Are Paulson chips good as an investment? (1 Viewer)

jkkl94

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Okay i want to be upfront and admit that i have been collecting some Paulson sets over the past 3 years as a means of investment. Not sure if it is the best item to collect as an investment because the appreciation is slow but there is a demand and since the home sets are out of production, scarcity and demand is present.

The problem is, in my country i find it extremely difficult to find serious buyers who are willing to spend a few grand on some poker chips as a collectible or play set. That means when i do need to liquidate it fast, more often than not i'll just be stuck? Honestly, they are really pretty to look at and i do get nice compliments from guests when they see it.

Of course i am not in a rush to sell it off, if i did i would be posting on classifieds already. I'm just thinking are there any other collectors like me that see it as an investment? Do you see this skyrocketing some day or is it more like a slow steady appreciation and a store of value? Like a luxury watch?

PAULSONS 2021
Classics - ultra mint, used like once from previous owner?
147 $1
150 $5
99 $25
100 $100

National poker series - murdered
150 x $1
145 x $5
100 x $25
50 x $100
49 x $500

CDI chips - mint
200x $5
200 x $25
100 x $100
50 x $500
50 x $1000

World Top hat n cane - Brand new, never felted
$1 x 150
$5 x 150
$25 x 96
$100 x 50
$1000 x 75

WhatsApp Image 2022-05-04 at 3.08.26 AM.jpeg

Your inbox probably just exploded.

I don't really consider poker chips to be investment grade material. But chips that are always in demand can be used to park some of your money.

Lots of people have overpaid for some of their sets. Others have made serious profit.

An argument can be made for older, leaded chips being a good investment, simply because they'll never be made again (or at least that's a safe assumption.)
But I'd say that investing in any other Paulson chips is lunacy. Because at any point, GPI could decide to start cranking out chips at $1.50 apiece for the general public.

I've heard that sunlight can cause the colors to fade? If that is the case, your display method might cost value, unless it blocks UV. Someone can certainly correct me if I'm wrong here.

What is "ultra mint" ?
To me (and to most of us), mint is just as new.
You seem to say that you can detect they have been played at least once. So I guess you mean "near mint".

Do you see this skyrocketing some day
Isn’t that precisely what has happened these last couple of years.

An argument can be made for older, leaded chips being a good investment, simply because they'll never be made again (or at least that's a safe assumption.)
But I'd say that investing in any other Paulson chips is lunacy. Because at any point, GPI could decide to start cranking out chips at $1.50 apiece for the general public.
This. Although it’s not exactly cheap to get in on those anymore.

Please, for the love of all things holy, store those chips on something more sturdy. That thin glass shelving is giving me a panic attack.

investments should generate income. Collectibles can change in value, but don’t generate income. Also, perpetual increases in value are not guaranteed.

Poker chips are collectibles. If you consider them investments you might be rationalizing the purchases.

investments should generate income. Collectibles can change in value, but don’t generate income. Also, perpetual increases in value are not guaranteed.

Poker chips are collectibles. If you consider them investments you might be rationalizing the purchases.
Investments don't necessarily have to generate income. Some do, through interest or dividends, but an investment sorely for the purpose of capital gains (which the OP is talking about) is still an investment.

Collectibles are still valid investment vehicles. I mean, I wouldn't invest in poker chips in lieu of other things, but no investment is really guaranteed.

Allocating money to poker chips hoping prices will go up is a punt - because the hobby is niche, illiquid and pricing/supply dynamics opaque. A punt can work in your favor, but that doesn’t necessarily make it a good investment. My opinion is that it is not.

Way too slow of an investment. Try crypto or stocks. Sounds like hoarding and taking up space. Maybe older chips, but even then the buyer might not want them years later or die off. There are people who would enjoy them instead of a very small "investment" sitting around.

Last edited:
It not hard to find serious buyer here in Singapore that spend Few K on a set if it match the market price.

It harder to find chipper that spend lesser than 5 digits on chipping than not.

Why should We be buying locally at way OVER the market price when We could be buying from PCF and reship them back at a cheaper cost are the reason that no one is buying.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom