Assemble-able poker table? (1 Viewer)

NayNay

Pair
Reaction score
Hey guys. interesting ask here...

I need a table that is 3 things in one: med/high quality, moveable, and easily stored in closet/Suv.

Can it be done?

I'm thinking a table top, collapseable, foam rolls out, felt snaps in tight over foam, then rail bolts into place.

Know anyone who might be able to make this a reality?

S

I'm pretty happy with the Barrington foldable table I got recently. It's sturdier than I hoped for and folds in half to store well in the closet. My only complaint is that I would have liked a sleeve or case to put it in with straps to carry it. It's kind of awkward to move around unless your closet is in the same room you are setting up in (mine is).

My buddy has a Barrington type table that I borrow frequently as a 3rd table. I wouldn't put it into the medium-high quality range, but it's better than some of the alternatives. It does store well, fits in my Compact SUV, and is surprisingly sturdy. It's a few years old, and shows signs of wear, but IMHO it beats playing on a plastic folding table. As @v1pe has stated, it is a pain in the ass to carry. Some sort of handle or strap would have been a nice addition.

My buddy has a Barrington type table that I borrow frequently as a 3rd table. I wouldn't put it into the medium-high quality range, but it's better than some of the alternatives. It does store well, fits in my Compact SUV, and is surprisingly sturdy. It's a few years old, and shows signs of wear, but IMHO it beats playing on a plastic folding table. As @v1pe has stated, it is a pain in the ass to carry. Some sort of handle or strap would have been a nice addition.

Yeah exactly, it's a cheap starter table until I build my roll big enough to snag a Chanman. Great value for $140ish shipped though in my opinion.

That's the same deal I got a few weeks ago I think. Arrived in great condition, double boxed.

I have the same Barrington and, though I've only had one game on it, I'm happy with it. Thing is heavy. Silly graphics in the middle and I'm not in love with the color, but I don't think you can do better for the money. Haven't tried to relocate it yet, but I think the best you can do for transportation is to keep the styrofoam and use the inner box.

Off topic: the instructions make a reference to locking the legs ("Make sure that the hinges are locked in the correct position"), but I don't see any locking mechanism. Am I blind or just pathologically literal?

Is the mid-seam ever an annoyance?
The table we use is probably 5-6 years old now and has been moved around a lot so the plastic strip holding down the felt has started to give. There's one spot where we will sometimes have to push the felt back in. But no, usually it lines up just fine and sits pretty flush. Haven't had issues with cards flipping or anything like that. I obviously prefer my custom tables but do not mind playing on one of these.

I have the same Barrington and, though I've only had one game on it, I'm happy with it. Thing is heavy. Silly graphics in the middle and I'm not in love with the color, but I don't think you can do better for the money. Haven't tried to relocate it yet, but I think the best you can do for transportation is to keep the styrofoam and use the inner box.

Off topic: the instructions make a reference to locking the legs ("Make sure that the hinges are locked in the correct position"), but I don't see any locking mechanism. Am I blind or just pathologically literal?
The one we use does not lock other than the legs having a flush fit when fully open.

One of my first builds was a 'portable' three-piece table topper with 5" removable rail and dealer cut-out, designed to sit on a large oblong dining room table.

The table hinges are hidden under the rail, and the two ends fold up over the middle section for transport and storage. The two-piece rail is an L-design sit-on type that connects together (across from the dealer spot) with latches underneath. When laid out, the playing surface is totally seamless, and overall dimensions (with rail) are 88" x 44".

It's still in use with the original speedcloth and whisper vinyl rail, 12 years later and on the third owner. Only downside is that the damn thing weighs over 60 lbs. and is 40x36 folded, making it somewhat difficult to handle by just one person.

It's a very solid build (3/4" plywood), and currently is used with a 6'x3' white folding table with skirt -- when set up, you'd never guess it was a folding table-top. Materials totaled about $350 total back in 2005.

My newer folding portables (similar three-piece seamless design) use 1/4" MDF with low-rider rails, and are much, much lighter -- and cost about $120 to build.

All 4 of my homemade tables are portable.

I'm thinking a table top, collapseable, foam rolls out, felt snaps in tight over foam, then rail bolts into place.

Easily done, with only basic skills needed to make it yourself (I have minimal skills). I had consicered the "bolt the rail in place" concept, but eventually ditched it. Making the rail latch together worked fine.

Table topper. Rail splits in two, and latches together.
IMG_0090.jpg

Build #2. Legs screw on/off. Folds in thirds, with a padded insert.
2013-05-18 10.47.38.jpg

Build #3 Solid rail, but the rest is in pieces. The best of the 3, IMO. With the latching rail of table 1, this would all fit in the back of an SUV.

Build #4 Super-portable for obvious reasons, but probably a little smaller than you were looking for. Still, the concepts are solid and could be upsized. Upsizing would also allow for a nicer rail, but we were looking to maximize table surface and tiny rail, so the finished rail is just individual bits.
2017-02-21 07.52.28.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom