Auctions or General Marketplace ‘For Sale’ Listings - Questions (1 Viewer)

bhpdbrad

Pair
Reaction score
Being a relatively new member - that (still) can not bid on Auctions (and frustrated, as I’ve seen some racks I’d gladly bid on)…

I was wondering what are the reasons that a seller will choose to sell on one platform of another??

And if someone can explain the “dibs” and subsequent dibs posts that I see on the the same posts. Is the first post of “dibs” the first one to gain the privilege of purchasing for the price listed?

Welcome to the forum!! Good question(s). Lot to unpack here - lol.

- Auction: Not sure how to price the chips (let the mkt set the price), everyone has equal opportunity to bid vs who just happens to see it first, potential to maximize value if multiple interested parties.

- “dibs” sale: fixed price sale, first to act usually gets the chips, “dibs” means “I will buy them” kinda like, “I call dibs” on those “xxx”. Generally, whoever says dibs first, gets it.

Multiple dibs could be for different lots, or splits (I’ll take all the green chips, etc).

Then finally, back up dibs is in the event the first dibs falls through, etc. Some members will also run an open “dibs” period for “x” amount of time and then do a random drawing if multiple folks are interested to give everyone a chance. There’s some other variants as well, but those are the basics. (It will make sense within a couple weeks - lol)

Pros ands cons to both sales approaches. Some chips have a pretty established value, set price sales are straight forward, quick and easy. Other chips may be highly desirable or don’t come up often and can be hard to price, auction may be a good format for those.

This is by no means an exhaustive explanation, but hopefully helps a little :cool

Welcome to the forum!! Good question(s). Lot to unpack here - lol.

- Auction: Not sure how to price the chips (let the mkt set the price), everyone has equal opportunity to bid vs who just happens to see it first, potential to maximize value if multiple interested parties.

- “dibs” sale: fixed price sale, first to act usually gets the chips, “dibs” means “I will buy them” kinda like, “I call dibs” on those “xxx”. Generally, whoever says dibs first, gets it.

Multiple dibs could be for different lots, or splits (I’ll take all the green chips, etc).

Then finally, back up dibs is in the event the first dibs falls through, etc. Some members will also run an open “dibs” period for “x” amount of time and then do a random drawing if multiple folks are interested to give everyone a chance. There’s some other variants as well, but those are the basics. (It will make sense within a couple weeks - lol)

Pros ands cons to both sales approaches. Some chips have a pretty established value, set price sales are straight forward, quick and easy. Other chips may be highly desirable or don’t come up often and can be hard to price, auction may be a good format for those.

This is by no means an exhaustive explanation, but hopefully helps a little :cool
Thank you. Lots of good info.
You cleared up a lot for me.

Now I just have to hope to ‘not’ see any more things I want on auction until my probation time is up.

Leaving the nagging question (to Mods) of “If I’m able to buy on the regular ‘for sale’ threads (and have done so successively - so I have a good track record)… why an extended time limit wait for an auction?

Glad to help!

Not to speak for the mods, but I think the wait time on auctions is both purchase and selling. The wait time is to ensure folks build up credibility and establish themselves with the community before they start listing or bidding on auctions, etc. it goes by quick in the long run - lol.

Your timing is actually good, there is a ChipRoom sale this Black Friday. Great opportunity for some nice chips at really good prices from a very legit, well established seller. Jim is a good dude!!

They don’t happen that often, so it’s worth taking advantage of them when they do..

It's been interesting poking around this week as a new member, navigating around the site and trying to decipher the vernacular.

The posts and wait time requirements are kinda cool in that it likely eliminates a ton of spam and garbage posts. The wait time is especially good for me as I no doubt would have bought a set of something before seeing what's all out there.

"Dibs" is not a rule, it's merely a common but not universally followed practice. Don't expect that First Come First Served will be honored, although usually it is. Sometimes sellers are explicit about it one way or the other, but usually they're not.

Don’t forget the asshole clause too. Lol
3A26F0E2-86A0-49BF-8C1E-5ED42EEE489A.jpeg

I did not know that there are separate restrictions for auctions. I don't see them in the guidelines, but I do see that I do not have sufficient privileges to post in an auction thread. Can someone point me to the relevant rules?

Edit: Didn't look hard enough: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/help/terms/

• Users are required to have a minimum of 30 posts and and 30 days as a registered member before having the ability to make posts in the Auction forum..

I did not know that there are separate restrictions for auctions. I don't see them in the guidelines, but I do see that I do not have sufficient privileges to post in an auction thread. Can someone point me to the relevant rules?

Edit: Didn't look hard enough: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/help/terms/
Yep… (Keep posting).
It becomes very frustrating when you see something in an Auction and can’t do anything about it. (Ask me how I know).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom