Are there any cards (Copag) made in South America that don't suck? (1 Viewer)

Jake14mw

Flush
Reaction score
Okay, yes, a bit of a dramatic title. I have played with many many different brands of cards. We all have our preferences and opinions about cards. The only brand that I have universally hated have been Copag. I think maybe I simply got some bad decks of them? I have had three setups of Copags in my life, one deck that I simply threw in the garbage long ago, one setup of ESPN Poker Club branded, and some deck that has very strange PIPs on them that I don't know the name of. I find them flimsy, unsubstantial, they bow easily, and the faces wear quickly. In fact, the only thing I like about them are the plastic boxes they come in!

In feeling the two setups I have, it almost seems like Copag didn't bother applying any finish to them. I know Copags are popular, so what am I missing here?

As far as the South America thing goes, I tried to to acquire cards made on all six populated continents. I couldn't find any plastic cards made in Africa, but I have ones made on the other five continents. When I ask players what continent they want to use cards from, if they say South America, they get a slap in the face, we play one hand with Copags, and I ask again!

The answer is yes.... & they cost about $18 a deck (plus shipping).... I just reviewed 'em. :D

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/the-redneck-poker-card-database.52229/post-1371923

OK, so technically, I'm not 100% sure those were not actually made in Belgium rather than Brazil.... & all kidding aside....

Copag's "Texas Hold'Em" decks have a finish that can actually be classified as "linen"... front and back. & as far as PVC cards go.... they're not bad.

They're not my 1st choice, but they don't suck.

$_57.JPG

At $10ea they're not cheap either. You're effectively paying Acetate price for a PVC deck. But, at least they finished 'em.

RED: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0029N2IS8
BLACK: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000YUG096

Copags originally became popular because back during the poker boom there weren't as many options for decent quality plastic cards.

Being able to jump on the Internet & place an order from Holland wasn't really a thing yet. & If you looked on Amazon back then you likely would only find Kem, Bicycle, (both of which were more expensive), or Copag.

Any other option at the time would have been something akin to Cartamundi Classics... cheap, unfinished, & slicker than a bucket of smelts.

Last edited:
Thanks. No way I'm paying $18 for a deck of Copags. Even $10 is a lot for those others, but maybe I will have to give Copag one last chance?

The answer is yes.... & they cost about $18 a deck (plus shipping).... I just reviewed 'em. :D

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/the-redneck-poker-card-database.52229/post-1371923

OK, so technically, I'm not 100% sure those were not actually made in Belgium rather than Brazil.... & all kidding aside....

Copag's "Texas Hold'Em" decks have a finish that can actually be classified as "linen"... front and back. & as far as PVC cards go.... they're not bad.

They're not my 1st choice, but they don't suck.

$_57.JPG

At $10ea they're not cheap either. You're effectively paying Acetate price for a PVC deck. But, at least they finished 'em.

RED: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0029N2IS8
BLACK: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000YUG096

Copags originally became popular because back during the poker boom there weren't as many options for decent quality plastic cards.

Being able to jump on the Internet & place an order from Holland wasn't really a thing yet. & If you looked on Amazon back then you likely would only find Kem, Bicycle, (both of which were more expensive), or Copag.

Any other option at the time would have been something akin to Cartamundi Classics... cheap, unfinished, & slicker than a bucket of smelts.
Do the Texas hold ‘em sets have all the same index?

I believe so, yes.

Poker Size, Jumbo Index only. & only as single decks, no sets.

In fact, I'm not 100% convinced it's even a different card stock. It's entirely possible it's just another added intermediate/finish coating on top of the normal stock accounting for the added thickness & increase in stiffness.

Last edited:
You missed the group buy for "Angel playing cards"?
Ah, thanks for the reminder. For some reason, when I was thinking Asia, I was just thinking China. I do have two different setups of the Angel cards. I love the feel of the bridge sized Club Poker cards, but the stretched out suits really bother me. The poker sized Aristo Club are nice, but I just can't seem shuffle them well at all.

Whoa I love my COPAG cards! haha I've got these ones (Amazon link) and a set of the standard two color suits. They're the decks I always travel with when I play outside of my own place since they are plastic and can take a beating.

Other than that I love my elephant playing cards, but I have no idea where their made and a quick glance at the amazon page didn't really give any info. amazon link.

I was about to tell that but @Dix bit me to it. I heard that some Copag cards are being made by Fournier in Spain, if that is the case they will last much longer.
Other factor is that Copag cards wear off (losing paint) much faster if they are exposed to humidity. Maybe that is the case, if you keep them in dry environment they should last longer.
Lastly I can not guess what makes you to stick to Copag? Slippery and ugly. Only thing good about them is the fact that they easy to buy and always the same exact quality.
The choice is yours...

New Bicycle Prestige made in Spain are also good alternative for a dollar spent...

Lastly I can not guess what makes you to stick to Copag? Slippery and ugly. Only thing good about them is the fact that they easy to buy and always the same exact quality.
The choice is yours...
Personally, I like the fact that they are slippery. I can't stand when cards feel "sticky" and I'm too impatient to break cards in. Also, I wouldn't say they are ugly so much as just a pretty standard design which is helpful for people who may be learning. That's also one of the reasons I got a few decks with 4 suit colors, so people can recognize patterns easier. Plus like you said, they are cheap, easy to buy and are durable so they can take a beating when I bring them from house to house and I can get a lot of use out of them.

I do use my fancier decks when playing at my own place though, and with people who are more experienced with poker.

thats just my personal opinion..I call Copag "ugly no.2..". First place goes to Gemaco.If you want to know why compare face cards on Kem and Copag. Still I play with them and I also have 4 color deck but rarely use it since my friends dont like it, even for PLO.
Personally, I like the fact that they are slippery. I can't stand when cards feel "sticky" and I'm too impatient to break cards in. Also, I wouldn't say they are ugly so much as just a pretty standard design which is helpful for people who may be learning. That's also one of the reasons I got a few decks with 4 suit colors, so people can recognize patterns easier. Plus like you said, they are cheap, easy to buy and are durable so they can take a beating when I bring them from house to house and I can get a lot of use out of them.

I do use my fancier decks when playing at my own place though, and with people who are more experienced with poker.

I was about to tell that but @Dix bit me to it. I heard that some Copag cards are being made by Fournier in Spain, if that is the case they will last much longer.
Other factor is that Copag cards wear off (losing paint) much faster if they are exposed to humidity. Maybe that is the case, if you keep them in dry environment they should last longer.
The choice is yours...

Agreed surfik. And yet they’re always near the top of “best” playing cards lists The custom playing cards market has ballooned so much recently with limitless crowd-funded decks (some good some not so good yet commanding big money) that choosing cards can actually be intimidating. I feel the casual player hops on the internet sees every other article touting Copag’s and ponies up. I say that knowing 3 guys that play Copag’s that i wouldn’t stand a chance with at the table.

Agreed surfik. And yet they’re always near the top of “best” playing cards lists The custom playing cards market has ballooned so much recently with limitless crowd-funded decks (some good some not so good yet commanding big money) that choosing cards can actually be intimidating. I feel the casual player hops on the internet sees every other article touting Copag’s and ponies up. I say that knowing 3 guys that play Copag’s that i wouldn’t stand a chance with at the table.
well, most of the decks financed by
crowdfunding are paper decks
but we always have Desjgn

well, most of the decks financed by
crowdfunding are paper decks
but we always have Desjgn
Facts... and mostly for cardists. 300 for a deck printed on classic Bicycle stock....I was at my buddy’s home game. Dude Brought out Fontaine Reds (no clue what they were) he bought on the secondary market and was spouting off at the cost of em. Unplayable but they looked killer nice. It was a lesson learned for sure. We’re just bonehead kids trying to wise up after all

Well, Copag has a deal going where if you buy 2 setups, they give you two free decks of 2017 WSOP cards, so I ordered some to try out. I don't know why I'm trying to make myself like these things!

Ah, thanks for the reminder. For some reason, when I was thinking Asia, I was just thinking China. I do have two different setups of the Angel cards. I love the feel of the bridge sized Club Poker cards, but the stretched out suits really bother me. The poker sized Aristo Club are nice, but I just can't seem shuffle them well at all.
How do you compare the flexibility on Club Poker to Aristo Club? @Jake14mw

Well my biggest problem with Copag is ugly grafics and font on numerical cards

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom