Giveaway Are you good at crossword puzzles? Win a poker mystery box! (1 Viewer)

Pinesol13

Flush
Reaction score
Ok, so here's the story. I've been trying to make my own crossword puzzle for a custom newspaper that I'm making to be part of my Halloween party invitation. It turns out, making a crossword puzzle from scratch is not easy. This is my first attempt. I know I didn't follow some of the basic rules of making a crossword puzzle, like symmetry, and I have a lot of two letter words... I wanted to post it here because I figured with so many members, there's got to be a few that can give me knowledgeable feedback. Then I thought let's make it fun and turn it in to a giveaway.

Mystery Box will include, but not limited to:
14 buttery smooth leaded paulsons
Cut cards
Dealer button(s)
Other buttons
KEM or similar quality playing cards
Other goodies

The crossword puzzle is below. The puzzle has a secret message in it which, hopefully, is revealed once completed. First person to post the completed puzzle and say the secret message wins! And remember any feedback on the puzzle is much appreciated.

crss_final1_.png

asdfasdf

oh well :'(

While your #33 down is technically incorrect, I may switch to your answer and adjust the clue so this one is not so obscure. "sounds" works, and doesn't affect any other words.

*EDIT: Nope, just realized it affects the "secret message" :x

i googled so many times for that band and there's no mention of a "stnng"

https://www.allmusic.com/birthplace/minneapolis-mn-mz0000000488/asc/5

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_of_Minnesota

is this a band that people would know off the top of their heads?

No, I don't think so :LOL: :laugh: . I think I ended up with that word early on in the process, as I was trying to make other words work into the area. For some reason I thought I was committed to that word in order to keep Arachnophobia and the secret message in there. But I see now that I can change it.

Also I'm unsure about Oarsweed and Eider.

I thought RedCat would be a little tricky for anyone not familiar with the Finger Lakes.

i meant before knowing what it is. did anyone google this to find out the answer? i tried about ten links about "noise rock bands", a few that even listed off ones from minneapolis and no mention of them.
Definitely, know nothing of Minneapolis bands or even what noise rock is.

1622753890254.png

Was right there in the results from google before even clicking on any links

Fun puzzle. Thank you.

Regarding edits, I absolutely love the edits Will Shortz adds to the NYT to make it more fun for the reader. Specifically, I love how he uses the answers that have multiple definitions and then rewrites the clues to support puns. This will be fun for you to write and more importantly it's very pleasing for the solver to uncover those puns.

At a quick glance, some immediate ideas:

Across
7. Hockey infraction at the GNR concert? Slashing.
16. Wolverine's favorite precipitation? Hail.
18. Letter from Norman? Mailer.

etc.

Good luck. It's already A+, but adding puns would elevate it to chef's kiss.

Cword.png

I'm also at work, and all I managed to do was print the damn thing out. Nice work!

Sorry, I guess I'm a bit late to the party, but I started trying to construct crosswords about a year ago so I definitely wanted to take a stab at this.

1623467064146.png

Imo the hardest part about a crossword is figuring out where to put the black squares in order to be able to get a nice fill...so kudos to you for fitting the diagonal theme word in and also getting a lot of nice words in the grid like EXORCIST, ARACHNOPHOBIA, JEEPERS CREEPERS, etc. You had some sweet clues too; I especially liked 41-Across and 16-Across. The diagonal theme word was fresh and unexcepted, although I suspect it may go unnoticed by some people, depending on what your audience is. Some puzzles have circles placed in the grid to indicate (a) hidden word(s) so I guess that's an option.

Regardless, congrats on your first crossword, quite an achievement.

Sorry, I guess I'm a bit late to the party, but I started trying to construct crosswords about a year ago so I definitely wanted to take a stab at this.

View attachment 717952

Imo the hardest part about a crossword is figuring out where to put the black squares in order to be able to get a nice fill...so kudos to you for fitting the diagonal theme word in and also getting a lot of nice words in the grid like EXORCIST, ARACHNOPHOBIA, JEEPERS CREEPERS, etc. You had some sweet clues too; I especially liked 41-Across and 16-Across. The diagonal theme word was fresh and unexcepted, although I suspect it may go unnoticed by some people, depending on what your audience is. Some puzzles have circles placed in the grid to indicate (a) hidden word(s) so I guess that's an option.

Regardless, congrats on your first crossword, quite an achievement.
Thanks! Regarding the secret phrase, it's fine if not everyone gets it. In fact, I kinda like that. It's like an Easter egg. For my last Halloween party invite it also had a secret "Easter egg" in it, and literally only one out of 50 people got it, which I thought was hilarious.

I'm not sure if the secret phrase will have any purpose. I'm also making a website that's related to the invitation/party. Maybe I'll make one page password protected, and the phrase is the password...?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom