Are dice chips okay for casual games? (1 Viewer)

Mincasual

Reaction score
I'm just planning on playing casual games with family and friends, probably even sometimes with no gambling. After reading around it's pretty clear that everyone here hates dice chips, but I just want something cheap and with no denomination. Are dice chips so bad that even the most casual person shouldn't use them?

If it’s all that’s in your budget, then by all means, use them.

However, there are some great chips out there for very cheap and dice are just considered generally terrible. Keep an eye on the classifieds and try and pick up some cheap ceramics. It’ll just elevate your game.

You mean when you play with chips without denominations, nobody ever asks "how much is this chip worth again?" at least once every 5 minutes?

And remember, everything is relative. We just hate dice chips when compared to almost every other chip that can be obtained. However, if dice chips were all that ever existed, then we'd probably love them.

If you’re a member of this forum, then the answer to your title question is no!

Edit: for any game that I’m apart of.

If it’s for you and you don’t care, then do what you like. But finding your way to a poker chip forum, isn’t upgrading from dice chips the whole point?

Last edited:
Well, I think at some point most, if not all of us started with dice chips or a similar variant. So at some point in time they were “OK” to use - lol.

However, once you’ve played with nicer chips, the appreciation will take effect and then it’s all down hill from there - lol:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I don’t believe this is a real inquiry.

1637396064478.jpeg

They do work of course. Guess 99% of casual home game players use them.

Not the best feeling though, especially when compared to higher end chips.

However for a nice poker night with friends, the table is honestly more important than the chips, IMO. A proper poker table with dice chips is nicer than a kitchen table with paulson chips.

Last edited:
My opinion is probably sacrilege but dice chips are absolutely fine for a fun home family game and from what you have said will cover what you need. Everyone at the table will probably think they are great as well and you won't have spent a fortune. When my son started getting interested in holding home games last year I bought him a dice set to get him started and he has had a lot of use out of them, although he has been eyeing up my Paulson set every time he comes home for the holidays now. If you get into chipping then you can start looking around at what's available after you have your game up and running. That's when you start visiting this site every day and that's when you start buying samples.

I should make it a bit clearer, when I say start visiting this site every day what I mean is you will start checking the site every ten minutes all day every day and constantly refresh the classifieds section, if that happens then you will know that it is time to upgrade.

I should make it a bit clearer, when I say start visiting this site every day what I mean is you will start checking the site every ten minutes all day every day and constantly refresh the classifieds section, if that happens then you will know that it is time to upgrade.
giphy-11.gif

However, if dice chips were all that ever existed, then we'd probably love them.
I’m sure most of us did love them at some point.
Yes, they’re perfectly fine, as long as you don’t stack them higher than ten (ten-stacks make me puke, but that’s another story.) The only reason I came here was because I wanted chips with numbers on them. But we all did fine, for years, with dice chips.

>Are dice chips okay for casual games?

I promise you, the Poker Chip Police will not arrest you for it.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with dice chips; they'll play poker just fine. There are nicer options for about the same price or just a little more, but there's no need to bother if you don't care. Most players don't. If you're happy with what you have then you should save yourself a whole bunch of time and energy and not worry about it.

But if you want to use nicer chips, well, then there's a very deep rabbit hole you can jump into.

whiterabbit.jpg

78f0f50285dd11bef4946bc47283e49281-pills-lede.rhorizontal.w1200.jpg

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

this has gotta be a troll.

i remember being SOOOO excited when waiting for my "clay" dice chips to get in stock at costco. i called pretty much every day to check if they were in stock yet...

this has gotta be a troll.

i remember being SOOOO excited when waiting for my "clay" dice chips to get in stock at costco. i called pretty much every day to check if they were in stock yet...
I recall the day I got home from that shop in Burnaby, MRC Poker. I got this set of Yin Yang poker chips. Cash and tourney.

Then, a week later I meet up with Tony Chan, bought a poker table, discover the site, DISCOVER PAULSON CHIPS....

Now I never even go to their website...maybe if I was desperate to overpay for Kem or Copag setups, but I'm better off driving down to Tony Chan's shop and loading up on Desjgn setups!!

I'm just planning on playing casual games with family and friends, probably even sometimes with no gambling. After reading around it's pretty clear that everyone here hates dice chips, but I just want something cheap and with no denomination. Are dice chips so bad that even the most casual person shouldn't use them?

Use whatever you want. If you get them into play and like them, great. If not, you know where to come for an upgrade!

I found my old dice chip set. I washed the chips, i took some fine sandpaper and fixed edges and used some on the hole chip. Then i put some mineral oil on them and colors came back. They stack and feel better. I know i did to much for some shitty chips but i did it for nostalgia. And now i give them for anyone who wants to borrow my chipset when im out of town :)
Also i dont think dice chips are the worst. 4 gram plastics dont even stack more than 10. I think thats the worst. Bad thing about dice chipsets are the breakdown. Read this forum, deside on colors you want and need and buy seperatly. Poker with dice chips is better than no poker :)

I’m playing weekly at a local vfw post that’s using dice chips.

I need to upgrade them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom