot colors and not the base colors. You have been shown a representation that clearly highlights the issue. A slight spot color change on 2 chips will resolve the issue. Have you shown your players the picture of the dirty stacks and ask them what they see? (Without telling them what to look for)

He’s already updated the mock-ups which look good now

An improvement for sure.

One last opinion/bit of advise. Spot progression may be nice, but is not absolutely required. Your favourite chip design should be used for your workhorse chips because they will be in play all the time. Just be careful of budget.
This is great advice. Spend your money on the workhorse chip. I'm not sure what that might be in your set but whichever it is, try doing a mockup with that chip having kick-ass spots and simplifying the biggest denom since it will seldom see the felt in volume.

But overall design is very nice.

p.s. I've had CPC make me 3 custom sets and the 3rd is much better than the first as I learned a lot along the way. Big believer in RFT...Right First Time

That looks way better!!

And I know you’re set on the $50 chip but then you need the $25 instead of a $20 because of coloring up shouldn’t require using several denoms. Right now it takes 2x$20 and 2x$5s to color up to $50. $25 is the solution
Or if $100 is completely off the table just get really weird with it and keep the $20 and then make the top chip $60, then at least all the chips are divisible by the others cleanly. :LOL: :laugh:

We do and have extensively looked and played with samples yes. I'd say 1/50 scoops someone might dirty stack a frac into their fives, but I'm not that concerned with it with how we've changed the set. Yes, at a certain rotation there will be no spot visible on the frac but eh

If they can do it lol....

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/chipdb/moonlight-cardhouse.165/

I don't think dayglo pink and peach base colours in the same set is an issue at all provided you chose appropriate spot colours. I think the Moonlight cardhouse is a great example of why your choice of a pink spot on the $5 is problematic. If you look at both the Moonlight tourney and cash set peach chips, the pink spot just disappears. Now it works for Moonlight because the other edge spots (dg blue and yellow for cash) pop out considerably.

I would seriously consider changing the pink spot on the $5 to dg yellow - you can even keep the peacock blue instead of imperial blue.

Or if $100 is completely off the table just get really weird with it and keep the $20 and then make the top chip $60, then at least all the chips are divisible by the others cleanly. :LOL: :laugh:
Yeah yeah, I get it guys, but when I bring chips to the table for rebuys, people have/want to break them down further and into just one denom anyhow. We dig having a $20 and $50, is that "really wierd with it" enough? Lol

I don't think dayglo pink and peach base colours in the same set is an issue at all provided you chose appropriate spot colours. I think the Moonlight cardhouse is a great example of why your choice of a pink spot on the $5 is problematic. If you look at both the Moonlight tourney and cash set peach chips, the pink spot just disappears. Now it works for Moonlight because the other edge spots (dg blue and yellow for cash) pop out considerably.

I would seriously consider changing the pink spot on the $5 to dg yellow - you can even keep the peacock blue instead of imperial blue.
I think the darker spots on both the frac and the $5 have the same affect as you're describing, letting the eye break them apart

DG yellow is gonna be a non-starter for me man lol

We've considered a lot, but the set in front of you is where we like them color wise

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom