AS cash poker 400 chip set breakdown (1 Viewer)

Outkicked

Straight
Reaction score
Slowly putting together an AS cash set and a am leaning on the following breakdown:
* we play 25&¢/25¢ or 25¢/50¢ Or 50¢/$1(rarely)

100-25¢
180-$1
100-5’s
20-$25’s (I know about the $20 chips but I prefer the $25 feel like it flows better)

Or 200-$1s and 80-$5’s

Slowly putting together an AS cash set and a am leaning on the following breakdown:

100-25¢
180-$1
100-5’s
20-$25’s (I know about the $20 chips but I prefer the $25 feel like it flows better)

Or 200-$1s and 80-$5’s

I am in the exact same boat my friend.

I'm aiming to run exactly the same stakes. I feel 1 rack of quarters just isn't enough if I happen to attract more than 5 players.

I originally purchased a set of cash chips :

150 x $1
200 x $5
40 x $20
50 x $100 (don't know why I have these??:tdown:)

Obviously, I needed some fracs. However, I've added 2 racks. I don't know if 1 rack worth of Fracs is enough to make the table go. I figured can't hurt to have the extra.

I haven't actually run a cash game for more than 5 people before.

How many people do you host? Is the 1 rack of quarters good enough? I guess I may be having too many fracs.

Have you ever felt you didn't have enough fracs ?

100-25¢
180-$1
100-5’s

Or 200-$1s and 80-$5’s
Funnily enough, I have a small AS cash set, and this is my breakdown:
100 x 25¢ = 25 bank
200 x $1 = 200 bank
100 x $5 = 500 bank
16 x $25 = 400 bank
4 x $100 = 400 bank
Bank: $1525

It's 420 chips total. I'm considering adding either a barrel of 25c, or a barrel of $5 to make it 440 total.

If you were trying to keep it 400 exactly, I'd probably keep it to the numbers in your OP. I'd sacrifice one barrel of $1s before one barrel of $5s.

Last edited:
I am in the exact same boat my friend.

I'm aiming to run exactly the same stakes. I feel 1 rack of quarters just isn't enough if I happen to attract more than 5 players.

I originally purchased a set of cash chips :

150 x $1
200 x $5
40 x $20
50 x $100 (don't know why I have these??:tdown:)

Obviously, I needed some fracs. However, I've added 2 racks. I don't know if 1 rack worth of Fracs is enough to make the table go. I figured can't hurt to have the extra.

I haven't actually run a cash game for more than 5 people before.

How many people do you host? Is the 1 rack of quarters good enough? I guess I may be having too many fracs.

Have you ever felt you didn't have enough fracs ?
IMO - 2 racks of fracs is too much, I've even run 140 and it was too many. I think the perfect number of fracs for a table is either 100 or 120.

I know why you have the $100s - because they are BEAUTIFUL!! I have a few worked into my set for fun, but they don't hit the felt.

If you were trying to tighten up the set, (to 500), you could do something like:
130 x 25¢ = 40 bank
150 x $1 = 150 bank
200 x $5 = 2000 bank
20 x $20 = 400 bank
500 chips

Funny how different sized chipsets and breakdowns work for different games.

I’m working on a 6 max set cash set that looks like it will be 500 chips for the time being and that feels small to me haha

Funny how different sized chipsets and breakdowns work for different games.

I’m working on a 6 max set cash set that looks like it will be 500 chips for the time being and that feels small to me haha
This is my set for very casual play- usually limpfest etc.

I can't play this small set with PCFers. Scrub donks always want to buy in 200+BB in a 25c/50c cash game...

IMO - 2 racks of fracs is too much, I've even run 140 and it was too many. I think the perfect number of fracs for a table is either 100 or 120.

I know why you have the $100s - because they are BEAUTIFUL!! I have a few worked into my set for fun, but they don't hit the felt.

If you were trying to tighten up the set, (to 500), you could do something like:
130 x 25¢ = 40 bank
150 x $1 = 150 bank
200 x $5 = 2000 bank
20 x $20 = 400 bank
500 chips
Great information man! Thanks alot!

Food for thought! Glad I haven't gone ahead with the relabel job yet.

Looks like I'll need to thin my cash herd!!

Yea...love my hundos. They are crispy minty beautiful chips. Just for show I suppose. No real use for stakes like mine..haha

I find it interesting that everyone on this forum is all about MORE chips... except fracs! Its like forbidden to talk about more than a rack of fracs. I thought that I was the only person that likes more than 10 or 12 quarters in a .25/.25 or .25/.50 game!

When's your game? I want to buy in with as many fracs and $1 as you will let me. Shoot brb I forgot my keys in the car... :sneaky: :dead: :whistle: :whistling:

I find it interesting that everyone on this forum is all about MORE chips... except fracs! I thought that I was the only person that likes more than 10 or 12 quarters in a .25/.25 or .25/.50 game!
I LOVE FRACS!!!

I wish I had lots of extra cash...I'd have at least a dozen racks of various quarters to try and play with .

I find it interesting that everyone on this forum is all about MORE chips... except fracs! I thought that I was the only person that likes more than 10 or 12 quarters in a .25/.25 or .25/.50 game!
I've had 200 fracs, it's way to many for 1 table. It's not a work horse chip. Also imo having less fracs makes people subconsciously bet more $1 than they would if they had 45 quarters in front of them. I can't get my nits to buy in for more than $40 so I can't even get my sexy HP$20s on the felt :(

I like 1 barrel of fracs on the table per player (no additional of course in rebuys) for a .25/.25 or .25/.50 game. I would rather players make change among each other than have to deal with making change on lots of pre-flops. That is what tends to happen for us. Sometimes those change outs just take too long when two or three players need change because we only started with 12 quarters in the first place. I know... I am the crazy one here.

Here’s my 2 cents when it comes to cash game breakdowns. I know no one asked, so if you tell me to STFU and mind my own, I won’t be offended :)

These are the optimal amount of chips to have per player, broken down by denom. This will explain why I feel that 500 chips is too small for my 6 max set.

Fracs-10 per player. Anything else is a waste. More fracs add almost nothing to the total bank and clutter the game.

$1-20 per player. Only need enough to cover bets and raises pre flop and on the flop.

$5-30-40 per player. The real workhorse. Really come into use for preflop 3 bets and post flop. Could get by with 20 per player but that just brings a tear to my eye. 60 per player would actually be optimal to me but with my other recommendations, 40 per player would make for a 1000 chip set, a nice round number.

$20/$25-20 per player. Value chips that add plenty to the total bank. Perfect for late game rebuys and help keep the game going when the game gets big.

$100-10 per player. Seems that they won’t see the table for most people’s games. We typically only get a few in play but they’re nice to have as value chips and keep your set playable as your group moves up in stakes.

That would mean I “need” 600 chips for my 6 max set.

Fracs-60
$1-120
$5-240
$20/$25-120
$100-60

I have sets with two racks of quarters and sets with only one rack, we play .25/.50NL. When we play with two racks every player gets a barrel for the initial buy in and that's it. No more quarters when rebuying. That's ok - but I can confirm that one rack of quarters is enough even for a full table.

My standard breakdown for cash sets (stakes .25/.50 up to .50/1):

100 (or 200) quarters
200 $1s
200 (or 300) $5s
80 $25s and 20 $100s

So I used to think that one barrel of fracs per person would be perfect, so people don't have to make change. But what I notice starts happening (in my games when I ran too many quarters) is that one big stack will just end up with 3 or 4 barrels of fracs and the same fracs seem to move around and break change. Plus as @toynoob said, it does incite more action. I've never seen someone post flop put 2x$1 as the bet and say $1.75, they'll just bet it as $2. But if someone has stacks of quarters, they tend to do weird bets, such as $1.75

I like 1 barrel of fracs on the table per player (no additional of course in rebuys) for a .25/.25 or .25/.50 game. I would rather players make change among each other than have to deal with making change on lots of pre-flops. That is what tends to happen for us. Sometimes those change outs just take too long when two or three players need change because we only started with 12 quarters in the first place. I know... I am the crazy one here.

I don’t mean what I’m about to say in a mean spirited on condescending way, but it sounds like your players need to learn how to use their chips more effectively. I always scratch my head when people say that they need more fracs because that’s what their players are used to. They won’t learn how to use chips better and more efficiently unless you can force them to by using a better chip breakdown IMO

One rack of fracs is plenty for a full ring cash game. I’ve said it before and it bears repeating: @abby99 is right—the first 5 to buy-in get a barrel of fracs and others just make change at the table. Besides, after an orbit or two, the fracs are distributed around the table randomly anyway.

More fracs just get in the way and in a small set, waste valuable space for more workhorse chips. If your set is only 400, you need to pare down the lower value chips and maximize your workhorse ($5) and value ($20/$25/$100) chips. In such a small set, you need to be as efficient as possible and make compromises.

If only 400, I’d get:

100 x 25¢
180 x $1
100 x $5
20 x $25

Or better yet:

80 x 25¢
160 x $1
140 x $5
20 x $25

And cash hundos play.

Or get 600:

80 x 25¢
180 x $1
240 x $5
80 x $25
20 x $100

For those players you mention that slow the game down making change from pot, what exactly are they doing in the down time when pot is being raked and cards dealt? If I see I'm a blind soon and have no quarters I throw a couple singles to the chip leader when the hand is over. Not sure why that's hard.

I don’t mean what I’m about to say in a mean spirited on condescending way, but it sounds like your players need to learn how to use their chips more effectively. I always scratch my head when people say that they need more fracs because that’s what their players are used to. They won’t learn how to use chips better and more efficiently unless you can force them to by using a better chip breakdown IMO

Sure I don't take it as condescending. But like I said, I still find it interesting that people are concerned specifically with using fracs more efficiently and effectively but not necessarily other denominations of chips. I see tables play with three racks of $5's but no $25's. Or 2 $5's, 2 $25's, and no $100's and no one cares. Their are lots of ways to improve efficiency with most tables I see, but people don't seem concerned and just exclaim that they love more chips.

Sure I don't take it as condescending. But like I said, I still find it interesting that people are concerned specifically with using fracs more efficiently and effectively but not necessarily other denominations of chips. I see tables play with three racks of $5's but no $25's. Or 2 $5's, 2 $25's, and no $100's and no one cares. Their are lots of ways to improve efficiency with most tables I see, but people don't seem concerned and just exclaim that they love more chips.
It's because $5s can actually be a bet that will happen quite a bit in a micro stakes poker game. Your not opening with $25 chip when you buy in for $50-$100

I’ve just figured that they’re games play small and those value chips aren’t needed. Just a guess though

It's because $5s can actually be a bet that will happen quite a bit in a micro stakes poker game. Your not opening with $25 chip when you buy in for $50-$100

Sure but you could have the $25's storing value instead of some players having 2, 3, 4 barrels of $5's in front of them. I am just saying there are more efficient ways of managing middle/high denom chips in some games. But I don't really see anyone arguing against having more "work horse" chips for more store of value chips when it is often more effeicient.

My table seats 10 so I prefer to have 120 quarters (12 each in starting stacks) and no more for a 25c/25c game. I have never had 10 playing cash but would want to have it covered. All 25c/25c games we have, I give 12 fracs to each player and then all subsequent rebuys are in 1s and 5s. So for expensive chips, I would get 120 quarters. For more affordable chips, 200x quarters - not that I'd use them but I like to have full racks.

If I was building a AS set then 100 fracs would be fine for 8 players max - especially as the chips are comparatively bland and the 1 is the nutz. If ES, I would get as many of those lovely 8vs as I could!

I LOVE FRACS!!!

I wish I had lots of extra cash...I'd have at least a dozen racks of various quarters to try and play with .
Yes, I know the feeling. I have several different fracs that I use for my mixed set! Almost every frac that I own I have at least 200. Yes 100 works for a table but who always says less chips is always best. That's why they call us "collectors" Another reason is I can always run two tables if needed.

My AS set is

200 x 25¢
300x $1
300 x $5
100 x $20
100 x $100

You may ask, why 100 x $20's and 100 x $100? I say, WHY NOT!

Last edited:
Sure but you could have the $25's storing value instead of some players having 2, 3, 4 barrels of $5's in front of them. I am just saying there are more efficient ways of managing middle/high denom chips in some games. But I don't really see anyone arguing against having more "work horse" chips for more store of value chips when it is often more effeicient.
2,3,4 barrels of $5 chips is a dream for all micro stakes players to have. Barrels of work horse chips is exactly what you stride for. Quarters on the other hand makes no sense to me but I'm not saying it's wrong. I started with 200 quarters and left that camp real fast. It's hard enough to squeeze a $1 out of my nits, I don't want to encourage it with 200 fracs. To each their own! We can agree on we are scrub donkeys right? Let's unite on something :tup:

When we're limiting the count of the set, I think we all strive to balance chip value efficiency vs time wasted making change. Everyone feels differently on the subject. Which is why set building is subjective, personal and a journey!

I do think there is a threshold when you can have too many workhorse chips in a set or on the table. (By too many, I mean efficiency vs money spent on chips).

$25s and $100s in a 25c/50c game starting stack wouldn't play so smoothly because very few initial bets will actually be that high.
For instance, giving a $40 starting stack
  • 4 x quarters
  • 4 x $1s
  • 2 x $5s
  • 1 x $25
is pretty chip/value efficient but not time efficient as the game would be constantly making change.

I think bringing in $20s/$25s once there is an "adequate" number of $5s makes sense to hold value on the table. "Adequate" being a clearly subjective determination. For me, "adequate" used to be 1 rack of $5s, but has slowly shifted to 3 racks of $5s as perfect for a versatile single table cash set.

100-25¢
180-$1
100-5’s
20-$25’s
For a super small game, 1 rack of $5s can fit the bill. I think your original post is a balanced, playable breakdown for a set with a 400 chip cap. :tup:

My usual cash game has 6-8 people and having each player have $3 worth of fracs works out great, our game usually gets raised anywhere from $1-$1.50 in the .25/.25 game and $$1.50-$2 in the .25/.50, making change rarely happens so if playing a little deeper stacks then 180-$1s and 100-5’s would be a better option, love the responses!!! Never thought people thought about this as much as me, and besides here is my other cash set
5B654C34-3A27-4012-8002-F59FD9800E8D.jpeg

140-.25¢
190-$1
60-$5
10-$25
:ROFL: :ROFLMAO::ROFL: :ROFLMAO::ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

My usual cash game has 6-8 people and having each player have $3 worth of fracs works out great, our game usually gets raised anywhere from $1-$1.50 in the .25/.25 game and $$1.50-$2 in the .25/.50, making change rarely happens so if playing a little deeper stacks then 180-$1s and 100-5’s would be a better option, love the responses!!! Never thought people thought about this as much as me, and besides here is my other cash set
View attachment 336971
140-.25¢
190-$1
60-$5
10-$25
:ROFL: :ROFLMAO::ROFL: :ROFLMAO::ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
What else would we be thinking about while at work? :sneaky: :sneaky: No lie a friend host of mine called yesterday and said he is getting rid of his 2500 starting stacks with 50s in there... And going to the format I use with 10k. Wanted to know what I use 8-8-6-6 is my new go to. At the end of the call "I new you could tell me in seconds what I been spending a hour trying to figure out" The experts on this sight have helped me open my mind to common sense chipping which isn't so common in the dice chip realm.

My table seats 10 so I prefer to have 120 quarters (12 each in starting stacks) and no more for a 25c/25c game. I have never had 10 playing cash but would want to have it covered. All 25c/25c games we have, I give 12 fracs to each player and then all subsequent rebuys are in 1s and 5s. So for expensive chips, I would get 120 quarters. For more affordable chips, 200x quarters - not that I'd use them but I like to have full racks.

If I was building a AS set then 100 fracs would be fine for 8 players max - especially as the chips are comparatively bland and the 1 is the nutz. If ES, I would get as many of those lovely 8vs as I could!
I'm years late to this party but if anyone sees this, what do you mean by AS and ES sets? Thanks!

I'm years late to this party but if anyone sees this, what do you mean by AS and ES sets? Thanks!
AS - Aurora Star
ES - Empress Star

Also additional lingo, ESPT, ESST, and PS

Here are samples of all the chips from that “NAGB” GB…
0E4B6F4A-0C98-436E-BDF5-D104F223E32C.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom