Ascona review (SUNFLY vs Alibaba) (2 Viewers)

fishsaybloop

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Loved the look of the Ascona when I first saw it and found a seller on Alibaba selling a version of it. Managed to get samples of both Sunfly and alibaba for comparison. Paid a pretty penny for the Ascona samples (USD 5 per chip), but as they said SAMPLES!

1. Quality:
Colors
: The Sunflys have a much more refined and muted colour that's much better quality imo. But those who feel that Ascona are "dull" and like the design may enjoy the brighter colours of the Alibaba version.
Inlay: This is where Sunfly really shines, the Inlay is beautiful with that foil that really gives it the premium look.
Print: The printing on the Sunfly inlay is a little bit blurry (not sure if its an issue with the foil), but not bad at all. The edge prints on the Sunfly are WAY better than the Alibaba version, with thicker and sharper prints. The edges area also printed in with a slight rounding which is much better design.
Feel: The Polyinno chip really feels like quality all round. I can understand why some folks would say its "slippery" compared to ceramics or clays but its quite enjoyable to shuffle. Might struggle with taller stacks, but they feel great. The alibaba version managed to copy some of that feel, but its feel much less premium than the Sunflys.

2. Prices (as last checked):
SUNFLY: USD 0.7 - 0.8 per chip
ALIBABA: USD 0.4 per chip

3. Verdict
Get the original given the better quality, think its worth 2x the price (except maybe the $100 which is just meh ◡̈)

Top is SUNFLY, Bottom is Alibaba
ABA0C71E-C6C0-4B3F-A56E-BB2ADBF6452D.jpeg

029C7AF5-E872-4D9B-9552-9B249A5F2F08.jpeg

F62E36DA-C77B-42C6-ADAF-32184244AFE7.jpeg

1612A86A-07D5-4AEE-806C-1F3EDE793D76.jpeg

4521AF1C-B781-47EB-A6F3-FCC50817625A.jpeg
0EA9D864-7F68-4A56-84C9-70B85F2DBFCE.jpeg

Last edited:
You found an alibaba seller with hybrids? Interesting!

Do you think they'd do custom artwork?

Would you mind sharing the link to their page?

The original Ascona’s are great chips for who like hybrids. They stack like bricks and are very flat. However, they are slippery somewhat and feel thin. I don’t like the $100 Ascona at all, some colors are great but the design is muted which does look classy and luxurious in a way.

It’s a problem if you can’t tell which is which hahaha. Sure will send you a link, I’m not super sure it’s a hybrid but it doesn’t feel like a ceramic.
Hybrid means its a ceramic but with a real inlay in the middle. It is not printed on all its face. Is that the case with the Alibaba vendor as well?

Hybrid means its a ceramic but with a real inlay in the middle. It is not printed on all its face. Is that the case with the Alibaba vendor as well?

You’re right in that sense but it’s a sticker, so I wouldn’t consider it a hybrid. The texture of the ceramic isn’t as good either.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom