Artwork time! (2 Viewers)

spikeithard

Flush
Reaction score
OK... so I am at the point now that I need some inlay artwork done. But I am at a serious creative roadblock. I have been looking through as many chips pictures as I can to get ideas of the direction I want to take this project. I have J5 waiting for the go ahead with any ideas and he will work his magic. But he needs something to go on at least and right now I have zilch.
Based on the colors and spots I have selected. I dont want the art to take away from the chips. I want it to compliment them. I am thinking lighter inlays though, not black.
I am wrestling with a few ideas for name. I dont think I want anything to funny for these like 'the lazy gorilla' or the 'sleepy fish' etc. I am leaning towards a clever yet classy name and look. Something maybe like 'The 5th Ace Club' or 'The Eiffel Card Club' (going along theme with the FDL). An Eiffel tower theme may be pretty cool for these?

I went through all my passions/hobbies in life and none of them really align with what I see for this project.

Ideally I would love to make this a very classy/artsy looking set. I love the idea of an Italian/french/Mediterranean theme or even an Miami beach type theme. I love beaches, sunsets etc. The 'boulevard' set that is coming out soon has great inlay art that really rubs me the right way also :)

Maybe this thread can help get the creative juices flowing again.. if anyone could suggest anything I am all for it. And what about color matching inlays? yay? nay?

Again here is my mock up..

but also here some art I like a lot...
$_35.JPG

bivey-albums-chateau-de-noix-picture16492-dsc-0474.jpg

Thanks!!!

Attachments

• Final.jpg
    Final.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 310
I think an Eiffel Tower theme would be sick on the FDL mold. As for color-matching: I think it's really up to you. There are some AMAZING sets out there that don't use color-matching. The Lady Luck Club sets leap to mind, but it's one of the classiest inlay to ever exist in my opinion.

I have to admit that the Chataeux de Noix inlay is a beautiful inlay that is well matched to the FDL mold. A Paris-inspired inlay, or an Eiffel tower theme would work well with the FDL. Colour matching is definitely a personal preference.

Nothing to offer you yet as I'm in the same boat. I've got the chips, just need to label them. Searching for a label design idea too. One I'm favoring is "Easy Money Poker Club" with a faded background of dollar signs.

thanks for your input :confused: srrsly

I'm not totally sure how to respond to this. I think maybe this thread could've done without it.

Back to your chips, Spike. I'm wondering if you're dead-set on using the same spot configuration for the middle two chips? Obviously they're your chips and you do with them as you please, but it kinda throws me off personally.

you would rather see all different spot patterns?

I just think the set would look nicer if the spot patterns were either all different or all the same. I think a 414 edgespot on the 2nd chip would look nice as far as spot-progression goes, but that's just my opinion. It really just comes down to what you're happy with.

ya I am kind of now leaning more that way. A Paris/Eiffel them. Something really sharp and 'sexy'. Maybe even a Champs elysees theme?
You know spike, Aviation Club is located in Champs Elysees? Maybe that might give an inspiration to a set name. I will try to find some inlay models for you tomorrow.

You know spike, Aviation Club is located in Champs Elysees? Maybe that might give an inspiration to a set name. I will try to find some inlay models for you tomorrow.
Thanks..

Its really gaining traction now in my mind to use the Paris/Eiffel/champs elysees theme. Something really clean, classy and artistic perhaps. Dont want anything that will overpower the colors and 'pop' of the chip but complement it.

If anyone could add to my brainstorming session here I would be very appreciative!

Maybe try your hobbies with a French theme?

If I remember correctly you like badminton?

- - - - - - - - - Updated - - - - - - - - -

Also on a drumming touch. (Similar to Chateau De Nox)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hougoumont

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 198
I think a very simple Eiffel Tower, maybe just drawn with 2 or 3 paint brush strokes, white inlay with the tower color matched to the chip, black " the Eiffel club" under that with a red denom?

If you borrow inspiration from the Chateau De Noix set you are starting in a good place. There was a thread in the old country about if you were to have anyone else's custom set whose would it be? For me, it is Chateau De Noix.

+1 for the idea that an Eiffel Tower set could be done extremely well with the right touch.

If you borrow inspiration from the Chateau De Noix set you are starting in a good place. There was a thread in the old country about if you were to have anyone else's custom set whose would it be? For me, it is Chateau De Noix.

+1 for the idea that an Eiffel Tower set could be done extremely well with the right touch.

very nice thanks. Yes, could get the eiffel tower in there faded in the background or the tower and street lights.. or even the city-scape? but I would still need a new name. something in french of course..

Im seeing this as a jumping off point for J5.. but get the Eiffel in there and some stars or something.. nice French font...I love the faded,gradient background

37060d1368971307-chateau-de-noix-pr0n-dsc_0469.jpg

Just a thought...

Wondering what you thought about using the name "Poque" in the Paris Chip font (or something close? This combined with the Eiffel Tower and FDL might go quite nicely together...

Below is an article I pulled-

Most Poker historians tend to lean towards the French “Poque” origin, in terms of where the game directly got its name, because Poker seems to have first popped up and spread from New Orleans in the very early 19th century. Not too surprisingly from the location, the French game of Poque was commonly played here, lending credence to the “Poque” origin.

I think the Spanish folks would argue that lol

another possible angle would be a 'Rue Bourbon' chip. The FDL would work well with a New Orleans style chip as well..

hmmmmmm

stock-photo-bourbon-street-beads-and-single-mardi-gras-mask-1019916.jpg

street-signs-banner.png

il_340x270.662892203_pulf.jpg

stock-vector-antique-street-light-silhouettes-and-detailed-black-and-white-vector-outlines-167700587.jpg

Last edited:
I love the idea of an Italian/french/Mediterranean theme or even an Miami beach type theme

What about the Coliseum Cardroom

Rome-Coliseum5.jpg

or maybe the Pisa Poker Room

tower_580x.jpg

As nice as the leaning tower idea is I would like to stick with the Paris theme. 'Paris after dark' .. 'poque de Paris' .. etc. Just trying to get the name set now. J5 can work his magic with the rest..
Let's brainstorm!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom