Athenian Owl Club Pr0n (1 Viewer)

Coyote

4 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
It supposedly started with a bird:)
OwlB.JPG

An embalmed cutie, at a good friend's place. I wish it had fulfilled its life in nature instead of providing pictorial inspiration for humans.

220px-Mochuelo_Común_(_Athene_noctua_)(1).jpg

But, in fact, the bird was about a lot more:

The_Acropolis_of_Athens_viewed_from_the_Hill_of_the_Muses_(14220794964).jpg

It's the holy bird of my native city, Athens, a place named after goddess Athena. The owl symbolizes wisdom, the goddess, and the city itself- "a diamond stone on the Earth's ring" in a poet's words.
A nice Greek expression about someone saying commonplace things is "introducing the owl to Athens" - something like introducing bourbon to Kentucky:D

800px-Athena_owl_Met_09.221.43.jpg

The holy bird was pictured on 4-drachma silver coins (tetradrachms) , as well as on the shields of the Athenian Infantry - the latter having been actually Democracy's breeding ground.
1024px-Tetradrachm_Athens_480-420BC_MBA_Lyon.jpg

I won't get into entertainment (poker and chips) before paying tribute to what was achieved in this city 25 centuries ago, which changed the world forever.
I 'll just quote the city-state leader's words, on the occasion of the state funeral for the first war dead of the City, against the militaristic holigarchy of Sparta.
He basically says that the City's grandeur wasn't just the reason those men gave their lives, but it was what made them be what they were anyway.
The most hair-raising part is that the guy (Pericles) says in full confidence and serenity that what was written, built and generally achieved in his city those last few decades would stay with mankind forever!

"We pursue beauty through frugality; we pursue wisdom without ever staying idle.."
"Mighty indeed are the marks and monuments of our empire which we have left. Future ages will wonder at us, as the present age wonders at us now."

" if a man is able to serve the state, he is not hindered by the obscurity of his condition. The freedom we enjoy in our government extends also to our ordinary life. There, far from exercising a jealous surveillance over each other, we do not feel called upon to be angry with our neighbour for doing what he likes."

" We throw open our city to the world, and never, by alien acts, exclude foreigners from any opportunity of learning or observing, although the eyes of an enemy may occasionally profit from our liberality."

"The man who can most truly be accounted brave is he who best knows the meaning of what is sweet in life and of what is terrible, and then goes out undeterred to meet what is to come."
"...Therefore, having judged that to be happy means to be free, and to be free means to be brave, do not shy away from the risks of war".

The_Parthenon_in_Athens.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, fellow Athenian! :)
I know this may make you throw up a little bit where I'm from(Midwest farm country) the pronounce Athens with a Long A as in day...... there are many other cities in Illinois with famous names and terrible pronunciations like this. I just love everything about your chips. Best of luck with them.

Nice set! Love the 5'er and the Orange and Blue tourney chip!

Beautiful set! More close ups of the inlays please! Love the round table as well. So nice.

If anyone tries to bluff you off a pot make sure to call them down and declare Molan Labe.

Thank you guys!
I actually did my utmost to use colors which could have been obtained with the technical means of the ancient era (DG Pink being an obvious exception).
For any other set, e.g. I would have used the Retro Red - for this one, it had to be the plain, tile-ish Red.
My partner had to keep reminding me that these are meant for playing poker with, not for submission at the National Archaeological Museum:)

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS and special thanks to NV (my inlay designer), @David Spragg , @T_Chan , and @Psypher1000 who tutored me with lots of patience, at a time when my understanding of chip affairs was similar to that of a brick wall:)

Last edited:
Now we all know that Athens was Sparta’s bitch back in the day, so please hurry up and do a Sparta set next :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:.

I was still trying to get over how cool your Coltrane painting was, when I bump inot this thread. Great set! Congrats! Love everything about it.

I've been thinking about how I want to do my first custom set, and I think I'll be doing some unabashed stealing errrr I mean taking inspiration from your color combos. Love all the color combos on their own and how they work with each other. Very nice. Well done sir!

Great set, congrats! Love the $5s. Mind posting all of the color combos when you get the chance?

Nice work! Congrats on a really great set. Love em. Especially fond of the 50 and the white non-denom.

Mind you, it's ready:LOL: :laugh:
All quarter-pie edge spots, Hourglass mold, huge Λ (Lambda, Greek L - for Lacaedemon) on the inlay:cool:

Teaser:
View attachment 197935
Have I actually predicted your next set lol?

I need to at least see Leonidas splattered on his shield chip.

I love Greek history and mythology. You could even go for a chip for each major city state. Sparta, Thebes, Athens, Corinth etc. and a Persian bounty or something lol.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom